FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Gewo Königsklasse Karbon Sieben Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gewo Königsklasse Karbon Sieben Review
    Posted: 10/27/2017 at 12:30pm
Hey all, so I picked up one of these out of sheer curiosity this week.  79.5g weight, FL handle, 157x150, Made in Germany (presumably by SoulSpin).  Gewo give the construction as:

Ayous (core) - Kevlar/Carbon - Ayous - Limba

I measured the thickness as 5.4mm

Visuals

It's very well-made, no imperfections anywhere.  The plies appear to be jointless, wings are pre-sanded and are super-smooth.  Handle is an oval flare and the wing shape quite shallow and feels very comfortable in the hand.  The text on the handle is etched in and feels a little rough, but I didn't notice it in play.  Comes in a flat Gewo box with a certificate of authenticity - I suppose this is a nod to Soulspin's "handmade" ethos.

Peak Frequency 1291Hz.

Basic Speed and Feel

It's a definite Off- for me - a little bit faster than the WSC, a little bit slower than a Maze or Vega Pro.

The feel is solid - surprisingly so considering the weight, materials and thickness.  No hollow feel, very little carbon ping or composite dullness, good-size sweet spot, muted vibrations at the very outside edge.

Impact feel is a bit harder than the usual limba outer blades, especially considering the ayous medials.  Touch feel is still pretty gentle however.

Throw

Medium-high, bit lower than a WSC, higher than Maze, about the same as Vega Pro.

Catapult

Again, a bit surprising.  For a blade so thin and light, the catapult isn't as pronounced as I had expected.  It's there but it's quite mild and comes in late.

Overall

For a player like me, this blade is incredible.  It has just enough...everything...to support a mixed-up game where you're everywhere, doing everything.  It has the solidity, basic speed and linearity to support a good close-in block/hit game, good touch and feel for the short game, and just enough flex and throw to go loop-loop from further back.  I just feel like I can do anything with it.

Negatives - it isn't amazingly fast, it's pretty light (resulting in head-heaviness with two heavy rubbers), it's expensive compared to some of its peers (although it's a Soulspin blade, so this is their usual kind of price range), it doesn't have the flex or ultimate speed for an all-out loop maniac.

I'd recommend this to allround attacking players with reasonable basic skills who like to do everything when at the table.  Someone who wants a sensible upgrade on a WSC or perhaps carbon allround blades like a Grubba Carbon or Allround Classic Carbon, or a slightly tamer BTY Maze or Innerforce-ALC, maybe even a slightly slower (but better-made) Carbonado 45.

I'd recommend it with medium eurojap rubbers and above - I don't think it's fast enough for unboosted tacky rubber unless you're very much an allround player who camps out at the end line.

Random thoughts from earlier

Got carried away and stuck the rubbers on before I took photos. Out of practice.  Will have a session on monday with it, but initial impressions are - well made, a bit light, comfortable oval-FL handle with no rough edges anywhere, a bit head-heavy with R47 and V42 on there.  With this construction it might be a luxury take on a Waldner Senso Carbon, but we will see.

First Update

So, first session in the bag.  It isn't so far from the WSC in many ways - the overall speed is similar (a bit higher at a similar weight), and it shares the excellent woody feel.  Despite being a light, thin blade it does feel slightly stiffer than the WSC, and a whole lot more solid.  The WSC can have a dry, airy feel, but this lacks that.  On the other hand, the KKS doesn't have the vibrations the WSC brings (for good or bad), lacks a little feedback in comparison, and appeared to throw a little lower.

So far, I like the KKS a lot.  It feels like a sensible, modern upgrade on the WSC.  It plays with a touch more precision in the direct game, perhaps at the expense of some arc when looping, and is very strong in all areas with no obvious weaknesses apart from lacking a little speed (although it's surprisingly good considering the weight).  I think the main issue will be the price - it's a lot more than the WSC and I'm not sure it earns that in performance terms.  But the build quality is much higher than most sub €100 blades, the handle and wings are super comfortable, and it still comes in a fair bit cheaper than, example from thin air, an Innerforce ALC.

Second Update

I decided that I was impressed enough with the setup to go straight into a league match a few days later with it.  There was some pressure on this fixture - the opposing team have one very strong player who tends to win his 3 and the doubles, so getting a 6-4 result against the others is usually the aim.  Idiocy to use a new setup in a situation like this as a poor performance can be the difference.  But I'm a massive idiot as everyone will already know, so off we go.  Luckily, I had a really good match.  We won the doubles, I lost against their uber-player to 11-9 in the 5th, and won the fixture 6-4.  

This blade has incredible gameplay balance, considering the construction.  It's thin, lots of ayous, but feels very solid and has a reasonably sharp feel considering the limba outer.  The Rasanters are fast-ish rubbers, but the blade has a moderate basic speed (nothing too monstrous) and reasonable catapult.  Switching between controlling, close-in blocks and slightly more expansive looping was great and it felt very cool to be able to vary the pattern of play so easily.

The negatives - not massively fast, so not a replacement for players who need a bomb.  Balance is head-heavy with these rubbers and my timing was out on occasion (top edges mostly), but that will come from familiarity.  Throw on hard loops felt a bit lower than I'm used to, but it was marginal and I think that's more to do with how I move between a tacky and non-tacky RH rubber so I lay that at my door, not the blade's.

As much as the obvious comparison is with the WSC, during the match I was thinking about how much it reminded me of a BTY Maze.  The KKS is slower with more wood feel (really, it has excellent feel for a blade of this type), but it has a hardness and precision that belies the limba outer in the same way that the Maze does.  So rather than a WSC Turbo, a Maze Light?

Edited by AndySmith - 11/07/2017 at 6:40am
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Sponsored Links

vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2017 at 1:24pm
Quality looks very good. What was the price? (Nothing listed on your website link). How much did is weight with those rasant rubbers? tia
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2017 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Quality looks very good. What was the price? (Nothing listed on your website link). How much did is weight with those rasant rubbers? tia

If the price is at all reasonable please double the amount before replying to VanJr.  The last thing he needs is another racket.

Mark - Still bewildered by the time VanJr used two different rackets during the same rally.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2017 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Their catalog says $139.
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2017 at 12:21am
You can order it from Contra.de for about 85eur+shipping.

Edited by Ray - 10/28/2017 at 12:21am
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 11:38am
The setup weight is 172g (R47 Ultramax, V42 2.0mm), and I paid €120 shipped.  I see the price at Contra to be €100 right now, which may be a tax thing if I compare with Ray's price.  Or maybe I've missed the boat on that one.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 12:13pm
I am kind a curious. Do you guys from UK have to pay the VAT when buying from Europe?
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

I am kind a curious. Do you guys from UK have to pay the VAT when buying from Europe?

Yes.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2017 at 6:41am
Updated with naked pictures and more words.
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2017 at 8:01am
Hi Andy, thanks for the review
If I'm not mistaken, you have already played with OSP Virtuoso CRWi Uni right? Since it has similar construction, could you tell us the main differences in playability you found between Virtuoso CRWi and KKS?
6Finger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2017 at 8:37am
Seems like a great blade and just what I am looking for, just price is too high.
Great review!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2017 at 8:39am
Originally posted by shinshiro shinshiro wrote:

...between Virtuoso CRWi and KKS?

Ah yes, a good comparison to make!

My CRWi was a lot heavier (93g I think), but it was faster, bit more flexible, a touch softer.  KKS is more linear and gives the impression of less flex, but the weight difference will be playing a big role here.  Both glorious blades, CRWi has more power available.
Tuot View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2021 at 6:44am
Can you make a comparison with Donic Appelgren World Champion 89?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2021 at 4:56am
Originally posted by Tuot Tuot wrote:

Can you make a comparison with Donic Appelgren World Champion 89?

Honestly, it's been so long since I used the Appelgren that it won't be accurate!  I still have a Karbon Sieben in my cupboard and go back to it from time to time though.

From my vary hazy recollection, the Appelgren was softer, had a large head size, had more flex.  Basic speed was similar but feel was different.

But take that with a large pinch of salt.
foun1br View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foun1br Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2021 at 4:03pm
So with everything that has been said here about this blade, is $95 a good value for this blade? Or would you simply choose something else?
Bruce Fountain
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic