FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > Equipment > Equipment

Nexy Arche review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arg0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexy Arche review
    Posted: 11/01/2017 at 11:27am
Yesterday I got the chance to play with the new Nexy Arche.

It's a light combination blade, with the top ply being the same wood as Rubicon on the forehand (FH) side and white ash on the backhand (BH) side.
Handle was ST and weight 80g.
I put Nexy Karis M max on FH and Xiom Vega Pro max on BH.
The setup was slightly head heavy, at least to me. About the same as Lissom, a bit more than Violin (I'll use Lissom and Violin as reference in this comparison). I normally prefer centre-balanced setups for better agility close to the table. That should be fixable with 2.0-2.1 rubbers. It's just that I happened to have some spare max rubbers for testing...

Build quality is even a notch higher than the high standards Nexy is known for. Surfaces are smooth, blade comes lightly pre-sealed, wings are chamfered. On top of that, the edges of the blade are lightly sanded along the whole length: I suppose this was to take the sharpness out of the top ply and reduce the splintering issues that were not uncommon with Rubicon.

ST handle is the same cross-section as Rubicon. Size is regular (no WST option on Arche) and the FH and BH surfaces of the handle are flat and transition to the rounded sides with a slight edge. This design debuted with Calix, afaik. I'm not too much of a fan of this cross-section, I would have preferred smoother transitions. But I think I can fix this by slightly sanding the handle.

So how does it play? Well, I only tested it once so these are my first impressions. I will update the review in the coming weeks.

The setup I tested is very controlled and ideal for mid-distance play. The blade speed is between OFF- and OFF, faster than Violin and Lissom with equivalent rubbers. Still, short play felt very comfortable and required little adjustment. Forehand seemed quite crispy, with good top speed, backhand was smoother and more controlled. Both sides produce high arc (also thanks to the rubbers): it was very easy to lift backspin on both sides, chopping was also quite easy, a bit surprisingly, given the speed of the blade. Soft blocks also came quite consistent.

So I'd say the blade is very well suited for variable spin play, continuous topspin, and offence from mid distance. The blade is light, controlled, and also well-suited for playing closer to the table, though you may want to use light rubbers (or non-max thickness) to shift the balance toward the handle.
If your game depends on flat shots, hard blocks and smashes, or if you want power from far away, you should look for a different blade. Among Nexy blades in the same speed range, Arirang or Calix 2 come to my mind.

Again, this is based on only one session with Arche. Stay tuned for updates.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2017 at 9:57am
Have you played with the KJH and/or Rubicon? (I'm curious about how the KJH and Rubicon sides on the Arche compare to the original..)
arg0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2017 at 4:02pm
I've played a few more time with Arche since, and I found it very convincing. I've tested many Nexy blades in the last years, but I had never found a blade that suited my style as well as Lissom. My only real complaint with Lissom is that it is a bit more head-heavy than Violin, which is my other reference blade. This is until the plastic ball came, and with it the need for a bit more speed.
Arche is so far the best Lissom and Violin alternative that I've tested.

I'm planning to complete my review above. But before, I have to find out how much of the head-heaviness and the difference between FH and BH side is due to the rubbers. I've put different rubbers on FH and BH, which is not ideal when approaching a combination blade for the first time... stay tuned.
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2017 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by ohwell ohwell wrote:

Have you played with the KJH and/or Rubicon? (I'm curious about how the KJH and Rubicon sides on the Arche compare to the original..)

I've played with the Rubicon, not the KJH.
As said in my previous post, I cannot say yet how much of the difference in character between Arche's FH and BH is due to the different top plies and how much to the different rubbers I used. I'll have to glue same rubbers to find out.
However, I've played with Rubicon before, and the Rubicon side of Arche feels quite different. My impression was that Rubicon is more "repulsive" when hitting hard, making it more suitable for aggressive play, while Arche is more "captive" and thus more suitable for controlled play close to the table, but less suitable for looping from afar.
This is just my impression, I'll know better after I tested Arche with Vega Pro on FH (at the moment, I've got Vega Pro on BH and Karis M on FH).
Join the Nexy Clan!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic