Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting Schooled By My Own Students

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting Schooled By My Own Students
    Posted: 11/11/2017 at 6:27am
I played a doubles match for the first time with some of my students yesterday.

We started off okay, but by the end the momentum of the other two got the better of my partner and I.

Very fun match (I think my partner was kind of sad because she's been in a slump recently). You can see how happy the other two were as they started to get the points.

The 2 girls I was playing against specialize in doubles. The girl without glasses uses long pimples on her backhand (black). Off memory she changed to no sponge awhile back, but she might have changed back to sponge. I didn't check the rubber. My partner doesn't usually play doubles (she competes in singles only).

I can beat any of them pretty easily in a singles match. That said, I legitimately lost this time hehe.

I didn't include most of the match. I'm not posting this for people to analyse the play. I just hope others enjoy watching it as much as I did playing it.

Sponsored Links

balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2017 at 11:13am
you teach all of them to play? from the beginning? How long have they played table tennis? They actually look good.
Playing with these girls must be a lot of fun, they are so enthusiastic.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2017 at 11:57am
School uniform? Even shoes are the same...
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2017 at 12:13pm
what's the screaming noise for before each point ?
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2017 at 10:37pm
@balldance They were all complete beginners (like never held a racket) 1.5 years ago. And thanks :) I do teach them, but I'm not their main coach.

All middle school clubs in Japan practice whatever they choose for roughly 10 hours a week at school. Plus these girls also visit the local club for 1.5 hours twice a week.

@pgpg Minus the girl wearing table tennis shorts, they're wearing their school P.E. shorts, but the top isn't uniform. It's their school table tennis club shirt. They also bought matching shoes when they first joined the club.

@viva The screaming is important in Japan. If you don't make a sound like that before each point, or say "nice ball", "lucky", "nice course", "nice serve", etc, while playing, it means you have a bad attitude. They are taught to do it. By western standards it might seem strange or rude, but in Japan it's normal.

Maybe I'm used to it now, but I actually like that the students do it. Shows that they care, and it helps to keep them motivated during the game.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2018 at 1:00am
Glad to say that those 2 girls came first in the prefecture in the recently middle school tournament!

I was in Australia so I didn't see the games, but apparently they beat everyone 3-0 except for the finals, which was 3-1.

Pretty good considering one of them has some knee problems, and one just got back from having the flu.

The level for doubles isn't very high because the students can only participate in either singles or doubles. So usually the best few students at each school do singles instead.

Still a great achievement for them, though!
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2018 at 7:43am
I love the enthusiasm. (The noise while serving was annoying). Congrats coach, it takes a special and patient person to work with that age group.
mycuzinvinny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycuzinvinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2018 at 3:20pm
I taught English in the JET program for 2 years.  I would hit TT with the students at the school weekly, so much fun.  The clubs would play year round except for Aug break.

I mainly helped coach the basketball team, imagine trying to do that without knowing the language, alot of gestures, sometimes pretty funny.
Donic Epox Offensive
Tenergy 05 FX Max (FH and BH)
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2018 at 6:51pm
Thanks! They have many many great coaches to help them. I'm only one of many! They're aiming for 1st in the prefecture for the team event. I think they'll get there. It's pretty close at the moment. Singles events are impossible though haha. Too many juniors.

Yeah! I'm actually on my 5th year on JET. I started coaching the students 2 years ago. It has helped me learn a lot about the game, too. The language barrier was definitely a thing at first. Now I know all the terminology in Japanese :)
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2018 at 7:48am
This is their coach. She uses long pimples on her backhand. She actually introduced this club to me nearly 4 years ago. Her younger sister was a student at one of the schools I teach at. If it wasn't for her, I never would have gotten into table tennis this much.

She's a lot better than me still. I'm slowly catching up though. I remember when I first started, these people I'm playing with now seemed like GODS at table tennis, haha.

I usually practice with the students one on one, but that day since 10 students came, we had 2 tables dedicated to multiball, so I was feeding balls for the second table. 1.5 hours of straight up feeding balls and damn does your back start to hurt! After the students left, we did some free play for like 20 minutes (some fun points in the video below).

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2018 at 10:50pm
The students just keep on improving! I still haven't lost to them, but at this rate I think they might overtake me in a month or so just before their final tournament. Once they lose in that tournament (it goes from local level to prefectural level, to the prefectural block, to all Japan), they'll all retire from club activities to focus on studying for high school entrance exams. I hope they can get to the prefectural block or higher. They'll at least get to the prefectural level.

We did elevator match play that day. This girl is the strongest in the school. I usually beat her 3-0, but last time I played her a month or so ago, it was 3-1, and this time it was 3-2. She's getting super fast!

A few points from the match. Also, they're all so well mannered. You can see her opening the fence for me during the last point for me to get back. Usually they'd get the ball too, but I usually just run off to get it before they can haha.

EDIT: Oh, and she's the same girl in the first video. My doubles partner.

Edited by mickd - 06/03/2018 at 10:54pm
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2018 at 10:59pm
You've been coaching her well.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2018 at 12:05am
I do little compared to the other coaches! So many people help with their development, and of course, they are extremely smart and hard working students. Collectively we've been working hard, though!

The next generation will be a lot weaker, but the generation after that might be pretty strong. So far 2 year 6 students are regularly coming to practice twice a week. They'll enter the school and join the table tennis club next year. They are already developing solid foundations!
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 11:05pm
Many of the students love the Tomahawk serve. I'm quite used to it, so usually I'm able to attack the ball quite well (especially the long ones), but when they do come short, they're a killer to return. Loaded with spin. A lot of the players much better than me struggle to return them as well.

This is one serve I wish to perfect! It's quite tiring to practice, though (so I don't hehe). I don't think I can squat down and get up fast enough.

This was was taken during practice.

Yes, I suck. So no need to mention that in your replies!!
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 11:13pm
Internet is bad where I am now so have not been able to view recent videos. Just wanted to let you know I always enjoy your videos and will get to the recent ones as soon as I have reliable internet.

Mark
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 1:39am
Thank you, Mark! I miss seeing all the videos and posts you used to make! Hopefully you'll be back after your trip? :)

Let me know what you think after you see the videos. Always nice to discuss things or even just chat!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic