Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nexy blades and 40+ plastic ball

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexy blades and 40+ plastic ball
    Posted: 11/08/2017 at 6:13am
This thread is meant for reviews of Nexy blades when playing with the new 40+ non-celluloid plastic balls.
Also compare with the "old" celluloid ball, if you can.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Sponsored Links

Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 8:03am
There's no need for a thread if there's now review yet... This is just an empty thread without any content, why waste the space and my time? :)
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Fabian1890 Fabian1890 wrote:

There's no need for a thread if there's now review yet... This is just an empty thread without any content, why waste the space and my time? :)

If this thread is not created all the upcoming reviews would probably be on the another thread together with a lot of non related posts. This is just a way to organize the reviews since they will be made by different persons at different moments.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 12:24pm
Plastic balls started in 2014.  It is nearly 2018.  Are there still a lot of people playing with celluloid balls?

I probably started playing with them exclusively earlier than most people, and honestly have pretty much forgotten what celluloid balls were like.

I don't use Nexy blades so won't comment further, but people should probably mention which 40+ balls they are using since it matters a lot.  Cellulose acetate 40+ balls (which are unfortunately still widely used) are completely different from newer ABS balls or seamless balls.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Cellulose acetate 40+ balls (which are unfortunately still widely used) are completely different from newer ABS balls or seamless balls.

I'm amazed that there are any left.  Just a sideways glace or misplaced mutter can break them.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Fabian1890 Fabian1890 wrote:

Because it is meant to collect reviews from this initiative: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=80460
...and possibily more.
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Plastic balls started in 2014.  It is nearly 2018.  Are there still a lot of people playing with celluloid balls?[...]
In our club we still play with celluloid balls. Non-celluloid balls will only become mandatory starting with the next season. In the meantime,we're in an awful grey area where each club can decide.
I hope the plastic balls will have improved by then.

Please ignore, this was not meant to become a discussion on plastic balls.

Edited by arg0 - 11/08/2017 at 5:39pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 7:20pm
I understand and I certainly don't want to derail your thread!!!

Still, it will be helpful for your thread if when people state their experiences using Nexy blades (the point of the thread) that they mention which kind of 40+ plastic ball they were playing with because it makes a difference. The last off-topic comment I will make is that by 2018 my best guess is that most people will be using ABS balls made by DHS or DF, even if they are rebrands, such as the newest Stiga ball.  Not everybody will love them but they are ok and by then there will be some degree of consistency.  In Germany you may see quite a few Joola seamless balls also.

OK.  I am definitely done making off-topic remarks here.  Sorry in advance.  Nexy blade users, chime in.  (I use their rubber, not their blade, so I am going to clock out).
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 11:18am
Baal, I agree with you that reviews should mention which 40+ ball was used.

The reason for explicitly mentioning the 40+ balls in the thread title was that this was an explicit requirement for the blade testing action, so it is meant to act as a reminder.

Join the Nexy Clan!
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 6:03pm
Here is a quick review on the Chedech.  I only played with it for a couple hours, which I played terrible, specially on game. 

I received the blade on Tuesday.  It is a beautiful blade, the top ply is Wenge, according to Nexy web site, I think Wenge is supposed to be a hard wood, but not sure.  Blade does not appear to be sealed at all, the surface is rough to the touch, so I recommend it to be sealed, which I did with a thin water base sealant.

I am not a fan of inner layer composite blade.  For me if I want a woody feel, I get the all wood blade.  If I pay dearly for composite blade, I want to maximize the effect of the composite layer by having it next to the top ply, like the Butterfly Timo Boll series.  I still have the Innerforce ALC, which I hate. I think my Innerforce is slow, and flexy, which most user on the forum disagree, saying that it is fast...  So it could be my sample, or it could be that my rating is different.  For what it's worth, I rate TB ALC fast, and my IF ALC is a notch slower.   Anyway, I did a bare blade bounce test with both Innerforce and the Chedech laying flat on granite counter, and drop DHS D40+ ball on both blades. Chedech has a clear higher bounce, and the bounce last longer than the Innerforce.  I did the same test with the Juic Stellan Bengtsson Alpha, which I happen to have near by, and the bounce is pretty much the same. Note: I rate my Juic Stellan Bengtsson Alpha slower than my TB ALC, but faster than my IF ALC.

I put on a new Acuda S1, and Xiom Sigma PRO, both 2.0mm to test. Chedech is stiffer compare to the Innerforce (if I remember correctly), but has more flex compare to the TB ALC, that I am playing with.  Switch back and forth between Chedech and TB ALC, the Chedech requires me to put more power (drive), into the ball to keep the same counter pace, so it has noticeable lower bounce on low power shot compare to TB ALC.  I remember the same effort that I have to put in when playing counter with the Innerforce (this is few years ago, back I still play with the celluloid ball),  I will probably put rubber on my innerforce ALC to do a more fair comparison later.  On power loop, the ball can go fast and spinny, so looks like Chedech has a wide range of gear.  It could be that I don't have the same confident with Chedech on power loop as when I use my TB ALC, so I could not keep looping as many time as I would with the TB ALC, but I think part of it could be that I have to put in more effort with the Chedech to generate the same power as the TB ALC.  I think with practice, I probably will not have to sacrifice the recovery time when generate power with it.  I think those who play with TB ALC, or any similar ALC blade, will find Chedech a little under power, and may need some time to adjust. On the other hand, those who play with 5-ply wood may appreciate it more as it feels pretty much like an all wood, but with bigger sweet spot, and more power.

Update after 20 hrs of play:
I did play better with the Chedech, which is expected, however, my 1st impression of the blade stay the same.  It is slower than the TB ALC, and required noticeably more effort, even when playing counter, to keep the ball at the same pace.  It is linear up to about 60% power, so you still can rip the ball when you apply more power.  I think this blade is more suited for advance player, as it has a wide range of gear, which requires a lot of skill to use\handle.  There are 2 things I cannot do well with this blade, and I am not sure even with practice, I will be able to do well. 1st thing is the kick sever, I cannot serve fast, low, deep, and consistent as I use to.  I end up hitting the ball at an angle, which added the unwanted spin.  2nd thing is Fishing.  When I am under attacked my instinct is to fish the ball back, until I have a chance to counter.  It got so bad, that I now counter loop every ball, which is probably a good thing, as that's what most coach would tell you to do Smile, but with limited playing time atm, it's not an easy thing to do, even though my counter loop has got better since playing with the Chedech.

Add some pictures.

Edited by mhnh007 - 12/05/2017 at 11:40am
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 11:02pm
Nice review, I agree with your sentiments completely about inner and outer composite layers. Either outer for full effect, or all wood for me.
Xiom Omega IV Euro | Freitas ALC | Xiom Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
Mkeats View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mkeats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 12:15pm
Review of Nexy Rubicon

For the purpose of this review I attached Tibhar Evolution EL-S's 1.9mm. I also used the Butterfly 3 Star G40+ plastic seam ball.

So, I've had about 8-10 hours with the Rubicon so far. I had mixed expectations about this blade because I've tried dozens of all wood blades in the past and nothing really satisfied me. But, I've played with 5-6 Nexy blades before(all-wood) and they all have had something special about them. In the review I'm going to compare the Rubicon to my daily driver, the Michael Maze(same rubbers). For some context, I'm a close to the table, allround attacker. The handle is FL and kind of thin but comfortable to hold due to the sanded wings. I would rate the blade somewhere nicely between ALL+ and OFF-.

Serve/Receive
This blade has a great touch game given that it has harder outers than the Maze. Keeping the ball low and short wasn't a problem, better than the Maze. Serving required a little more effort to achieve the same level of spin but when it was tweaked the blade actually allowed better spin variation in my serves.

Loops/Drives
Opening loops were a breeze with this blade but with less spin than the Maze. Away from the table this blade struggled with power where you really had to use every bit of body movement to make a powerful attacking shot. Driving close and mid distance is the strength of this blade when it comes to heavy topspin shots.

Blocking
I'm a pretty aggressive blocker especially on my BH. This blade allowed me block aggressively with great consistency and confidence. Amazingly I found this combination to be great for punch blocks. With Nexy blades I've always found that the tightness of the grip changes the flight path and speed. This blade was no different, so I could mix it up and play a few passive blocks and vary the distance of those blocks very effectively.

Counter Attacks
Along with blocking, this is where this blade shines. Close to mid distance counter hitting was amazing. Close to mid distance countering is where I'm most comfortable and this blade really fit into my comfort zone. A lot of times with the Maze I found myself holding back on a full stroke just to keep the ball on the table. In doing so, I found speed and spin may not always be maximized to produce a winning shot. But, with the Rubicon I could really open on the counter hits to produce a lot of consistent winners with full speed to spin possible.

Conclusion
This is my first review ever so hopefully I was able to convey what this blade brings to the table. I always have my Maze and 1 or 2 other blades at the table that I'm testing and in the last 2 hours of testing I didn't have any urge to go back and play with my trusty Maze. Anallround attacker close to mid distance who base the game around ball placement by way of blocking and counter attacking would love this blade.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2017 at 4:47pm
This is a review of the Nexy Calix 2.  I had made a recent decision to try to use faster blades with harder outer plies, blades that I usually hate because I like the feeling of hinoki and limba ( and not so much koto, ebony and walnut).  I tried playing with a Timo Boll Spirit and have used the Ovtcharov True Carbon a lot recently - both blades have helped certain aspects of my game but have ultimately been too fast under pressure vs certain opponents.  Having heard that the Calix 2 was like a slower TBS, I decided to give it a try.

I used this as my main blade for a couple of weeks with Tibhar Genius as the rubber on it.  I played most of my matches at the NA Teams with it.

The outer ply seems to be mahogany or walnut or some kind of hard wood.  There is a carbon composite, but I don't think it is ALC.  The blade is thin - 5.5mm - and has dual impact, which I think is a kind of innerforce design that makes the blade play slower on certain shots and faster on certain shots.  That said, the blade feels pretty linear and the control ranges seemed to be precisely the ones I wanted them in - slow loops and blocks felt more controlled, and there was a faster shot when you hit the ball hard and the carbon layers were fully activated.

I personally like the Nexy flat handles a lot - some people find them too thin, but I think they let me feel the blade angle and wrap my hands in the right spots better.  I also like their smaller wings.  The handle design is the main reason I switched to this blade and I will look into Nexy blades to see if they have something I like with this same handle design since I have liked the handles on 3 Nexy blades now.

Pushing short and blocking were good.

Would I buy this blade for $180?  I think many players would do well with this blade, but most players spending $180 on a blade would likely want something faster.  That said, were I athleticly mobile around, I think I would use this blade as my only blade as I had sufficient power and looping control to pull out some great wins playing with it.  It's a reasonably carbon blade even with the plastic ball for someone who wants to play mostly in the OFF- range close to the table with spin and consistency.  That said, blocking or hitting the ball from off the table would be challenge.

Here are a win and a loss of mine using this blade - they gives you a decent idea of how it plays.  Genius is a spinny but relatively controlled rubber, so it would definitely play much faster with something like Tenergy or MX-P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn9qm2jy8xc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Wtm0-KtA4

Edited by NextLevel - 11/30/2017 at 4:48pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2017 at 1:24pm
I really loved the Calix II during my long term test in Korea. It really did feel like a slower version of TBS, but it is a way different blade. I am hooked on the Kim Jung Hoon blade, even though it is no longer manufactured - KJH retired, opened a club, and got sponsored by Andro.

Qabod30 is the discount code good for 30% all the Calix blades (Calix, Calix II, and Qabod) until end of 2017 from NexyUSA.com so that $180 is more like $126 right now. 

There should be a lot to like about that.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2017 at 5:38pm
BH-Man, did you manage to play with Arche? How does it compare to KJH?
Join the Nexy Clan!
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2017 at 6:04pm
I haven't broken it out of the box yet to play, I really DO need to slap some rubbers on it and add it to by bag of a dozen demo models I carry around with me. It is supposed to be similar construction with one outer veneer different... It is likely the blade I will use when I run out of KJH blades soon. ANY blade I use only lasts a year, shorter if it hits a corners and breaks.

Anyone on this forum text me around 9 PM Eastern Standard Time to remind me to slap some rubbers on it... I have been meaning to do it and will be at a club for a few hours tonite.  
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2017 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

I really loved the Calix II during my long term test in Korea. It really did feel like a slower version of TBS, but it is a way different blade. I am hooked on the Kim Jung Hoon blade, even though it is no longer manufactured - KJH retired, opened a club, and got sponsored by Andro.

Qabod30 is the discount code good for 30% all the Calix blades (Calix, Calix II, and Qabod) until end of 2017 from NexyUSA.com so that $180 is more like $126 right now. 

There should be a lot to like about that.

It's a great blade for the right kind of person and if I had a wealthy learning student, I would definitely recommend it. Would recommend it over say a Violin for someone learning to play with the plastic ball.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2017 at 3:19am
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

BH-Man, did you manage to play with Arche? How does it compare to KJH?

Even though no one used the correct network code word at the arranged time... I did remember to glue on some used rubbers to the Arche. I had a sheet of regular Karis M that was maybe 12 hours used and an older sheet of H3. Glued both on, added edge tape and grip tape and did my thing at the club.

Overall, the blade is like the KJH, one side has the same White Ash outer as KJH and one side has a different brownish looking outer veneer.

The blade I had was disappointingly light - 82 grams. How can anyone play with such a light blade? 90 or 95 grams is more like it for crying out loud, but what the heck, we cant have everything we want !!

I could not tell any noticeable difference on FH - the side with Karis M and the KJH white ash outer... the BH was slightly crisper. Blade hade same burned core, maybe even MORE burned than KJH. 

I really couldn't feel much more different. My performance with this blade and rubbers was pretty much similar to what I did with KJH blade and same rubbers, I actually used these rubbers on a KJH for a bit until I went full mad Karis + on both sides of the KJH.

So pretty much, I feel I could use the ARCHE in place of KJH some point in the future when I run out of usable KJH blades.

My assessment compared to KJH is pretty similar and nothing remarkably different in feel or performance. Nothing happening here. We can move on and use the Arche just as easily.

JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2017 at 10:40am
Review: Calix Blade    St (sq. shape)  85gm.   150x157

Look and finish:  The blade is beautifully made and perfectly finished.  Nexy designs are unique works of art. The top ply is mahogany wood and is very smooth. Putting rubber on and off the blade was so easy.

Construction: When was the last time you played a composite blade that was 5.0 m thick? The carbon is just below the top ply and the core is very thin. The handle on this blade was st but decidedly square and flat. Even though I prefer the classic rounded st like on OSP blades I found this comfortable and easy to play with.

Set-up:  I had Mantra M on my forehand in max and Gambler 4 Kings 2.1 on the backhand.

40+ ball:  We play the seamless ball mainly at our club with the NP40+ mixed in for our prima donas
who won't play anything but Nittaku. (Sorry, should not have said that, but it's fun to put the needle in and tease sometimes) We table tennis players can be a picky lot, but then we play the most sensitive precise sport in the world I think. 

Overall impressions: This is the first Nexy blade I have been exposed to and it was fun to explore. The blade has a fairly hard feel to it but because it is very thin it has both flex and vibrations. Because of the hard top ply and the carbon just under it, the blade has a very decided snap to it when rebounding from a flex. This produced a more pronounced speed on the ball than a soft slower flex like on my OSP Virtuoso. Two very different blades. I felt it was Off speed on firm to fast hits. On slower strokes it was more Off- to Allround+.  I got good feedback from pushes and touch shots. It is a different feel because the blade is medium stiff and took some getting used to but I liked the blade.  This was the first time I had played with Mantra M and it is medium-firm and pretty fast. Adjusting to this new rubber and the blade at the same time was perhaps not a great idea for a test but they paired together well. When I would smash with this combination it was very fast.

Loops: This was and easy set-up to loop with. It was more prone to hit a lower driving loop but brush and slow loops could be made with a little concentration.

Blocks: the blade was very good for sharp well placed blocks which I tend to do a lot of with my backhand.

To really give this blade a fair shake I feel like I need to put on a sheet of Vega Europe, my standard forehand rubber and see what I think. I will try to do that tonight and get back to you.

If you want feel to your carbon speed and touch this blade could be a good choice. It has plenty of speed for the plastic ballWink      JoeB

Joe B   BBC Hinoki/carbon
            BBC Hinoki

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2018 at 4:27pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2018 at 10:43pm
I got the Nexy Peter Pan mailed to me from JimT early this year. Sincere apologies for the delay. Alas, onto the review! (Plastic ball used: Asian Pacific/XuShaoFa and Nittaku Premium 40+)

The very first thing I will say about it that it has a very unique sensation different from many other blades. This may be due to the fact that this blade has burned layers of wood in its composition. Or due to fine Nexy craftsmanship making sure the handle, rather, the wings of the blade very sanded and smooth. This gives the blade a good flexible feeling. 

The top limba layer is not burned so on easy/moderate strokes it feels flexible and soft; OFF- here. But when hitting hard, you will feel the flex initially, but as the ball engages the harder inner layers. You feel that crispy burned kiri core and OFF rating. I feel exactly what Nexy intended to do when he designed the dual speed/impact system.

The trajectory this blade sends the ball is linear, i.e. little arc, and long when you engage the core. The rubber's I use for this blade is Yinhe Big Dipper for FH and Andro Rasant Powergrip for BH. 

Although I primarily use composite blades, I have decided to keep this blade because of its wonderful and rather addicting all-wood feeling. I encourage you all to give this blade a try if you have the chance. Thanks for reading and many thanks to arg0 as well, I have sent you a PM!

Xiom Omega IV Euro | Freitas ALC | Xiom Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2018 at 4:01am
Originally posted by SmileTT SmileTT wrote:

The very first thing I will say about it that it has a very unique sensation different from many other blades. This may be due to the fact that this blade has burned layers of wood in its composition. Or due to fine Nexy craftsmanship making sure the handle, rather, the wings of the blade very sanded and smooth. This gives the blade a good flexible feeling. 

The top limba layer is not burned so on easy/moderate strokes it feels flexible and soft; OFF- here. But when hitting hard, you will feel the flex initially, but as the ball engages the harder inner layers. You feel that crispy burned kiri core and OFF rating. I feel exactly what Nexy intended to do when he designed the dual speed/impact system.
I also think, that this is an important point. Several brands are offering blades with burned wood, but Nexy seems to be the only brand, who uses this "temper-tech" technique only for the core and uses natural wood for the outer layers.

Actually I switched from Butterfly ALC to Nexy Arche (which also uses this system of burned core and natural outer veneers) and really like the feeling.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic