FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Which is more physically demanding?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which is more physically demanding?
    Posted: 11/03/2017 at 9:15am
Which exercise can be done for a longer duration - jump rope or fast multiball?

I tested both and lasted longer at multiball, however there are possible explanations which apply to me and perhaps not to the general TT player. A few that come to mind.

1. The up/down motion as opposed to side to side motion is more demanding for larger people.
2. I'm used to pushing my aerobic capacity to the limit when holding a racket at the table.
3. I didn't do the multiball properly. Whenever I used good form, it only lasted a second or two and I "cheated" to make the drill last longer. I never cheated during the jump rope.

Sponsored Links

Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2017 at 9:48am
I'd say it depends on which drill you're doing.  The one you're doing in the video seems like it's not one of the more strenuous ones.  

I've done some pretty intense footwork multiball and it was always incredibly exhausting.  
Example:
Ball 1: backhand corner
Ball 2: Center
Ball 3: Forehand corner
Ball 4: Center
Repeat.

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2017 at 5:37pm
 I have always liked watching you Larry, you remind me of me, I know you are a quality player, us big guys have to stick together lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycZFo1ViW3I
The Older I get, The better I was.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2017 at 8:29pm

Jumping Rope is more physically strenous, even after getting the technique down.

I used to jump rope for my training, not a big person

Multi ball can be done for a longer duration

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 11/03/2017 at 8:39pm
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2017 at 9:18pm
Whichever one you're muscles are used to will be easier, of course. You've hit a lot more forehands than you've skipped rope, I'm guessing.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2017 at 10:52pm
Hey HeavySpin,
Does your club have badminton and TT?
I would think skipping rope can be done for longer. Multiball after few minutes it's hard to maintain the technique. (Atleast for me - oxygen deprivation I think is the main cause!)  
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
6Finger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2017 at 4:35am
It would depend of both multiball drill  and jumping rope frequency. Both can be incredibly exhausting.

Edited by 6Finger - 11/04/2017 at 4:36am
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 10:01am
Like one poster said whatever you are used to. I observed you have more efficient movements with multiball than the rope
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 10:04am
to me, jump rope is more psychologically demanding...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Hey HeavySpin,
Does your club have badminton and TT?
I would think skipping rope can be done for longer. Multiball after few minutes it's hard to maintain the technique. (Atleast for me - oxygen deprivation I think is the main cause!)  

Do your own personal simple test, try jumping rope for 5 minutes without stopping including jump errors.

Get back to us with your results.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 1:06pm
Try one of those fitbits.  I don't know how fancy they have become these days, but my old one has a heart rate and calories counter.  I did a test once comparing running, playing tennis, playing table tennis for 30 minutes, and the same order goes for how physically demanding they are. 

Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 1:40pm
This whole question is an individual one. If you do a lot of jump rope and then play table tennis then jump rope will feel easier as your body is used to it. When it comes to table tennis in general and the physical demand it has on ones body, you can't make a general statement, because for one person it can be a little bit of walking and for another player it can be extremely intense. It all depends on style, technique, level and genetics.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2017 at 12:35am
Originally posted by Swiff Swiff wrote:

I'd say it depends on which drill you're doing.  The one you're doing in the video seems like it's not one of the more strenuous ones.  

I've done some pretty intense footwork multiball and it was always incredibly exhausting.  
Example:
Ball 1: backhand corner
Ball 2: Center
Ball 3: Forehand corner
Ball 4: Center
Repeat.

I agree with this post.  The drill you're doing had minimal footwork.  It was very intense, but mostly on quick reflexes.  You stayed near the table, so your FH strokes were shorter.  Try taking a step back, doing bigger loops, and making it a footwork drill (try the Falkenberg Wink).  

But it will also depend upon which activity you're more used to.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic