Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

spinny rubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pacificspice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacificspice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spinny rubber
    Posted: 11/13/2017 at 11:32am
Hi there my usatt ranking is around 1500. My current setup is Mark V max on BH and Hurricane 3 max on FH with a slower R2 all wood blade bought from colestt. The last few tournaments I have played I have lost to some folks because I was not able to pick serves which were way too spinny and forehand loops also way to spinny you block it and it would fly off the table. My serves even though I usually trouble my similar ranked players with my serves I was not to these players. I know some of these players are probably higher in the 1600 to 1700 range but there is something about their setups which I feel is causing me to be at a disadvantage. So my question is if there is something I could do to upgrade my setup to compete better against such players.
Sponsored Links

BramV View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BramV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 11:59am
Sounds like a technique issue in my ears or some kind of trouble with reading spin. Those things can be overcome with training. Now if you would want to change equipment I'd first look into a different blade, maybe something a touch harder and a bit more stable.
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 4:13pm
I agree with Bram. If anything, your blade might be too flexible. So first work of technique and if you still have troubles blocking try a stiffer blade. Rubbers are absolutely fine.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 7:20pm
For the main part you are playing people better than you, and changing equipment may backfire as you have a controlled setup now, getting a faster one will be worse, time and training will get you better as you improve playing higher ranked players
How do you go against players of your level?

some side notes, learn from your mistakes, film yourself, get in first , hit less to their good places

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 7:37pm
Your main problem is dealing with higher levels of spin these players are able to produce. Not an equipment problem, mostly a skill/technique/experience issue. You will adjust as you play better opponents (and just you wait until you have to face serves/loops of 2000+ player - and let's not mention 2500+ ones).

Now, there is always a way to address this issue with equipment by getting LP/anti etc. But - it will create another set of problems, so, for what it's worth - work on your technique and spin-reading skills before you go that route.  

USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
808ponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 808ponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 9:50pm
Life is short. Play with nicer gear if you want - my opinion is you’re a decent level serious tournament player to warrant spending more on equipment. However like everyone else is saying the issues you’re having aren’t equipment related.
BTY Harimoto Stiga DNA M
GSOM_GSOM11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2017 at 4:57pm
Dont be afraid of the spin in their loops! Punch more to engage your blade in your block and overcome the spin. Either close your paddle and make a spin-block. The paddle must be above the ball at any moment of your stroke.
Considering services, the most spinny services usually go long without second bounce. Don't try to push these balls short or play 'safely' in any other way. Just use your footwork to step around and punish this service with a full-power FH loop. Especially with your H3 on FH, which is no good for passive game, but turns into a weapon of mass destruction when it is used for power attack. This is the best way to overcome spin, after some loopkills they are likely to start serving shorter, and short serves are usually less spinny.

To get to one's next level, one should play bravely and try to attack the balls which he was afraid of before. After some time your risky shots will become routine ones. Especially with a Hurricane or a Skyline, which are made for brave game with some risk and lots of power.

P.S. Does your setup allow you to kill a long push with a FH loopdrive 'with crack sound', which means that both your rubber and blade are engaged in the stroke, and still it produces lots of spin? Some ALL and ALL+ blades are too soft to do this with H3.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2017 at 11:58pm
As a low level EJ, who has played many years with that equipment, I can tell you that the immediate rewards (great service from H3, strong 3rd ball attack, great kill potential vs pushes) and solid push and allround play from Mark V evaporate versus players who can block the 3rd ball and overpower the Mark V.

GSOM told the truth of H3; requires you to be brave and active. 

brave, because you have to read incoming spin on service well, and H3's topsheet will let you turn opponent spin against them.

active, because you have to have good footwork and positioning to return out of position balls. i'd argue that H3's sponge allows you to "ignore the spin on powerful balls" to allow you to counterattack faster loops and drives, it also requires you to be in the right position to take the shot.

If you are mortal and do not have great movement, there are other rubbers that are more forgiving and that will get you farther, without all the footwork drills).

In the DHS line, the Tinarc series were the first solid attempt. But since DHS changed sponge on that rubber, am a big fan of Sanwei Target National right now.

And Mark V was great with the 38mm ball, but there are modern rubbers like Rasant / er that perform with the D40+ balls without giving up too much control.

I tried Mark V with the plastic ball, and honestly, I think people's fondness of Mark V is nostalgia and not reality...

I'm not exaggerating when I say that there are rubbers that produce more spin, more speed and yet have higher control with the plastic ball.

Any of the last and current generation tensors have a medium or soft version that is equally if not more forgiving of user error, yet capable of higher max spin and speed than Mark V.

Acuda Blue P2 or P3 come to mind as well.

Edited by icontek - 11/15/2017 at 9:22am
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2017 at 6:07am
People still use Mark V
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic