Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Favorite Socks for TT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Favorite Socks for TT
    Posted: 11/20/2017 at 9:07pm
This might sound ridiculous but I cant find a good pair of cushioned socks to train in.

I have tibhar socks purchased from tt11 and they are alright but definitely not cushioned, and do not wick away moisture too well. I end up changing socks during a training session at least once.

I also end up with a nasty blister on outside of my big toe on my left foot which I usually push off from for lateral movements. I play in Mizuno Wave Drive 8 with cushioned insoles.

Tried to look for cushioned socks on amazon but there aren't that many choices to choose from in terms of thick cushioned ankle/low cut socks for athletic performance.

What do you guys use? Thanks
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Sponsored Links

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 9:13pm
You can do it like Federer... use 2 pairs of socks.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 9:34pm
I think it's not a sock's job to provide cushioning - shoe should do it, perhaps with some help from insoles.

May be you need a different shoe - in my limited exposure to TT shoes, they are not that good at cushioning. I've been using Asics Gel Rocket 7 (volleyball ones) for several years now, and they are just fine. Perhaps your footwork is at a pretty advanced level and you can benefit from TT-specific model, but Asics is good enough for me, together with whatever low cut athletic sock is on sale in nearby store.
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

I think it's not a sock's job to provide cushioning - shoe should do it, perhaps with some help from insoles.

May be you need a different shoe - in my limited exposure to TT shoes, they are not that good at cushioning. I've been using Asics Gel Rocket 7 (volleyball ones) for several years now, and they are just fine. Perhaps your footwork is at a pretty advanced level and you can benefit from TT-specific model, but Asics is good enough for me, together with whatever low cut athletic sock is on sale in nearby store.

I’ve previously had the ASICS gel court control and had the same problem in terms of blisters. You are right, socks do not provide main cushion but I feel that thick cushioned socks will help with managing the blisters better.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

I’ve previously had the ASICS gel court control and had the same problem in terms of blisters. You are right, socks do not provide main cushion but I feel that thick cushioned socks will help with managing the blisters better.

Could it be that your shoes are too big/wide, so your foot has too much freedom to slide around, and thus blisters? Never had blisters from running/TT - lost a couple of nails, but that's different.
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 9:53pm
It took me some time to find well cushioned socks. Turned out, I needed tennis socks. They do help a lot, that way I can use less cushioned shoes and my feet are doing great. 
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2017 at 10:56pm
For blister protection I use a pair of hiking liner socks under my regular socks.  These are very thin polyester socks.  They wick moisture really well and are very slick so any rubbing is not transferred to your skin.  I used to use two pair of regular socks when I played tennis.  But I like the liner sock system much better.

Mark
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2017 at 12:05am
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

It took me some time to find well cushioned socks. Turned out, I needed tennis socks. They do help a lot, that way I can use less cushioned shoes and my feet are doing great. 

I actually ordered these today Jacek, well see how they turn out. They sell a 3 pack for about $30.
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2017 at 12:13am
I use Asics tech running socks...

Sometimes you think your socks are ok until you upgrade and think “what the hell have I been wearing...”
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
6Finger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2017 at 6:11am
Butterfly socks are really great, quite thick and durable.
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2017 at 9:47am
Unless it's extremely important to you to have the little BTY logo on everything you wear, don't get BTY socks.  

Sure, they're good quality, but the price is stupid.  Butterfly socks are for sponsored players who can get them for free.  Just go buy some non-TT brand athletic sock and find which one works best.  You can get 6 pairs of them for the cost of 1 pair of BTY socks.

I generally wear ADIDAS socks, but I don't recommend them.  They're kind of thin, so I'm thinking of trying something new soon.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2017 at 9:54am
You can find well cushioned socks at any decent sporting goods store. Tennis shops also. Don't buy TT branded socks. They are terrible. Socks sold by Head and Prince are pretty good.
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2017 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

You can find well cushioned socks at any decent sporting goods store. Tennis shops also. Don't buy TT branded socks. They are terrible.

You think they're terrible?  Which socks did you try?  I have 2 pairs of BTY socks and they're fantastic quality.  

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2017 at 10:10am
Butterfly. It was a few years ago.

By the way I suspect the OP has a shoe problem rather than a sock problem.
shinchan1506217 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinchan1506217 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2017 at 11:05am
Does crew socks or ankle socks have an advantage over the other? I usually wear crew socks but a lot of my friends with a lot of tt equipment wear ankle socks

Edited by shinchan1506217 - 11/21/2017 at 11:07am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2017 at 11:10am
Originally posted by shinchan1506217 shinchan1506217 wrote:

Does crew socks or ankle socks have an advantage over the other? I usually wear crew socks but a lot of my friends with a lot of tt equipment wear ankle socks

no.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2017 at 11:16am
https://thelifeoffulness.blogspot.com/2013/08/negative-effect-of-wearing-tight-socks.html

Beware of the tight socks. I used to make a small cut on the sock's upper band with scissors. The band is a deadly noose on your feet.

Edited by igorponger - 11/21/2017 at 11:42am
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2017 at 11:36am

Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

Could it be that your shoes are too big/wide, so your foot has too much freedom to slide around, and thus blisters? Never had blisters from running/TT - lost a couple of nails, but that's different.

I thought of that too when I switched shoes. The asics I had were slightly narrow at the forefoot, the wave drive are not, there is a little bit of wiggle room but not roomy at all. Replacing the insoles made it a bit more secure as well but still getting blisters. I actually tried the wave medal 5 which were way too wide for me in the forefoot so I had to sell those.

I never had blisters from running or playing basketball. I think the way I move my feet (footwork) is causing this as well because it only happens on my left foot. I noticed when I shift weight or move to my right laterally, instead of shuffling my left foot I end up sliding it or dragging it on the floor and pushing off from the inside of my left foot. It well maybe a footwork problem.

I'm going to give some thorlo socks a try and if not I might have to end up changing shoes to something like the Mizuno Wave Tornado X which has more cushioning and bolstering on the sides.

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2017 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Swiff Swiff wrote:

Unless it's extremely important to you to have the little BTY logo on everything you wear, don't get BTY socks.  

Sure, they're good quality, but the price is stupid.  Butterfly socks are for sponsored players who can get them for free.  Just go buy some non-TT brand athletic sock and find which one works best.  You can get 6 pairs of them for the cost of 1 pair of BTY socks.

I generally wear ADIDAS socks, but I don't recommend them.  They're kind of thin, so I'm thinking of trying something new soon.

I'm trying to stay away from BTY branded clothing, too expensive for me.

I bought few pairs of tibhar socks sold on tt11 a while back, they were like $3 a pair which is very cheap imo. They are durable, but not cushioned well at all.
cktenders View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cktenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2017 at 11:48am
I got to agree with the people recommending the BTY socks. Super thick and durable. As far as TT branded socks go, I would say Nittaku socks are 9/10s as good as BTY socks, and I have found them for as low as $6 on TT11. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2017 at 12:48pm
I usually wear these.  Three pair per pack.  No TT logo, which I consider a plus.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/powersox-mens-power-lites-low-cut-socks-3-pair#repChildCatid=3104718
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2017 at 1:26pm

Edited by igorponger - 11/21/2017 at 5:01pm
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2017 at 1:51pm

I usually wear these.  Three pair per pack.  No TT logo, which I consider a plus.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/powersox-mens-power-lites-low-cut-socks-3-pair#repChildCatid=3104718

I'm gonna give these a shot as well. Thanks for the link Baal.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2017 at 7:49pm
Problem solved:

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2017 at 1:49am

I ordered those along with these:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/powersox-adults-pro-thicks-quarter-socks#repChildCatid=65240

Very happy with the pro thick socks. Great cushioning and material. The power-lites are also great material but a little thin for my current shoes. Will work well for the summer probably.

Edited by DreiZ - 12/09/2017 at 10:16am
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2017 at 6:05am
I too am ordering those Pro-Lites. Will take a while to report back on them.
henningf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henningf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2017 at 9:14am
BTY socks (Yes they’re not cheap, but I like them the most)
htfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote htfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2017 at 3:30pm
https://wrightsock.myshopify.com/

^^ they should have something that would fit the bill for you. i bought my 3rd & 4th pair double layer ankle socks ages ago and they are still going, although my first 2 pairs are now a bit "hole-y". allround great buy ...
denial ... it's not just a river in north africa
darucla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darucla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2017 at 8:05pm
I am tempted to say that Bernadette is my favourite Szocs, but that would be silly.
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2021 at 8:13am
Originally posted by alicia smith alicia smith wrote:

Champion Crew Socks are my favorite, cushion, dry cool & Athletic, have a look https://www.apparelshopusa.com/champion-performance-crew-length-mens-athletic-socks-678.html

I second your recommendation.

Thanks.
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic