FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

TT11 testing - Fall 2017 edition!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TT11 testing - Fall 2017 edition!
    Posted: 11/08/2017 at 1:04pm
The good folk at tabletennis11 have once again sent some equipment for the mytt community to test / try out! 

Blades:
  1. Xiom Feel ZX2
  2. Xiom Feel ZX3
  3. Stiga Carbonado 45
  4. Stiga Carbonado 90
Rubber:
Backstories:
  1. The Xiom Feel series: These two blades have been chosen they are 'Made in Japan' and have the highest spin ratings of all the blades in the OFF- / OFF rated Xiom Feel series. Both use Zephyllium-Carbon (and not pure Zephyllium - I checked using a 60x microscope!) and '250 yr kiso hinoki' outer wood (though it is thin and hence, the overall feel is closer to the Carbonado series than a regular all-ply hinoki blade). The ZX2 has an innerforce type construction whereas the ZX3 has the fiber after the outer wood (like the Xiom Vega Pro / Tour blades). The 2nd wood in ZX2 might be some burnt or harder wood while the ZX3 might be using Ayous as 2nd wood. ZX2 seems faster.
  2. The Stiga Carbonado 45 / 90 series: A lot of top girls (Ding Ning, Zhu Yuling, Cheng Meng? Even Liu Shiwen!) have recently adopted this series. Let us find out why.
  3. The new Hurricane Pro 3 rubber is supposedly the combination of H3 topsheet and Japanese sponge. I shall be testing this along side my (a) Nittaku H3 Neo 39 deg and (b) DHS H3 Neo Provincial 38 deg rubbers to see how it fares.

Please PM me if you want to test any of the above and I'll put you on the list.

Usual rules apply (open to US / Canadian members, tester is responsible for shipping the equipment at their cost to the next member on the list - should be shipped with tracking info). You need to have 'good mytt cred' to participate.

Edited by slevin - 11/08/2017 at 1:11pm
Sponsored Links

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 2:51pm
TT1 Fall 2017 Testing Schedule:

Xiom Feel ZX2
  1. Slevin
  2. kindof99
  3. JoeB
  4. Tek101

Xiom Feel ZX3
  1. slevin
  2. LOG1C1AN
  3. kindof99

Stiga Carbonado 45
  1. h0n1g

Stiga Carbonado 90
  1. ???

Nittaku Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo Orange Rubber
  1. BRS
  2. Tek101
  3. ???
  4. Slevin

Edited by slevin - 01/16/2018 at 5:41pm
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 3:01pm
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 3:03pm
I must say, (right off the bat) - fatt won't be happy with the top veneer look on the Carbonado 90! Though, it makes for a good exercise - does it really play any different!
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 3:36pm
BTW: here are the manufacturer's ratings of the Xiom Feel ZX2 and the ZX3 (scroll down in those links)

Edited by slevin - 11/08/2017 at 3:37pm
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 3:59pm
Can I try the Carbonado 45 and/or the Feel ZX2 please?

Edited by SmackDAT - 11/08/2017 at 4:02pm
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 4:24pm
SmackDAT: unfortunately, this testing is for USA / CAD only.
lgxb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgxb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 4:36pm
May I try Carbonado 45 please?
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 4:41pm
TT11 must have a pair of Nittaku Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo Orange Rubber for europe too. :(
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by *_strataras_* *_strataras_* wrote:

TT11 must have a pair of Nittaku Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo Orange Rubber for europe too. :(
I still don't understand that how can tt11 sell the rubber cheaper than tt-japan.

P.S. waiting to read the rubber's review
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 6:05pm
I should have a 'initial impressions of the rubber' review up by Saturday. I'm looking forward to it as well! I'll go through it in more detail after BRS reviews it.

Edited by slevin - 11/08/2017 at 6:06pm
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 6:12pm
Like to try the Xiom zx2 please. Thank you
Joe B   BBC Hinoki/carbon
            BBC Hinoki

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 6:36pm
JoeB: pls PM me your name and address. You're on the list.
incarnation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote incarnation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 8:15pm
May I try the Carbonado 45 and I am in Toronto. I have done some reviews before and can write up a brief reviews in here. Thanks
Hurricane 3
Hurricane 3
Tek101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tek101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2017 at 10:10pm
If I could, could I be put on the list for one of the Xiom Feels? I currently use the Nittaku Miyabi which is a 1-Ply Hinoki but, I am always keen to try other Hinoki variations. If the list is full for the blades I would be open to testing the Hurricane as well. Before I switched to Xiom Vega Asia DF I used Hurricane 3 and then 8 so I am pretty familiar and feel I could review it pretty well. I have done reviews on here before but, it has been a couple years. Let me know

Thanks

P.S. I reside in Minneapolis, MN and play every day except for Sunday and Monday

Edited by Tek101 - 11/08/2017 at 10:11pm
|Xiom Ice Cream AZX|
|FH: Sword Long Can Pro Version
|BH: Xiom Vega Asia DF Max
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 1:19am
Review: Xiom Feel ZX2

I'll be reviewing the ZX2 gradually in this post.

Weight: 86g
Thickness: 6.61mm
Rebound Speed: 1507 Hz

Here are some photos:

I put H3 Neo, T05 and Xiom Omega V Tour rubbers on this blade (not the TT11 testing one but another spare that I have).

Generally, I have more affinity to non-Innerforce composites and my review shall be similar. This blade is slightly bouncier and faster than the ZX3. Speed is similar to that of the Viscaria. Great spin on slow strokes. A bit less on powerloops (relative to ZX3) but more speed. Great feeling. Paired with T05, you'd have a combination of a rocket launcher / spin machine.

Again, I like this blade more than those of the prior versions (except the Xiom Vega Pro which was decent). Stiffness is similar to that of the ZX3 (though the Innerforce structure should make this less stiff, this blade is about 1mm thicker which offsets that). However, I like the ZX3 a bit more (just personal preference).

A must try if you're into blades like the IF-ALC, HL5 or IF-Layer ZLC.

Edited by slevin - 12/03/2017 at 10:28pm
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2017 at 1:20am
Review: Xiom Feel ZX3

I'll review the ZX3 gradually in this post

Weight: 85g
Thickness: 5.69mm
Rebound speed: 1335 Hz

Notes: So, this is perhaps why this ZX3 seems a class slower than the ZX2 - it is 1mm thinner (5.69mm vs 6.61mm). Examining the two blades, it seems that the 1mm difference seems to come from the thickness of the 2 non-core wood layers.

On the face of the blade, the catapault is indicated as 'extreme' - I doubt that that is true.

Both the Feel blades are very well made - initial quality seems very good.

Here are some photos:

I tested the blade with H3 Neo, T05, Xiom Omega V Tour and Rasanter R42 rubbers.

In short, I think this is one of the most (if not THE most) spinny composite blades I have played with. The outer layer is really something - it is really sticky. I use tearmender and for the 1st time, when I removed the BH rubber from the blade, the entire glue layer stuck to the blade and none to the rubber. It gives great feeling. 

Loops are very easy to generate with this blade and you have a lot of control on them. Short game is great as well. Stiffness is about the same as that of the Viscaria.

The speed is perhaps a notch or half notch slower than Viscaria (it is about the same as the Xiom Vega Pro). However, because it has ZLC fiber, you can really power through if needed.

The blade offers good feedback as well. 

I think that this is the best Xiom blade I've tried so far.

Edited by slevin - 12/03/2017 at 10:19pm
al_111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al_111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2017 at 3:57pm
Any updates on Nittaku H3 Turbo?
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2017 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by al_111 al_111 wrote:

Any updates on Nittaku H3 Turbo?

Detailed review shall be posted Saturday. Cliff Notes: felt quite similar to the H3 Neo except with a slightly softer (and differently numbered from H3 Neo) topsheet and hard Euro-sponge (though it feels Chinese to me).

Heavy (57g cut) but the weight did not affect me. Perhaps, slightly easier to play. To me, it felt quite similar to H3 Neo. A bit bouncier on smaller hits but a bit less powerful on power loops. A bit easier to generate spin with (topsheet is less stiff). Does not require boosting (to make topsheet more elastic). Easier for players to convert from Euro / Jap rubbers.

BTW: Equipment to test goes out today and tomorrow. I shall update everyone with the tracking numbers.
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2017 at 4:49pm
ZX2 is an inner type and ZX3 is an outer type composite? 
The blades looks nice
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2017 at 5:00pm
^ Yup.

@Slevin: Xiom’s ratings claim that the ZX3 is “spinnier” than the ZX3. But afaik they don’t rate the ZX2 as faster than the ZX3, which might be expected on a blade that gets rated as less spinny. What’s your take on this?
al_111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al_111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2017 at 4:17am
Thanks, Slevin! Just to be clear - are you comparing it to a boosted or unboosted H3N?
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2017 at 8:51am
Can't wait to see a review for the Stiga blades, thanks tt11 for this generosity.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2017 at 8:56am
Originally posted by al_111 al_111 wrote:

Thanks, Slevin! Just to be clear - are you comparing it to a boosted or unboosted H3N?

To boosted H3N. If you don't like boosting, This rubber trumps H3N.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2017 at 10:20pm
The ZX3 review is updated above. The blade has been mailed to LOG1C1AN.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2017 at 10:28pm
The ZX2 review is updated above. Blade is mailed to kindof99.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2017 at 10:42pm
Review: Nittaku Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo Orange

The rubber is heavy (like the H8): 57g cut to standard blade. However, the weight did not affect my play much.

The topsheet looks and feels very similar to the H3 Neo except a bit softer to the touch). It has a different LARC number.

The sponge feels hard (harder than that of the MX-P) and to the naked eye it looks very similar to the regular orange sponge (I can't see the pores). However, here are photos with a 65x microscope (1st photos is this rubber and the next one is the regular H3 Neo Provincial 39 deg sponge):

I tried this on a Viscaria.

In short, this is a fantastic choice for those that don't want to boost and want as close to the H3 Neo experience as possible (but find H3 Neo not bouncy enough without boosting). This rubber plays like the H3 Neo except that it is slightly more bouncy (and a bit less tacky) at the table. I find my powerloops with H3 Neo to be a bit more powerful.

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2017 at 1:13am
Review: Xiom Feel Z2

The build quality of the blade is very fine. The top hinoki layer looks ..... pretty. The handle is not small to me, kind of reminds me of that of the Primorac Carbon. The good thing is that it is not flat and wide like the Zetro Quad.

1), First test, 12/07/2017
Rubbers, forehand: black DHS Goldarc 8,
       backhand: red BTY T05fx
Paddle weight: 175g
With these two rubbers, the paddle feels way too head light. I did not measure the weight distribution of the blade, but I guess it must be very close to the handle.  This feature makes it very easy to switch between forehand and backhand, but at the same time, I feel that it can produce less power.

Another feature I felt is that the blade feels kind of Hinoki-less. For my Xiom Zetro Quad, I can feel the paddle bite the ball when looping, but I don't have that feeling with the Zx2. ZX2 can still loop very well, but not as good as Zetro Quad based on my personal feeling.  Backhand of ZX2 is much better to play with than the Zetro Quad. 

As for match plays, it seems that Zx2 can do everything fine, but does not stand out in any aspect.

More reviews are coming as I plan to change  rubbers for the next couple of days.

2),Second test
One of the 2100+ players in my club tested it for several minutes. His first comment is that the blade is very "direct".  He also mentioned its similarity to the stiga carbo 7.6.  I tried it again with another rubber, but my initiation stood the same. This blade can do everything fine, but does not stand out in any aspect.  

The blade will be mailed to the next tester. I will be starting to test Zx3.

Edited by kindof99 - 12/21/2017 at 5:31pm
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2017 at 1:23am
Would love to test the Carbonado 45 in January
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2017 at 12:53pm
The ZX3 is going out to kindof99 today.

Slevin was kind enough to send me the Xiom ZX3 for testing. I did a short two hour test last night. Here are my brief impressions.

The blade is also high quality with a very smooth finish. Tons of info printed on both sides including the claim of 250 year old Kiso Hinoki wood. In my semi-professional estimate I would say the wood is not a day over 225. Tongue

The handle has a slightly less smooth finish than the blade. It is also very slightly smaller than the width of the blade so that you can feel the blade sticking out from the handle as you run your thumb around the circumference of the handle. Not a deal breaker, but an unexpected small flaw for an expensive blade.

This blade is light weighing 83.3 on my scale.

I glued with rubber cement an Andro Rasanter R47 2.0 black to the FH and an Air DefenderS 2.0 red to the BH. Even with lighter 2.0 rubbers the glued blade felt head heavy in my hand which is not my preference. The wings on the blade are sharp, and if I owned it I would for sure do some sanding.

I am currently playing with a Butterfly Primorac Carbon weighing 85 grams. A few years ago when they first hit the market I owned two Xiom Hayabusa ZXi's and played them for about 8 months.

The line is marketed as the Feel series. This blade does have very good feel. From the very first balls I hit the blade just felt right. I did not struggle at all to place the ball where I wanted with various shots. The blade is fast, but my own blade is fast and I would estimate the speed about equal to my Primorac Carbon. I felt like the touch was probably better with the ZX3 than the Primorac. For a fast blade, the over the table and mid-range game was excellent. I rarely play far back from the table except in practice rallies, but there was enough pop to handle a long game. However, far back from the table there was a small power drop off compared to the Primorac.

I have one major dislike about it that is a deal breaker for me. It has a very small / short handle. I'm a bigger guy at 6'3" and about 230, and the handle was uncomfortably small for me. The handle is also about 1/8" shorter than the Primorac. If I owned it I would probably have a craftsman replace the handle for me.

Overall though, an excellent blade.

Edited by LOG1C1AN - 12/08/2017 at 6:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic