FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Just rubber.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just rubber.
    Posted: 11/07/2017 at 4:38pm
further to another post, I have not thought about this before, 
Is there any protocol or rule about having just a clean sheet of rubber straight to a blade, no sponge, no pips, nothing, just a pure sheet of flat rubber. Goodness knows how it would playSmile
The Older I get, The better I was.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2017 at 4:40pm
Just rubber has to be short pimples out - hardbat. Flat rubber with no pips would play worse than hardbat.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2017 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

Just rubber has to be short pimples out - hardbat. Flat rubber with no pips would play worse than hardbat.
I know that, but there is obviously no rubber on the market or that has an ITTF stamp, but as asked in another thread, Why not?
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2017 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

I know that, but there is obviously no rubber on the market or that has an ITTF stamp, but as asked in another thread, Why not?

2.4.3 A side of the blade used for striking the ball shall be covered with either ordinary pimpled rubber, with pimples outwards having a total thickness including adhesive of not more than 2.0mm, or sandwich rubber, with pimples inwards or outwards, having a total thickness including adhesive of not more than 4.0mm. 

2.4.3.1 Ordinary pimpled rubber is a single layer of non-cellular rubber, natural or synthetic, with pimples evenly distributed over its surface at a density of not less than 10 per cm² and not more than 30 per cm². 

2.4.3.2 Sandwich rubber is a single layer of cellular rubber covered with a single outer layer of ordinary pimpled rubber, the thickness of the pimpled rubber not being more than 2.0mm.

As written it implies that you must have pimples...

Edited by pgpg - 11/07/2017 at 4:56pm
USATT: 1725
BTY Defense Alpha - Rasant Beat - Cloud & Fog OX
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2017 at 4:56pm
YES , I know pgpg, but do you or does anyone know WHY ?
 Why is there not a rubber that has no pips? just rubber flat on a blade? 
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2017 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

YES , I know pgpg, but do you or does anyone know WHY ?
 Why is there not a rubber that has no pips? just rubber flat on a blade? 

Where is berndt with his vast knowledge of TT days past when you need him? 

I am pretty sure solid rubber existed at some point, but then either a) it was not very good and lost to sandwich/pimpled design just on merits or b) got regulated away for whatever reason (it seems to be illegal now). 

Good question... 

By the way, you can get 'solid leather' paddle, only for 650$ from Tiffany, of all places...

http://www.tiffany.com/accessories/everyday-objects/everyday-objects-table-tennis-paddles-60561737

Edited by pgpg - 11/07/2017 at 5:27pm
USATT: 1725
BTY Defense Alpha - Rasant Beat - Cloud & Fog OX
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2017 at 5:52pm
I once played with a wood cutting board dipped in Plasti-Dip. It was pretty bad.
(Blade-FH-BH)
-BBC 1 ply Cypress 10mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.1mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.10mm 37 deg
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2017 at 9:25pm
As a beginner I used 10 pencils glued to form a raft with several layers of condom, non-lubricated of course.

It sucked so I added a layer of wonderbread on each side later

Edited by Lightzy - 11/07/2017 at 9:32pm
Blades:
Palio King Yue (82g), Liu Shiwen ZLF (84g)

FH Rubber: 729 Battle II
BH Rubber: Skyline 3-60 soft / Palio AK47 Blue
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2017 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Lightzy Lightzy wrote:

As a beginner I used 10 pencils glued to form a raft with several layers of condom, non-lubricated of course

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
alexuganski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexuganski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2017 at 10:04pm
I've tried a topsheet glued to a blade before, but sadly, never have tried a pipless sheet of rubber before.

The topsheet alone felt like a playing hardbat. However, due to it being a tacky topsheet, I could generate good spin on chops/serves. Topspin was a joke though.

It did give a strange feeling compared to hardbat. The topsheet alone gave a feeling of a bigger sweetspot, like it absorbed more vibrations than hardbat rubber would.
CSV OFF-
FH: RASANTER R47 2.3
BH: RASANT GRIP 2.1
#VamosRafa
Tommy16 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 4:35am
When I was a kid I removed a Friendship topsheet from the sponge I glued it to my allround wood. It was maybe 28 years ago so my memory can do tricks to me but if I remember correctly it was totally unplayable. 
What is the point of playing safe shots when you can miss with style

My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67171&KW=&PID=811763&title=tommy16-feedback#811763
ssmilk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssmilk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 5:53am
it's will hard to play
smackman View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 2:56pm
I do coaching at schools and I see many bats missing their top sheets , the kids just play anyway
no spin but easy to push the ball back and forewards

opps that is the sponge only and not a top sheet 

Edited by smackman - 11/09/2017 at 2:57pm
Ulmo Duality,tibhar 5Q sound black, Dtechs grass ox red
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic