Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Coming Back From Knee Surgery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coming Back From Knee Surgery
    Posted: 11/13/2017 at 8:07pm
Hey forum friends,

I'm in the process of recovering from knee surgery...ACL Reconstruction to be specific. I'm about 2 months post surgery.

I'm curious if any of you that have recovered from this surgery (or other types of surgery) would be willing to share your experience?

Maybe some recovery tips, timelines for playing again, warnings, other advice, etc.

Thanks!
Korbel
T05 / Curl P1
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 8:55pm
I had hip replacement surgery back in April. The first two weeks were the toughest, learning to walk again. But the pain is gone !
It all gets better, the key is to keep moving.  walking is best in the beginning, I've been playing matches for about 3 months.  Almost all the way back. Big smile
TBS Black Tag: T25(FH)/Attack 8 pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2017 at 11:44pm
What does your doctor recommend?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Fabian1890 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fabian1890 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2017 at 7:49am
Usually ACL reconstruction takes about 6-9 months for an amateur as far as i know. 6 or less if you have an athlete's body and enough time and resources for physical therapy
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

What does your doctor recommend?

My doctor has given me general recommendations...avoid pivoting movements, stop if it starts to hurt, etc. He has given me the green light to start coaching again.

Like Fabian1890 mentioned, full recovery is 6-9 months. I'm only two months along, so in the meantime, I'm trying to stay positive. I haven't talked to any TT players that have come back from ACL reconstruction, and I'm hoping to hear how that went from any forum members.
Korbel
T05 / Curl P1
bard romance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2017 at 1:27pm
As cliche as it sounds I would stick strictly to what your doctor recommends and get going on physical therapy as soon and often as possible. Choose a PT clinic that works with athletes. Do all the PT suggested exercises at home for strengthening and stability as much as they recommend. It will take time. As for being on the table I wouldn't do any sort of thing involving footwork until longer in your recovery, but you can definitely maintain your hand skills until then. Even spinning a ball around on your paddle from time to time should help you to maintain or even improve your feeling.
metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2017 at 2:04pm
I had my ACL replaced in my right knee and I was back playing 100% after 9 months.
It is very important that you stick to what the Dr prescribes, and make sure you go to rehab since your muscles get weak fast, my right calf was much smaller after the first 4 weeks post operation. I had some swelling when I stayed on my feet for long periods of time for the first 3 months, so I would carry a cold pack for icing which helped bring down the swelling. The hard part of the recovery was having confidence to plant my foot and rotate, but after a while the feeling went away.
Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2017 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by metalone metalone wrote:

I had my ACL replaced in my right knee and I was back playing 100% after 9 months.
It is very important that you stick to what the Dr prescribes, and make sure you go to rehab since your muscles get weak fast, my right calf was much smaller after the first 4 weeks post operation. I had some swelling when I stayed on my feet for long periods of time for the first 3 months, so I would carry a cold pack for icing which helped bring down the swelling. The hard part of the recovery was having confidence to plant my foot and rotate, but after a while the feeling went away.

I'm glad to hear that you are back playing 100%. Thanks for the reply.
Korbel
T05 / Curl P1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic