Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Input for Testset

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Input for Testset
    Posted: 11/24/2017 at 5:07pm
Hello guys,

I'm putting together a test set for a friend. It will be 4 blades and 8 rubbers.
However, I'm not really sure what will be good combinations, so I'd like to have some input from ppl who have played with partly similar setups and can provide some insight.

This is the list so far:

Blades:

Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon
Andro Treiber K
Victas Fire Fall FC
Stiga Clipper

Rubbers:

MX-P
MX-S
EL-S
Rasanter R47
H8
Bluestorm Z1
Mantra M
V>15 Limber

So what will be good combinations FH/BH wise?
And what fits best on which blade?
Sponsored Links

sadius View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 5:16pm
What is your friend tt level?
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 6:48pm
He is an agressive two wings looper with classic european technique. USATT points would be around 1600.
Somebody sold him way too soft rubbers which caused all sorts of problems (essentially turning him into a passive blocker). He plays a balsa composite but wants to change that into a setup that enables him to play powerful and spinny from mid distance.
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 6:53pm
I'd like to emphasize that I mainly would like to know what rubbers best to pair with which blade.

Also, he'd like medium throw for FH and high throw for BH.
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 7:52pm
I’m tempted to suggest to use either the same rubbers on different blades or different rubbers on the same blade, but perhaps that’s part of the plan?
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 8:13pm
Out of all those I'm not sure there's any that's a great backhand rubber.
Maybe the victas limber or mantra m.. But... yeah.

Forehand  rubber any of those is fine it doesn't really matter. MXP or H8 are prolly the most distinctive.

richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 9:01pm
I would pair EL-S with the MX-P to do a direct comparison. The blade is going to feel like a dumbell though.

Rasanter 47 should be compared to the Bluestirm Z1.

Mantra M can be matched with the V>15.

And the H8 with Genesis M. ☺

And definitely report back the results!

darucla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darucla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2017 at 11:00pm
I have played with H8 on FH of a Clipper-like blade (DHS Long 3), with both MX-P and EL-S on BH.  I prefer the MX-P, and the combination is very versatile, especially for a two wing aggressive looper.

I also have analogues of the DOTC and the ATK, but don't personally get on great with them.  Not used any of the other rubbers listed.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2017 at 11:20am
Im using a true carbon with omega iv pro on backhand and fh recently switched to 14 dollar gambler burst on thors hammer sponge .

With OTC , I think h8 on forehand and a 45 deg rubber from the list you provided would be a good combo. (Been away for half a year from equipment stats, so i cant say which rubber exactly)

Edited by asifgunz - 11/25/2017 at 11:21am

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2017 at 5:51pm
Thanks for the input so far.

I was planning to put the EL-S on the BH of OTC. That's a 45 deg rubber.
Mantra, Victas, R47 and EL-S on BH, rest on FH.

Other thoughts?
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2017 at 5:53pm
Ok, so first test session, with 2 blades mounted:

OTC with MX-P and EL-P
Treiber K with R47 and MX-S

First Impressions:

The blades seem to be 100% identical. Optically there is absolutely no difference, and when bouncing the ball on the blade, I can confidently say that it makes the exact same tone for both blades.
Handle and weight maybe a bit different, but whatever, still identical blades.
Rubbers feel bouncy as expected.

First playing impressions:

Blades are pretty stiff. Medium hard. Countering is easy. Blocking is superb. Short game and serving is excellent. Compared to my PG12, serves bounce twice as often. A well executed high toss side-backspin serve bounces around 4 times and is super flat. (MX-P)

Blades are good for generating own power, I like them for FH. BH I miss a bit of flex to give extra power / control. Lobbing also felt easy.

Since blades are the same, rubbers were evaluated:

MX-S: Pretty technical rubber, too high demand for my friend, only is ok on my FH, but not so good with plastic balls overall. Plays like a boosted soft version of a low-throw chinese rubber. Neither consistent nor rewarding enough for any of us.

EL-P: Wimpy rubber. Plays like how I imagine a dead sheet of MX-P. Lacks power and control compared to MX-P. Maybe it plays better on a slower, softer blade.

R47: Numb allround rubber. Feels as numb as baracuda and does everything ok but doesn't excel in anything. I wonder why this was so unimpressive.

MX-P: Very good rubber! Does everything well, I tried hard to find any faults. I only find it too soft for my forehand, but I use really hard chinese rubbers there anyways, so this might not apply to you. Still very good on FH. I find it superb for BH and so did my friend. Consistency was impressive. It was especially forgiving to bat angle. Whether I flicked hard or soft, played with power or with touch, everthing landed with good speed and spin.

Will test more blades and rubbers later this week.

Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2017 at 2:59am
OK, so we did a lot more testing yesterday, but I'll have to keep it short this time.

Blades:
Victas Koki Niwa
: Was surprisingly slow. Flexier than OTC but still pretty stiff. But overall I found it to be lacking in speed and power.
Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro Black Edition: Good blade, feels very uniform and predictable. Blocking and hitting is a breeze. But it seemed to be quite stiff and heavy, which made us work really hard for getting speed and power. Even with Mantra M and Bluestorm Z1 it was tiring.

Rubbers:
Bluestrom Z1: Very spongy rubber. But still, good topsheet. Does everything pretty well, imparts good spin and ok speed, but the top end could have more catapult or power.
Mantra M: Very similar to Z1, but harder, thicker topsheet with more grip. Thus needs more effort but quality of balls is slightly better than Z1.
Hurricane 8: Well, I don't like this one. It's too soft and thus lacks power. Throw angle is always low, so that's not really a plus either. If you are used to H2/H3, only give it a try if you like softer chinese and play 39 degree version. It is surprisingly spin insensitive though. Good short game + service.
Victas V 15 Limber: Didn't play with this one, but it was the only soft rubber we tested, and surprise, it lacked even more power than the other rubbers.

We played everything with seamless plastic by the way. So the lack of speed on some of those rubbers became even more evident.

And still, MX-P easily reigns supreme for 40+, especially on BH.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic