tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Equipment > Equipment

Serial Numbers illegal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serial Numbers illegal?
    Posted: 11/08/2017 at 12:21pm
Technically, engraving a serial number in the outer ply would make the blade illegal as it would break the following rule:

2.4.5 The blade, any layer within the blade and any layer of covering material or adhesive on a side used for striking the ball shall be continuous and of even thickness.

is this nitpicking?
rl gear ( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•) feedback
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 12:22pm
good god yes.
100niTenis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 12:51pm
Hm ..
Blade, Rubbers, Shoes, Socks ...
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 1:04pm
ITTF: Factory engraving is allowed.

Oh, prints on blade head is illegal as well.

ITTF: Factory printing is allowed.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 1:16pm
Well gee.  You learn something new every day.

I had never really thought about serial numbers on the outer play of a table tennis blade head before, but it might not be a bad idea.

Maybe I'll take my Master Craftsman rackets to a good engraver here in Tucson and have my old Army serial number engraved neatly and discreetly near the throat of my blades. 

Oh consarn it to Show Low!  I just read zeio's post.  That would be illegal, and I really wouldn't want to do anything illegal, so forget about the serial numbers.  Anyway, fascinating thread.

Edited by berndt_mann - 11/08/2017 at 1:22pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 1:27pm
ITTF regulations, including technical bulletin T4 also say that flexibility in a blade is illegal.  Specifically, the laws of table tennis state that rackets should be rigid, and in T4 they try to clarify this by stating that regarding “Rigid”

Law 2.4.1 is intended to apply to the blade and the handle taken as a whole. Flexibility is not permitted in a racket except in the covering.

This would mean of course that nearly every blade used in the sport is illegal since they all have at least some flex.

This illustrates the uselessness and ultimate futility of trying to use literal interpretations of ITTF rules and regulations in the real world since they almost never write them with enough precision to allow for that.  That has been a long standing problem with ITTF and it leads to endless flame wars here.

By the way. Here is latest T4 url.

https://d3mjm6zw6cr45s.cloudfront.net/2017/10/T4_Racket_Coverings_BOD2017.pdf_0.pdf

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 1:46pm
This would mean you couldn't even round the edges for comfort. The "wings", in referring to.
Hayabusa Zi ST/FH:H3-50med/BH:GoldArc5-42.5-2.0
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 1:51pm
By the way, according to the most literal interpretation of T4, even cleaning your rubber with water is illegal.  That is a chemical treatment.  Water is a chemical.  Putting water on the rubber certainly constitutes a "treatment".

This could be actually a fun TT parlor game.

Let's find all the ITTF rules and regulations that are impossible to enforce literally as they are written, or that make everything illegal if taken literally.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 3:24pm
The two biggest ITTF failings regarding rules and their enforcement are (a) the perpetual usage of boosters and (b) hidden serves.

That they haven't adequately addressed any of these issues (either through changes in language, rules or procedures) tells me that there is some real gain to leave things ambiguously as they are right now.

But this serial numbers / flexibility stuff OTOH, is just a sad reflection on the lack of professional approach by the ITTF.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

By the way, according to the most literal interpretation of T4, even cleaning your rubber with water is illegal.  That is a chemical treatment.  Water is a chemical.  Putting water on the rubber certainly constitutes a "treatment".

This could be actually a fun TT parlor game.

Let's find all the ITTF rules and regulations that are impossible to enforce literally as they are written, or that make everything illegal if taken literally.

When I played with inverted, I never cleaned my rubber with anything.  After a few weeks it gave off an acrid smell somewhat like Gordon Loudermilk's "Dead skunk in the middle of the road, stinkin' to High Heaven."

And I used blades that were as rigid as John Henry's 9-pound sledgehammer.  No flex for me, no siree.

TT used to be a fun parlor game.  And the winner of every social match, history has it, was doused with an early form of Gatorade, which contained lots of chemicals.  

The Gatorade custom may explain the two year shelf life of early 1900s tt, and once Ivor Montagu (bless his aristocratic Stalinist soul) revived the sport in 1926, Gatorade was out, except that you could use it as a racket covering if you could figure out a way to keep the stuff from dripping off your racket.

bard romance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 9:57am
LOLLOLLOLLOL
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 10:41am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

The two biggest ITTF failings regarding rules and their enforcement are (a) the perpetual usage of boosters and (b) hidden serves.

That they haven't adequately addressed any of these issues (either through changes in language, rules or procedures) tells me that there is some real gain to leave things ambiguously as they are right now.

But this serial numbers / flexibility stuff OTOH, is just a sad reflection on the lack of professional approach by the ITTF.

ITTF made multiple changes to the no-hidden serve rule and even warned CNT formally in writing over the legality of their players' serves. Things were okay around 2005. That's, until they changed to the current rule - no arm(s) in the triangular space between the ball and net assembly(which created a gray area for hiding behind the head), instead of nothing in the area between the body and net assembly.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOL
I agree it's so funny ahahahahaha
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOL
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

H I L A R I O U  S
I   LOLLOLLOLLOL   U 
L   LOLLOLLOLLOL  O
A   LOLLOLLOLLOL  I
R   LOLLOLLOLLOL  R
I    LOLLOLLOLLOL  A
O   LOLLOLLOLLOL  L
U   LOLLOLLOLLOL  I
S U O I R A L I  H

Serious question: satire or no? Can be hard to tell on the internet, and haven't read this forum enough to know every poster's shtick.

Edited by bard romance - 11/09/2017 at 12:36pm
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 12:51pm
SO FUNNY!!!

LOLLOLLOLLOL   LOL           LOL  LOLLOLLOLLOL
LOL        LOL   LOL LOL  LOLLOL  LOL
LOL        LOL   LOL    LOL   LOL  LOL    LOLLOL
LOL        LOL   LOL           LOL  LOL        LOL
LOLLOLLOLLOL   LOL           LOL  LOLLOLLOLLOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 12:54pm
Sleepy

Edited by bard romance - 11/09/2017 at 12:57pm
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 2:33pm

.__ 
_____    _____   |__|
\__  \  /     \  |  |
 / __ \|  Y Y  \ |  |
(____  /__|_|  / |__|
     \/      \/      
       .__  __         .__        __   .__             _________ 
  ____ |__|/  |_______ |__| ____ |  | _|__| ____    ___\_____   \
 /    \|  \   __\____ \|  |/ ___\|  |/ /  |/    \  / ___\ /   __/
|   |  \  ||  | |  |_> >  \  \___|    <|  |   |  \/ /_/  >   |   
|___|  /__||__| |   __/|__|\___  >__|_ \__|___|  /\___  /|___|   
     \/         |__|           \/     \/       \//_____/ <___> 

Animated letter BounceAnimated letter BounceAnimated letter BounceAnimated letter Bounce     Animated letter BounceAnimated letter BounceAnimated letter Bounce   Animated letter BounceAnimated letter BounceAnimated letter Bounce
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 10:43pm

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOL

H I L A R I O U  S
I   LOLLOLLOLLOL   U 
L   LOLLOLLOLLOL  O
A   LOLLOLLOLLOL  I
R   LOLLOLLOLLOL  R
I    LOLLOLLOLLOL  A
O   LOLLOLLOLLOL  L
U   LOLLOLLOLLOL  I
S U O I R A L I  H

Serious question: satire or no? Can be hard to tell on the internet, and haven't read this forum enough to know every poster's shtick.

Satire?  Why heavens no, my good bard romance, every jot and tittle of my post was intended to be the truth and nothing but the truth, except for those parts which may have been just a little bit misleading or which give a somewhat fanciful version of those pleasent parlor pong days which might have come to a sorrowful end due to the excessive use of pre-prohibition Gatorade after social matches.

There was nothing under the rule of the time to prevent players from soaking their battledores or whatever in liberal shots of the Gatorade of the era.  Such historical references that have been gleaned from Gerald Gurney's Table Tennis Collector magazine indicate that Gatorade was at least as effective on battledores as ground glass and emory powder.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic