FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Calling all Long pips users for info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling all Long pips users for info
    Posted: 11/23/2017 at 4:09pm
Ok so I'm gonna make me a 'fun' bat. Chen Weixing style. I don't want to be playing mid distance unless I have to, prefer to stay 1-3ft from the table blocking, chopping with BH and blocking, looping, attacking with the FH.
1. Do I go for OX or get some sponge (no higher than 1mm).
2. Do I get something safe like feint long 3 (which I have tried), DHS C8 or TSP curl P-1R.
3. as for a blade, can i just use my stiga ALL classic or would getting a Joo Sae Hyuk be the better option.

hit me with your thoughts Smile

Edited by Ndragon88 - 11/23/2017 at 4:09pm
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
Sponsored Links

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2017 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Ndragon88 Ndragon88 wrote:

Ok so I'm gonna make me a 'fun' bat. Chen Weixing style. I don't want to be playing mid distance unless I have to, prefer to stay 1-3ft from the table blocking, chopping with BH and blocking, looping, attacking with the FH.
1. Do I go for OX or get some sponge (no higher than 1mm).
2. Do I get something safe like feint long 3 (which I have tried), DHS C8 or TSP curl P-1R.
3. as for a blade, can i just use my stiga ALL classic or would getting a Joo Sae Hyuk be the better option.

hit me with your thoughts Smile

Sorry, I need to understand better... which Chen Weixing do you mean? The one that I know plays a lot from mid distance...

(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 1:26pm

Chen Weixing style.
prefer to stay 1-3ft from the table

Choose one
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 1:48pm
Maybe he means Liu Song 
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 2:08pm
I realise he spends more time mid distance but he also plays closer if he gets first attack in. I mean I did say 'Unless I have to' I guess it's not really too clear... I like his style including how he plays closer to table. I was putting it all in the post to see if people can suggest OX or sponge for me preferring to stay closer. Im not experienced at all with long pips so was really just wanting to get some more specific info to what I'm planning and if I can play it with my stiga ALL classic blade.
Stiga Clipper
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 2:29pm
Okay, one LP easy to learn is Friendship 755, e.g. 0.6 mm. Versatile, I liked it a lot, but not particularly difficult for opponents.
You can also start with TSP Curl P1R, e.g. 0.5 mm, that is an excellent and versatile LP rubber. 
Some L pips are tougher to control, but those will have more deceptive effect. There are probably about 30-40 LP types currently used by amateur players. Some M Pips play very much like L pips. 
Since everyone is different, people experiment a bit; with LP the trick is to give it some time (maybe 5-6 training sessions?) before you say 'neigh'. 
Try some, lose some, gain some...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

You can also start with TSP Curl P1R, e.g. 0.5 mm, that is an excellent and versatile LP rubber. 
Some L pips are tougher to control, but those will have more deceptive effect.

To OP:

P1R is one of the most demanding and difficult rubbers for beginners. It has a hard sponge and it's grippy. Also, deceptive pips aren't difficult to control.  When playing with deceptive pips you don't have to worry about incoming spin much - how's that difficult to control? The grippy pips are the ones that require good touch and proper technique.

I would recommend trying out something super inexpensive like 388D or Cloud&Fog on your all-around blade and go from there.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

To OP:

P1R is one of the most demanding and difficult rubbers for beginners. It has a hard sponge and it's grippy. Also, deceptive pips aren't difficult to control.  When playing with deceptive pips you don't have to worry about incoming spin much - how's that difficult to control? The grippy pips are the ones that require good touch and proper technique.

I would recommend trying out something super inexpensive like 388D or Cloud&Fog on your all-around blade and go from there.

You have a strong opinion probably based on your style and a lot of experience. My take is as I wrote it, based on my own game (close to table block on BH, inverted attack on FH, sometimes flat attacks with the BH LP). Also, these days 388D is much more expensive than 755 (I had to buy mine via Amazon for over 30 bucks).
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 3:00pm

You have a strong opinion probably based on your style and a lot of experience. My take is as I wrote it, based on my own game (close to table block on BH, inverted attack on FH, sometimes flat attacks with the BH LP). Also, these days 388D is much more expensive than 755 (I had to buy mine via Amazon for over 30 bucks).
Unless you were buying a treated 388D, a regular 388D (~ $15 cny) is cheaper than 755 (~$17 cny).
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 3:40pm
I just realized... price and availability might depend on where you are located Wink
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 4:13pm
You can chop and block with 388d ox ok with some effects,it is a bit slippery so good for serve return, you can attack with sideswipe but attack is not it's strength,if you can manage the serve return with it p1r ox will do everything you want but is more spin sensitive
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 4:21pm

I just realized... price and availability might depend on where you are located Wink
It is only 4.5 usd at ttnpp, and I believe they are more than happy to ship it to you Wink
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 4:43pm
I've had a look online for what's available in UK that is cheap. I got a choice of the friendship 755, dhs c7/c8 and cloud&fog, dawaei 388d/d1. 
So what we reckon from those choices. Or do I just pick any really? Or maybe give me the 3 better ones.
Stiga Clipper
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 4:52pm

I've had a look online for what's available in UK that is cheap. I got a choice of the friendship 755, dhs c7/c8 and cloud&fog, dawaei 388d/d1. 
So what we reckon from those choices. Or do I just pick any really? Or maybe give me the 3 better ones.
Liu Song style:  755 or 388D
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 5:26pm

Just pick one on a thin sponge and move on. If you decide to stay on the dark side, there is a lot of good info on ooak about pips, LP technique, etc. My first LP was 388d1 -- I was told it was the most popular LP in China and that was good enough for me. You can have it for $10 or less on ebay or ttnpp. All the other rubbers you have mentioned are fine too. Once you get into it, you will know what you need. Just don't buy a $40 LP rubber as your first one - waste of money.  
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 5:30pm

Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

To OP:

Sorry I didn't mean to sound rude. I am a chopper myself and have been playing with p1r for several months now. I know the rubber really really well and it's a beast when used by advanced players. It's also not a beast when used by amateurs. Actually I am in the process of switching to a slower, more forgiving Curl P4. 
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 9:08pm

I would go with a cheap OX long pip from eacheng or TTNPP which have lots of selection available. If you think you need to upgrade to an expensive one later then you have already went through the learning testing phase.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2017 at 3:55am
I have checked and it seems I have to choose out of 388D OX or the friendship 755 0.8 sponge.
This is based on the shops that have my blade and will glue on for me (i'm really not confident to glue them on).
Stiga Clipper
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2017 at 11:58am
Low priced LP rubber.
CK531A  OX,  4 sheets (free shipping) cost $17.  Per sheet cost is $4.25.

Edited by skip3119 - 11/25/2017 at 11:59am
skip3119
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2017 at 1:30pm

I have checked and it seems I have to choose out of 388D OX or the friendship 755 0.8 sponge.
This is based on the shops that have my blade and will glue on for me (i'm really not confident to glue them on).
Aha! something to work on... it is best to glue rubber sheets yourself. Sooner or later you will have to do it, if you are serious about your hobby. Not that difficult at all. 
There are a few threads with practical advice in this area on this forum.
What do you mean "shops that have your blade"? Are you buying a  new blade with the pips just to keep using the blade you are used to, instead of buying the pips and putting them on the blade yourself?
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2017 at 1:57pm

Aha! something to work on... it is best to glue rubber sheets yourself. Sooner or later you will have to do it, if you are serious about your hobby. Not that difficult at all. 
There are a few threads with practical advice in this area on this forum.
What do you mean "shops that have your blade"? Are you buying a  new blade with the pips just to keep using the blade you are used to, instead of buying the pips and putting them on the blade yourself?

Yeah my spare bat broke, so I wanted to get a new one same blade and rubbers (mark V instead of T05) but I thought I would just have some fun and put some long pips on and see if I like it enough to switch.
I have glued regular rubbers a fair few times, but i often make small mistakes and its hassle with my dog at home always shedding (ever tried getting out dog hairs that somehow get stuck after applied glue) and I really don't want to make a mistake with the pimples OX. (but maybe in the future I will).
The 388D are on offer at the moment so I will most likely get them.

Edited by Ndragon88 - 11/25/2017 at 2:00pm
Stiga Clipper
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic