FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

BBC Blades for forum testing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BBC Blades for forum testing
    Posted: 11/26/2017 at 8:10pm
Happy to announce that after losing the lease on his shop this July, Charlie is back to making blades at his new location!

Charlie has a new all-wood design(the ghost series) that we were testing before the shop closure, which has been specifically created to address these recent changes to the game

• Plastic Ball - The new ball is heavier and it takes more to get it going, keeping this in mind the ghost series is made with enough thickness and the right kind of composition to have adequate power and spin.
  • Heavier Rubbers - Most of the recent ESN rubbers have been heavy ( ~52g when cut to standard size), to address this, we decided to change some parameters
    • Shape - By default will come in tear drop shape(other shapes are also available), this reduces the blade surface area and thereby reducing the weight of the rubber.
    • Weight - Between 83-89g, so the overall weight is lower. 
    • Balance - Aimed at being neutral to head-light, so even with heavier rubbers, the racket is easier to wield. 
  • Comfortable Handles - This is nothing recent, but most blades are made for people with small hands, by default charlie's blades have comfortable large handles.
So we are looking for forum members in USA only(as international shipping is quite a hassle), who are interested in testing and reviewing the first model of the series, the "Hinoki Ghost", all you need to do is
  • Test the blade for 1 - 2 weeks.
  • Write a review in this thread.
  • Mail the blade to the next reviewer on the list or if you are the last reviewer, mail it back to me(you will have to pay for the shipping when mailing it to the next person).
Please reply in this thread, if you would like to be part of the list of testers/reviewers.

Currently I have 2 weights, one is 84g and the other is 89g, so do specify which one you would like to test.

p.s: Hinoki Ghost specs 
       Composition - Hinoki - Hinoki - High density Mahogany - Hinoki - Hinoki
       Thickness ~ 7mm
       Speed - OFF
       Suggested Rubbers - Ideal with rubbers that are 45 degrees or harder on the ESN scale, to complement the soft hinoki outers.

Edited by rocketman222 - 11/26/2017 at 8:31pm
Sponsored Links

h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2017 at 8:40pm
Love to try it. I'd be looking to try the 89g one!

Thanks!
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2017 at 8:58pm
how much does the blade cost?
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2017 at 9:18pm
Its currently priced at 99$, however if you want to buy the test blade, it will be 60$
conradyoung View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conradyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2017 at 10:03pm
I'd be up for it!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2017 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by conradyoung conradyoung wrote:

I'd be up for it!

Let me know which weight you would like to test.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2017 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

is it like nexy? if somebody buys the test blade then it's over and all people after the buyer can go and...buy themselves a blade at the full price at nexy.com? or maybe as soon as a test blade is bought at a discount another one goes to the next tester? the latter makes more sense to me but I understand both ways, even if the former seems a bit rude to the testers who commit but may get ditched along the way due to the random event of a tester buying the test blade (?)

fatt, in the event of this happening. we will immediately send a new one to the subsequent tester.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conradyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2017 at 10:26pm
As light as possible please, so the 84g one sounds great.

Edited by conradyoung - 11/26/2017 at 10:28pm
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2017 at 4:17am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

is it like nexy? if somebody buys the test blade then it's over and all people after the buyer can go and...buy themselves a blade at the full price at nexy.com? or maybe as soon as a test blade is bought at a discount another one goes to the next tester? the latter makes more sense to me but I understand both ways, even if the former seems a bit rude to the testers who commit but may get ditched along the way due to the random event of a tester buying the test blade (?)

fatt, the Nexy testing you refer to was not an official testing organised by Nexy in Korea. It was organised by me in cooperation with Nexy and I only had a limited number of blades that I have sent to the testers at my own expense. I think the scheme I chose is still better than the previous "we'll give you a blade for free in exchange for a review" in that only testers who liked the blade would be tempted to keep it. It's true that someone may decide to keep it for reselling but the margin would be relatively small.
Participating in the Nexy action essentially amounted to posting one's name and waiting, so "committing" was not a great burden, as I see it. Anyway, I understand you are disappointed with either the implementation, or the results.

All, apologies for the off-topic.

Edited by arg0 - 11/27/2017 at 4:19am
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2017 at 8:24am
Very good to know that he is able to make blades again.
I intendo to buy a 9-10-9 or a Quad Trip from him one day (or get an used one).
I'm curious to know more about this ghost series
Bikerjoe3 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bikerjoe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2017 at 11:56am
I have been playing with a Aspen Ghost 7.3 for about 5 weeks now and it is one of the best blades I have ever had. I am using harder sponge rubber because of the plastic ball and it works great.
Barracuda

Blades by Charlie
Aspen Ghost

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2017 at 2:26pm
So far we have the following testers signed up

for 89g version -

- h01ng
   - fatt

for 84g version -

- conradyoung

Last call for replying to get added to either of these lists.

Edited by rocketman222 - 11/28/2017 at 2:34pm
MCollins View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2017 at 5:07pm
I have only ever tried one BBC blade, and it was totally not my style (thick balsa blade) but I can unequivocally say the handle was the nicest handle I've ever held.  And anyone who has dealt with me knows I'm the most annoying, pickiest person when it comes to handles.  I'm in Canada so I can't put my name in this hat, but I commend you guys for putting off this testing.  Good luck to all the testers and I look forward to the reviews.  

Edited by MCollins - 11/28/2017 at 5:09pm
My Feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75703&title=feedback-mcollins
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2017 at 5:21pm
I would like to test the 84 gram.

Charlie makes my all time favorite handles.
YogiChris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YogiChris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2017 at 10:23pm
I’d love to try the 89g blade.

Edited by YogiChris - 11/29/2017 at 10:24pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2017 at 2:02am
LOG1C1AN and YogiChris , I am adding you guys to the list, PM me your addresses to send the blade to.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 8:55pm
Sorry for the delay but I have sent out the blades today to h01ng and conradyoung, expect them to reach by friday/monday.

This is the sequence of testers.
  • 89g version
    • h01ng
    • fatt
    • YogiChris
  • 84g version
    • conradyoung
    • Log1c1an

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2017 at 7:09am
I would like go try the either version please. Just to review, thanks
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2017 at 12:27pm
Rocketman222

Could you sign me up for an 89 grams flared

Just curious, is the straight handle a squared dimension or roundish (really like the TB series handle and MJ ST handles)

Edited by mon22 - 12/10/2017 at 12:56am
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conradyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2017 at 6:14pm
Blade received today! Will test this week. Thanks for making this happen rocketman222!
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2017 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by conradyoung conradyoung wrote:

Blade received today! Will test this week. Thanks for making this happen rocketman222!

Please share some pics with us if possible Big smile

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote conradyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2017 at 9:42pm
Photos!

As usual, the front contains information about the blade and Charlie's signature white dot on the handle.
The back is as nicely finished as the front. The surface is extremely smooth.

Closeup of the handle. Wood feels soft to the touch, very comfortable. The shape of the handle is somewhat conical and as you can see the cross section is like a flattened ellipse. I have large hands and this fits very nicely. It's not a straight handle due to a slight linear increase in the width towards the end. This allows for good feel at the neck with its narrow shoulders where your thumb and index finger control blade angle, while providing a lot of support towards your ring and little fingers.
Couple views of the side edge of the blade. This is classic Charlie - very finely finished, smooth, with no rough or sharp edges. His craftsmanship really shows here, and this is why we love his custom blades.
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2017 at 9:52pm
The outer and medial plies are very thick. Hinoki galore!! :)
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote conradyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2017 at 9:57pm
Glued up Hurricane 3 Neo, Saviga V OX LP, Dtecs OX LP

First impressions:
Smaller head size than I'm used to. Didn't affect play surprisingly. Sweet spot still nice and broad.
Bouncing ball on it, feedback was very nice, much nicer than the balsa carbon I'm used to.

Vs. moderate topspin ball:
Forehand drive and loop: nice easy loop, great feedback and control of depth and direction, really good topspin production.
Backhand counterhit: easy to punch the ball with very high speed. Given how easy it was to produce spin, I didn't expect this.

Vs. heavy topspin ball:
Forehand block is solid and loop-drive is really great, easy to send a lot of topspin back; backhand block is good but loop-drive can be touchy.

Vs. moderate backspin ball:
Pushes easy to control, can spin very heavily even if incoming push isn't heavy.
Flip is nice; loop vs backspin pretty easy and again provides good feedback.

Vs. heavy backspin ball:
High dwell time makes lifting backspin a breeze; inspires confidence in your ability to spin the heck out of the ball.

Using long pips:
Not so much feel, wood may be a bit too soft; trajectory on blocks is nice and low though.

Overall:
I'd say this is a really nice controllable offensive blade for someone who likes to attack with topspin. Someone with a killer opening loop-drive will really enjoy the ease of producing spin and speed with this blade. 

More to come!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2017 at 12:02am
Thanks for posting the pictures and mini-review.
808ponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 808ponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2017 at 3:00pm
Is is the photo angles or is the head size smallish?
BTY Harimoto Stiga DNA M
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2017 at 3:26pm
Small head size, see the description in the OP: shape is smaller to reduce the weight coming from the rubbers.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2017 at 3:46pm
I will try and post the exact dimensions, more than the dimensions, its the shape of the head, that is designed to have smaller area(on the lines of the donic JO shape)
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 1:48am
Got the blade in the mail yesterday - was mildly surprised since I wasn't expecting it but when I opened the package it made sense.

The blade was 87g on my scale.  I struggled to figure out what rubbers to put on it as its head was clearly smaller than my usual blades which made it unlikely that I could put my main rubbers on it and give a legit test.  I settled on using some old Vega Pro rubbers in good condition that I had but no longer used so I could test the claims on balance.  With the rubbers glued on and with grip tape, the blade came to 188g, which is about the same as my heavier Tibhar Inca (81g) with MX-S both sides and two rolls of grip tape to put more weight in the handle.  I prefer the feel of my Inca but I suspect I would prefer a lighter Hinoki Ghost as I have gotten used to lighter blades over the past month.

The blade has smaller wings.  This makes the handle feel really comfortable.  The Hinoki grab is really good and I can see myself like this despite not having used it yet.  OF course the balance could be a problem vs what I currently use but it could make a lot of sense at a lighter weight.  Will test drive it over the next week and post some conclusions.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 3:03pm
Just added this blade to the website, now available for purchase 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic