Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Match against Cheng Li (2541) game 3 and 4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Match against Cheng Li (2541) game 3 and 4
    Posted: 11/05/2017 at 9:31am
I don't have game 1 and 2 on video.. Won game 1 and lost the next 3..
I'm a little rusty.. Didn't play tt since June 25.. Played yesterday at the Broward TTC 4 star tournament to kick off my NA Teams preparation..

Game 3

https://youtu.be/G6suq8upbuQ

Game 4

https://youtu.be/QgnoBlUOPFU

Didn't play bad but made too many unforced errors..

Edited by Pushblocker - 11/05/2017 at 9:36am
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
Sponsored Links

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 9:42am
don't like your style
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 9:51am
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

don't like your style

You are in the same boat with many others..

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 10:03am
1) The opponent chose not to loop too much...
2) You are in a much better shape than in previous recent videos, bravo.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 10:05am
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

1) The opponent chose not to loop too much...
2) You are in a much better shape than in previous recent videos, bravo.

He looped more in game 1 and lost..

My weight fluctuates.. 253 in 2012, 181 lbs in 2013, 220 in 2014, 176 in early 2015, 232 early 2016, 210 mid 2016, 227 early 2017, 215 lbs now.. Will be 210 or below for NA Teams..

Me at 180 lbs in 2015..

185 lbs in 2013...

Me at 253 lbs ib 2012

Edited by Pushblocker - 11/05/2017 at 10:35am

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

I'm a little rusty.. Didn't play tt since June 25.. Played yesterday at the Broward TTC 4 star tournament to kick off my NA Teams preparation..

Game 3

Game 4

It is amazing that you can force him 2541 to play your game to win. You are an inspiration to all long pips players.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 11/05/2017 at 10:41am
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 10:59am
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

Game 3

Game 4

It is amazing that you can force him 2541 to play your game to win. You are an inspiration to all long pips players.

Thanks.. If they keep attacking hard, I will win.. I once even took Kai Zheng (almost 2700) to 4 games and almost 5 because he kept playing aggressive..

Edited by Pushblocker - 11/05/2017 at 11:00am

Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 11:07am
I don't know how to put it without sounding offending, this is just the way I feel about your style of playing, not you as a person:
I know you're pretty good and all... but to me this style of playing looks like taking the easy route, not relying on foot work or feeling for the ball but mostly relying on the rubber to do the work for you. I wonder how good you are with normal inverted rubbers?
I mean, it's legal and everything and surely takes a lot of practice too but... When I lose against someone with this style I always think that I lost against someone who is in a way... 'cheating'.

I got some questions, would be great if you could answer them:
Do you play that style because you play better or because it's more fun for you?
When did you switch or did you always play that way relying on material?
How good are you with normal inverted rubbers?

Thanks, I hope I did not offend you, maybe I just can't stand losing :D
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Fabian1890 Fabian1890 wrote:

I don't know how to put it without sounding offending, this is just the way I feel about your style of playing, not you as a person:
I know you're pretty good and all... but to me this style of playing looks like taking the easy route, not relying on foot work or feeling for the ball but mostly relying on the rubber to do the work for you. I wonder how good you are with normal inverted rubbers?
I mean, it's legal and everything and surely takes a lot of practice too but... When I lose against someone with this style I always think that I lost against someone who is in a way... 'cheating'.

I got some questions, would be great if you could answer them:
Do you play that style because you play better or because it's more fun for you?
When did you switch or did you always play that way relying on material?
How good are you with normal inverted rubbers?

Thanks, I hope I did not offend you, maybe I just can't stand losing :D

Trust me, if it was the easy way, a lot more players would play that style.. Only a handful of non attacking pushblockers have ever reached the rating level that I have.. My highest rating was 2309 and I maintained 2200's when I was still practicing frequently.. Since my daughters birth in late 2012, I stopped practicing frequently..
Table Tennis is not a sport about style but about winning.. If you want a sport where you win by doing things beahtiful, try figure skating..

Lets see who is better in a match if I use inverted on both sides and you use long pips on both sides.. I bet that i will win..

Edited by Pushblocker - 11/05/2017 at 11:26am

Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 11:28am
I don't doubt that you are better than I am but do you think you would be anywhere near your level if you played the standard offensive style?

I wonder if you stood a chance against the players in the videos above if you played regular inverted both sides. I would just like to know how much of a difference this makes. It is obvious that those players have a lot of problems with your style because they are not used to it and the ball behaves weirdly (compared to their usual matches), their loops going into the net or way too long etc.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 11:32am

I don't doubt that you are better than I am but do you think you would be anywhere near your level if you played the standard offensive style?

I wonder if you stood a chance against the players in the videos above if you played regular inverted both sides. I would just like to know how much of a difference this makes. It is obvious that those players have a lot of problems with your style because they are not used to it and the ball behaves weirdly (compared to their usual matches), their loops going into the net or way too long etc.
I'm nowhere near my level with both sides inverted just like you would not be anywhere close to your level with both sides long pips ox..

Edited by Pushblocker - 11/05/2017 at 11:33am

Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 11:39am
Of course, sorry, I did not express myself clearly: 
I meant if you would have reached the same level with the same amount of training, not if you just switched now. 
That's why I was talking about taking a shortcut. Players who are just mediocre with normal inverted becoming a lot better because of their equipment. Of course you got to practice both styles, practice is always important and I know you put a lot of work into it, otherwise you would not have had such great success like becoming State Champ.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 11:55am

Of course, sorry, I did not express myself clearly: 
I meant if you would have reached the same level with the same amount of training, not if you just switched now. 
That's why I was talking about taking a shortcut. Players who are just mediocre with normal inverted becoming a lot better because of their equipment. Of course you got to practice both styles, practice is always important and I know you put a lot of work into it, otherwise you would not have had such great success like becoming State Champ.
I have been playing this style for 25 years.. If I would have played with inverted on both sides for 25 years, I would probably be at a similar level.. I used to play 4 to 5 times per week.. played league in Europe and tournaments in the US since 2000.. I focused on perfecting my style of play. Never attempted to be a looper..

Edited by Pushblocker - 11/05/2017 at 11:59am

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by acpoulos acpoulos wrote:

When are you going to visit LATTA again?

Hopefully during the LA Open next year.. I was in Orange County for the Meiklejohn this June but didn't make it to LATTA as I was too exhausted to play at night..

I will probably skip the Meiklejohn next year and go to the Veterans World Championships in Vegas instead.

Edited by Pushblocker - 11/05/2017 at 12:05pm

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 12:04pm
Fabian, would you really ask Joo Sae Hyuk why he relies on material? CWX? Does EVERYONE have to play the same equipment the same way?

To players at the bottom 50% and middle 30%, a player of similar level using material surface has a huge advantage just keeping it on the table. The class of opponents just doesn't consistently read spin, speed, depth, angles well enough and is committed to a strong attack out of position, off time, and impacting ball out of strike zone.

To the better players or elite players, they RELISH the chance to play vs material. Getting to a a level or two below elite using material is not easy, may be even harder to do than using 2x inverted. 
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 12:06pm
BTW, BH-Man is a 2x inverted attacking style operator, just to be clear the direction I come from.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 12:31pm
It takes some years to understand why some of us "later" switch to LPs on BH... 
a few rotator cuff events, a few sciaticas down the road, and you are happy that someone invented LPs...

Yet some of us just start with the LPs and enjoy the spin game that way. It was hard for me to agree with for a long time, until I understood that this is a way to play TT using spin in a different way than the inverted rubber play does. BTW, inverted rubber defenders also exist. Quite a few at the 1200-1400 level.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 12:32pm

Table Tennis is not a sport about style but about winning

Hmm, interesting statement that is Oliver. I have watched many of your clips over the years on various forums, and you are a good player who knows how to win, I am also of the opinion that it takes great skill to play the pushblock game, largely because it limits your options technique wise, most of the criticisms your style of play attract are from players who don't have the required skill to beat you!
Some just don't get what you do, ball placement, depth variation, they just think that you stick these rubbers on and get instant results !!
 Your style of play really does have its place in TT there is no doubt about that at all, and there are some great matches between strong orthodox attackers and pushplockers. But aesthetically ? I'm just glad that your statement above does not apply to the winning bit conclusively, dread to think two pushblockers in the world mens singles final, that would be like going back to 1936, and I'm afraid IMO your style does not attract players to the sport.
Many players would not like to play your style because it relies on reactive mistakes rather than hitting winners, so its just not 'sexy' in many players eyes, I'm of that school of thought, I would rather not play at all than adopt that style for results purposes.
  Keep PushblockingSmile
The Older I get, The better I was.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 1:10pm

Game 3

Game 4

Well if either player uses LP's very well in blocking, it's impossible for big loops to happen consistently, because LP's physical properties (reverses spin, deadens the ball, shallow bounce angles etc.) I remember seeing a video of him playing Werner Schlager, who was in the world top 10 at the time. And Schlager did NOT beat him with big loops! He just controlled the ball so well and pick-hit him to death from both sides... 

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 1:28pm

Thanks.. If they keep attacking hard, I will win.. I once even took Kai Zheng (almost 2700) to 4 games and almost 5 because he kept playing aggressive..
Just curious: how does a strong hardbat player do against your style?  They don't depend upon spin to nearly the same extent as inverted and they are far less prone to playing an all-out attack style.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Table Tennis is not a sport about style but about winning

Hmm, interesting statement that is Oliver. I have watched many of your clips over the years on various forums, and you are a good player who knows how to win, I am also of the opinion that it takes great skill to play the pushblock game, largely because it limits your options technique wise, most of the criticisms your style of play attract are from players who don't have the required skill to beat you!
Some just don't get what you do, ball placement, depth variation, they just think that you stick these rubbers on and get instant results !!
 Your style of play really does have its place in TT there is no doubt about that at all, and there are some great matches between strong orthodox attackers and pushplockers. But aesthetically ? I'm just glad that your statement above does not apply to the winning bit conclusively, dread to think two pushblockers in the world mens singles final, that would be like going back to 1936, and I'm afraid IMO your style does not attract players to the sport.
Many players would not like to play your style because it relies on reactive mistakes rather than hitting winners, so its just not 'sexy' in many players eyes, I'm of that school of thought, I would rather not play at all than adopt that style for results purposes.
  Keep PushblockingSmile

There are so few players of that style, so it is very unlikely thay it has any effect on sport popularity

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

Game 3

Game 4

Well if either player uses LP's very well in blocking, it's impossible for big loops to happen consistently, because LP's physical properties (reverses spin, deadens the ball, shallow bounce angles etc.) I remember seeing a video of him playing Werner Schlager, who was in the world top 10 at the time. And Schlager did NOT beat him with big loops! He just controlled the ball so well and pick-hit him to death from both sides... 

Werner could beat me attacking 11:0 if he wanted but he was just playing around..

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2017 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Just curious: how does a strong hardbat player do against your style?  They don't depend upon spin to nearly the same extent as inverted and they are far less prone to playing an all-out attack style.

Played Jeff Johnston, a 2100 sponge rating hardbat player and won 3:1..

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2017 at 12:47am
I've actually never seen your games until now. Very impressive.

At that level playing LPs must be a huge challenge. I can imagine LPs destroying players easily at the low level, but there is definitely a reason why you don't see as many LP players at the top.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2017 at 11:14am
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

I've actually never seen your games until now. Very impressive.

At that level playing LPs must be a huge challenge. I can imagine LPs destroying players easily at the low level, but there is definitely a reason why you don't see as many LP players at the top.

I believe that in the US, only about 3 or 4 non attacking pushblockers ever broke 2300..
Peter Chen, Zhi Ming Li and myself.. Not sure if there were any others reaching 2300..

There were several backhand LP block, forehand smash or loop players who reached 2400 (Wetzler, Shahnazari and others) but very few non attacking LP blockers ever got to that level..

Edited by Pushblocker - 11/06/2017 at 11:16am

koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2017 at 11:54am
I had a shoulder injury a few years ago, so I spent a few months with long pips on the BH.  Aside from the fact that I do not have the personality for it, from a technical standpoint, I thought it was a very difficult game to play.  Long pips disrupt the rhythm of both you and your opponent.  I am a normally a two wing looper, so it was a difficult transition for me.  One good thing that came out of that is that now I am better against pips than against inverted (well, that and I train against pip players a fair bit).

I played Oliver once many years ago (before my whole shoulder ordeal) and the videos really do not do justice to how well he controls the placement and pace on the ball.  

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
JediJesseS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJesseS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2017 at 3:16pm
As a newbie I don't know how to say it, or if a constructive discussion is even possible on the subject. You obviously have tremendous skill and could still beat a lot of people if you used double inverted, so this isn't directed personally. But on a more philosophical level does it seem like these long pimple and anti surfaces compromise the integrity of the sport? I can't think of any other racket sport or even sport in general that allows for such large deviation.

I guess there's just something romantic to me about two people playing it out and competing on as even terms as possible. When you get to the point of equipment dictating a completely opposite ball behavior from one player to the next that purity of competition is lost a bit.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2017 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by JediJesseS JediJesseS wrote:

As a newbie I don't know how to say it, or if a constructive discussion is even possible on the subject. You obviously have tremendous skill and could still beat a lot of people if you used double inverted, so this isn't directed personally. But on a more philosophical level does it seem like these long pimple and anti surfaces compromise the integrity of the sport? I can't think of any other racket sport or even sport in general that allows for such large deviation.

I guess there's just something romantic to me about two people playing it out and competing on as even terms as possible. When you get to the point of equipment dictating a completely opposite ball behavior from one player to the next that purity of competition is lost a bit.
For me and many other players, the beauty of the sport comes from the diversity of styles and equipment. A guy like Koji Matsushita or Joo Se Hyuk could never play that impressive with inverted on both sides.
Being able to play with or adjust your game to play against different styles and equipment is a unique challenge that only applies to table tennis.

berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2017 at 4:00pm
(APW46) ....dread to think two pushblockers in the world mens singles final, that would be like going back to 1936....

The two finalists in the World Men's Singles Final in 1936 were Stanislav Kolar and Alojzy "Alex" Ehrlich.
Kolar defeated Ehrlich, a three-time World Men's Singles finalist, to win his only world singles championship.  Neither were pushblockers.

Edited by berndt_mann - 11/06/2017 at 5:14pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2017 at 4:07pm

You are an inspiration to all long pips players pushblockers.

small correction :)

Jokes aside, there are several distinct LP styles: from pushblocking to chopping to all-around, etc. If pushblocking is what rocks your boat, then go for it. Not easy or attractive, that's for sure. Many say it's a shortcut, well that may be true up to about usatt 1600-1700.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic