FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How to move up to next level?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
taeny View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to move up to next level?
    Posted: 10/30/2017 at 10:54pm
How does one move to next level in their game?

I know short answer is practice, but what makes you move up to the next level /division?

Is it consistency? Is it anticipation?

Im afraid I am getting stuck at my level (Australia - old level when I was a kid was division 4) and now I am getting back to the lovely game :-)

Im just thinking what could I focus on so that I can get to elite level? more faster reactions, practicing set plays etc.?

Also I find when I play higher level guys, they can get all balls back onto the table, but for me I feel like I am rushing to get to the ball...maybe I am too slow in this old bod.

Hoping for some good advice on what to work on to reach my goal!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 10:59pm
1) Personal coaching  -  Doubt anyone can get around that.
2) footwork  - the difference between good players and less good
3) suggestion: next practice try this:
Look at the ball as if your life depends on it. Don't just feel it or be relaxed, look at the ball INTENTLY, don't even look at the opponent or anything. ONLY THE BALL.
You'll find then that you suddenly have so much more time to act. It's a good habit I think.

If you think about it, if you know how to make the basic shots, the only difference between a killer shot and a shitty one is the time you have to prepare.

Edited by Lightzy - 10/30/2017 at 11:01pm
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 11:21pm
If you look at the ball, you won't know where it's going until your opponent hits it.  If you look at your opponent, you'll know where it's going before he hits it.

Footwork, footwork, footwork.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 11:25pm

Easiest way at your level is to put long pips on your Backhand then learn how to use it.

Lots of info/videos/links about this in one place:

North Little Rock Table Tennis Group timeline page on Facebook
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 12:08am
You might want to read

I think the general idea is you need to look carefully at your matches with players at the next level and determine where your deficiencies against them lie.  The article gives you some particular things to look for.  Then you can design practice to work on those areas.

As you get older I think positioning may be as important if not more so than classical footwork.  Positioning involves smaller distance footwork made based on where you hit the ball (made early almost as part of your stroke recovery).  It also involves being able to control your placement so that your opponent has little or no option but to return the ball within your reach.  And finally it involves more balance between Bh and Fh play (more Bh play than before for most players) since you need to be more at center of return angles due to more limited range of movement.

Mark
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 12:11am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

If you look at the ball, you won't know where it's going until your opponent hits it.  If you look at your opponent, you'll know where it's going before he hits it.

Footwork, footwork, footwork.

Ive been told the same by 2000+ players that looking at the opponent, especially their arm/hand helps in predicting where the ball will end up on your side of the table for loops/hits. For serves, its a combination of both looking at the hand/arm movement and looking at the ball to see what type of spin it is.

and footwork is everything in this game IMO, if you aren't in right position to execute a shot your form will suffer thus the quality of your shot will suffer.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 2:49am
I absolutey agree with the comment re. coaching. You don't have time to waste and you want to ensure that your practice is productive and moves everything in the right direction.

The other bit of advice I have is to enjoy the process of improving and don't get too fixated on the end goal (not sure what your definition of 'elite' is).

You do this by measuring yourself against yourself, rather than some stretch end goal. You may not reach your end goal but you absolutely can and should improve when measured against yourself.

E.g. is my forehand better now than it was 3 months ago? Has my service return improved this month after all the effort that I have put in etc. Improve all the components of your game systematically under the eye of a coach and then that takes you where it takes you.
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 3:53am
Get rubbers with less spin :)
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 8:30am
It sounds like you (want to) play an attacking game. IMHO, the way to improve is to find a specific weakest part of your game, improve it, then repeat.

For example, can you serve short low backspin and consistently slow loop the ensuing long push? Can you vary placement and the arc of the loop? 

If not, that's your that's the basic thing to learn and it will get you past your current opponents to the next level. And so on. 

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 8:42am
Originally posted by taeny taeny wrote:

I know short answer is practice, but what makes you move up to the next level /division?

Im afraid I am getting stuck at my level (Australia - old level when I was a kid was division 4) and now I am getting back to the lovely game :-)

Im just thinking what could I focus on so that I can get to elite level? more faster reactions, practicing set plays etc.?

Also I find when I play higher level guys, they can get all balls back onto the table, but for me I feel like I am rushing to get to the ball...maybe I am too slow in this old bod.

Thanks!

In the short term, look at how you win and lose points and think of ways of making them better.

In the long term, develop technique that is healthy, reduces your risk of whiffing the ball, increases the chances that you will out the ball on the table, and enables you to put the ball where you want to when you have time to select shots.

For the mental game, understand how your quality of shot can limit or expand the opponents options. Focus on the ball. Everything else is peripheral vision unless you learn over time that you can find information elsewhere.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 9:32am
It really depends what resources you have access to. Can you hire a coach? I guess not or you probably wouldn't ask here. If not, subscribe to ttedge or pingskills and use their videos to compare your technique.

If you have a table at home practice your serves. Use video and compare your technique to the online coaching service videos.

If you have a training partner (or ideally more than one) then work on set plays and receive by doing 3rd ball drills.

If you are hardcore, or have more time, or just want to get fitter anyway, then do shadow footwork like sidestep, cross-step, pivot, in-and-out. Compare your footwork to the online coaching service and video yourself so you do it properly.

Choose equipment that suits your style and is not too fast. Then stick with that same setup for at least one full year or more. After that you can ej if you want. It probably won't move you up a level on its own, but staying with one setup for a long time has value,imo.
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 9:56am
You may be asking for advice in the wrong place.  If you're goal is 2500, don't take advice from a group of 1800 players. lol I think a lot of us here wouldn't fit your definition of "next level".  Or maybe we do, I don't know. 
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Swiff Swiff wrote:

You may be asking for advice in the wrong place.  If you're goal is 2500, don't take advice from a group of 1800 players. lol I think a lot of us here wouldn't fit your definition of "next level".  Or maybe we do, I don't know. 

I don't think if he were in the realm of 2500 he would be asking here. I also don't think the average level of posters here is as high as 1800. 
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 10:16am
Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

I don't think if he were in the realm of 2500 he would be asking here. I also don't think the average level of posters here is as high as 1800. 

You're probably right.  My post made me curious, so I just made a poll.  Big smile
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 10:21am

Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

You're probably right.  My post made me curious, so I just made a poll.  Big smile

Nice! I'm genuinely curious as well. Hopefully people reply honestly. It will be harder for the international members. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by taeny taeny wrote:

Thanks!

One of the biggest things I can point out is to make sure to do drills where you have to move to get to the ball.  Old bodies make it hard, but you have to do it.  (Trust me, I know!!).  Find someone who can make you do that, and gradually increase the amount you have to move to get to the ball.  (To intense right away and you will get hurt).  
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 4:17pm
I think it depends on your current level, and what level you want to move up to.  Say to move from Div4-Div3 is hard, but from Div3-Div2 is triple hard, and Div2-Div1 is 5 time as hard as from Div3-Div2. To move up one level (Div) you need to be able to beat around 90% of player at your level (Div), so you can see why the higher level you are, the harder it is to move to the next level.  Talk to coach, or player at a higher level, they can tell you what weakness your current level has, then learn to improve on those weakness, and explore those weakness at the same time.  This is where training with a coach will certainly help.
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 4:17pm
I really think a coach is your best shot.

Also do small simple things. I'm not telling you "be ma long".
Just take one whole practice and use it to look as intently as you can on the ball, without looking at anything else. I'm promising that if you haven't done this before you'll see huge improvement in anticipation and the whole game will become easier. You talked about anticipation and I think this is the main component of it. Getting used to tracking the ball as intently as possible.
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Lightzy Lightzy wrote:

Just take one whole practice and use it to look as intently as you can on the ball, without looking at anything else. I'm promising that if you haven't done this before you'll see huge improvement in anticipation and the whole game will become easier. You talked about anticipation and I think this is the main component of it. Getting used to tracking the ball as intently as possible.

I'm going to try this next session. I have this feeling that I do it already but I suspect I could do more.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by wilkinru wilkinru wrote:

Originally posted by Lightzy Lightzy wrote:

I'm going to try this next session. I have this feeling that I do it already but I suspect I could do more.

Do it especially when you block for a friend who's practicing topspin. That's how you make it into a habit. Then also during practice matches, but especially when blocking is a good time to practice ball tracking.
You'll also see the blocks improving like 3 times over if you haven't been tracking the ball properly before.

Edited by Lightzy - 10/31/2017 at 5:26pm
danseemiller View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 5:53pm
Play in tournaments.Coaching, practice and experience. You need all 3.
DS
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 5:56pm
Probably you are not a very skilled player. 
If that is the case, to move to the next level (probably it seems to simple and obvious) you just have to put the ball to the other side without letting it too easy for the oponent.
Just try to pass the ball on the receive of service and block without rushes.
Probably that's enough for a 2000 US. At that level it is easier to loose points attacking because there can be a lack of consistency (as far as you just don't block it always to the same place, so your opponent as to attack while moving) That is if your opponents aren't choppers, just attacking people.
To get a higher level you do have to get coaching and risk a little more.

Edited by assam - 11/01/2017 at 6:17am
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by assam assam wrote:

If that is the case, to move to the next level (probably it seems to simple and obvious) you just have to put the ball to the other side without letting it too easy for the oponent.
Probably that's enough for a 2000 US. At that level it is easier to loose points attacking because there can be a lack of consistency (as far as you just don't block it always to the same place, so your oponent as to attack while moving) That is if your opponenta aren't choppers, just attacking people.
To get a higher level you do have to get coaching.

Is this evaluation of our 2000 level players a joke or a misunderstanding? 
Bad attempt...

(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 10:31pm
Post a video. Often the bystander has a better view on the lowhanging fruits to your improvement
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2017 at 6:17am
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Probably that's enough for a 2000 US. At that level it is easier to loose points attacking because there can be a lack of consistency (as far as you just don't block it always to the same place, so your oponent as to attack while moving) That is if your opponents aren't choppers, just attacking people.

Bad attempt...

It is pretty much the truth
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2017 at 6:27am
There might be some exceptions but probably doing what I've said consistently is enough to get near 2000 US rating. Of course you have to have good serves and read serves
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2017 at 9:25am
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Probably that's enough for a 2000 US. At that level it is easier to loose points attacking because there can be a lack of consistency (as far as you just don't block it always to the same place, so your oponent as to attack while moving) That is if your opponenta aren't choppers, just attacking people.

Bad attempt...

Need more details on the "put the ball to the other side without letting it too easy for the opponent" part, which depends on personal preference, equipment and experience, but he IS telling the truth
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2017 at 9:55am
"Without letting it too easy for the opponent" are the key words. Too easy for a 2000 opponent is a lot harder than too easy for a 1400. Otherwise he's just saying you win by hitting the table one more time than your opponent. No debate there.
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2017 at 10:27am
I was talkind as two inverted rubber's player.
If it is a low and deep ball (even just in block) it won't be to easy for the other.
I'm not talking about letting loose balls at 20-30 cm from the net or over 10 cm over the net
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2017 at 3:51pm
Loads of good advice, but ultimately moving up a level always comes down to how dedicated you are to achieve it, given the resources at your disposal. At the bottom end its easy, as you move up it gets more difficult, but I have always said, take advice and copy from the better players around you foremost.
The Older I get, The better I was.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic