Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BBC Blades for forum testing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 3:24pm
Here is a link to the only match I have played with the Hinoki Ghost so far.  I suspect most of my issues with it were because I wasn't using my regular rubbers but that is what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD4cCOC_QSg

I wish I could test it with my regular rubbers but the size variance would make that hurt a bit.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I wish I could test it with my regular rubbers but the size variance would make that hurt a bit.

I wonder if Charlie could make a test blade in the attack 1 shape to make it easier for people to use their regular rubbers.

Edited by ohwell - 12/26/2017 at 3:31pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by ohwell ohwell wrote:

I wonder if Charlie could make a test blade in the attack 1 shape to make it easier for people to use their regular rubbers.

That would make the blade head heavy for sure then as I wasn't entirely sold on the weight savings claims but that could have been because I got a heavy blade in the first place.  I suspect the blade plays like a better control Garaydia but I can't be sure without using my regular rubbers as anything else I can live with putting on the Ghost is faster on short strokes and blocks.
Cybershape Carbon
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 4:20pm

That would make the blade head heavy for sure then as I wasn't entirely sold on the weight savings claims but that could have been because I got a heavy blade in the first place.  I suspect the blade plays like a better control Garaydia but I can't be sure without using my regular rubbers as anything else I can live with putting on the Ghost is faster on short strokes and blocks.

NL, would you be able to try your regular rubbers on it, I know its annoying to have flapping extra rubber on the sides, but it might give you a good idea of how it plays?

ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 4:22pm

Oh, so it’s very fast?

I was thinking that head heaviness could be offset by using heavier materials for the handle.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2017 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

NL, would you be able to try your regular rubbers on it, I know its annoying to have flapping extra rubber on the sides, but it might give you a good idea of how it plays?

Flapping is one part of it but it means not playing with my setup and that is a bit annoying.  Also what is the point in a blade claiming to be head light if you can't test that aspect of it with suitable rubber?

I have played with it enough to tell that it is a good blade and something I could play with, but I can't be fair on the short game and touch until I use my own rubbers.
Cybershape Carbon
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2017 at 7:52pm
Has any tester also played with 9-10-9 too? I would like to know their differences.

Bikerjoe3 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bikerjoe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2017 at 12:32pm
I have a Aspen Ghost 7.3 that I like a lot. I wonder what is the difference between the one I have and the new one with Hinoki, does anyone know.
Barracuda

Blades by Charlie
Aspen Ghost

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2017 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Bikerjoe3 Bikerjoe3 wrote:

I have a Aspen Ghost 7.3 that I like a lot. I wonder what is the difference between the one I have and the new one with Hinoki, does anyone know.

Hey Joe, I have hit with the aspen ghost, the only difference between that and hinokighost is the outerply, which is aspen wood instead of hinoki.

The aspen wood plays very much like limba and is a good substitue for limba, so there is a more crisp feeling with aspen, whereas hinoki feels very soft, I think the aspen ghost is also more suited for a hitting game, and also goes great with Long pips if you are inclined to go that route.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2017 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by shinshiro shinshiro wrote:

Has any tester also played with 9-10-9 too? I would like to know their differences.

Hi Shinshiro,

I have hit with a 9-10-9, the 9-10-9 has carbon and it feels slightly stiffer than ghost, and is a more all-round blade than ghost.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2017 at 2:12pm
I have glued on my regular rubbers and amazingly, they are lighter than the Vega Pro even uncut to size... that Vega Pro is an interesting rubber I Tell you...

I will test likely tomorrow, maybe today and conclude.  I will be travelling early next week and will probably need to send the blade on if I don't buy it (given the way it felt on the bounce test, it could happen)...
Cybershape Carbon
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2017 at 4:27pm

Originally posted by shinshiro shinshiro wrote:

Hi Shinshiro,

I have hit with a 9-10-9, the 9-10-9 has carbon and it feels slightly stiffer than ghost, and is a more all-round blade than ghost.

Thank you rocketman.
I ordered a 9-10-9 a few weeks ago but I'm not with it yet. After seen the HD pics of Hinoki Ghost on BBC website it caught (even more) my attention.
Is it possible for me to buy one of the test blades for $60? (in case the testers don't buy both of them)

Edited by shinshiro - 12/28/2017 at 4:28pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2017 at 10:18am
The blade plays pretty well. It does play differently from my current blades and has quite a bit more flex. Will need a couple of weeks to figure it out but it seems to take away the weight of the ball and I can use much shorter strokes.   Still work to be done.
Cybershape Carbon
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2017 at 11:22am

The blade plays pretty well. It does play differently from my current blades and has quite a bit more flex. Will need a couple of weeks to figure it out but it seems to take away the weight of the ball and I can use much shorter strokes.   Still work to be done.

How are the short game and blocks?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2017 at 11:50am
Will take a couple of weeks to confirm. They don't seem out of control but I need to use the blade in training and coaching and the holiday season makes that harder. My coach has complained about the speed of my equipment and this might help with that.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/29/2017 at 11:50am
Cybershape Carbon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2017 at 7:58pm

When you say it takes away the weight of the ball, I interpret it as being very stable, as this is what I feel when I compare it to other blades, it doesn't get rattled much by the heavier ball.

osmar92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osmar92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2017 at 8:30pm
how about combi blade, like carbon on one side and some hard wood slow on another
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2017 at 9:37pm

When you say it takes away the weight of the ball, I interpret it as being very stable, as this is what I feel when I compare it to other blades, it doesn't get rattled much by the heavier ball.

It's kinda soft. I usually feel I need to work hard to get the ball moving on my loops but with this blade and my rubbers, the loops are almost too easy.   It's to a point I can't loop drive with the combo as the ball stays on top long compared to my regular setup. So right now it is awesome for spin with my regular technique shortened but I need to make adjustments to drive the ball.

It's going to be another couple of weeks before I settle but right now I have a lot of knowledge with my Inca that I don't have with this blade. But the short stroke potential is going to keep me testing it.

Edited by NextLevel - 12/29/2017 at 9:37pm
Cybershape Carbon
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2018 at 5:36pm
Just checking in to say I got the blade

Will report and post a video this weekend.
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
MCollins View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2018 at 7:19pm
Looking forward to your review, Mon.
My Feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75703&title=feedback-mcollins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2018 at 7:48pm
Hope you have fun testing and reviewing this blade.
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2018 at 11:28pm
Coming from koto top ply, this blade is my first venture into Hinoki Wood. 

I would like to link this very good read/informational thread about hinoki.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?4749-Hinoki-deeper-study

I did my research prior to playing with it tonight, and the GHOST LOOP/FAKE LOOP the Koreans do that nexy talked about is very noticeable on the BBC HINOKI GHOST 

Will post thorough INITIAL REVIEW soon, With videos, transitioning between my main blade BOLL ZLC and the BBC blade 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2018 at 1:58am
It is definitely an interesting read, I wonder if there are any videos demonstrating this fake loop, I would like to try it out in practice
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2018 at 6:06pm
https://youtu.be/HTT3vOKYUsM

Rough VISUAL review

Will have a typed up thorough review sometime after my exams this week 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2018 at 6:13pm
This is awesome, you have really good form mon22

Embedding the video

mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2018 at 6:17pm
THANK YOU SIR! 

I gained a little weight after undergrad, so SLOW FEET is a pain

Equipment for reference:
Both Tim and I are playing with Hurricane 3 Neo
I boost one layer of falco, to skip the "BREAK IN" period and no boosting after

Mon - TB ZLC - H3 Neo, BH hexer
Tim - TB ZLF - H3 Neo, BH t64

BBC Hinoki Ghost - H3 Neo (from main TB ZLC setup, BH - Hexer)

I gave the Hinoki Ghost a chance by giving it my main rubbers, so I can distinctively tell the difference 

Edited by mon22 - 01/16/2018 at 6:19pm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2018 at 10:13pm
Any chance to get into the queue on the lighter Ghost (84 g, if I am not mistaken) ?

I love Charlie's blades and went through approximately twenty of them. Maybe even more. Currently I own seven  (three Blasters, two Tachyons, one Ultima, one QuadTrip). Or maybe eight --  I think I also have a one-ply Hinoki by BBC. I should not have traded my old 9-10-9 but all of my earlier blades were around 89-90 g and that is too heavy for me now, as my shoulder is busted.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2018 at 5:54pm
I received the Hinoki Ghost blade a couple of days before leaving for the US Open. I chose not to test it then because I didn't want to disrupt my rhythm with my own blade just before the Open. Then, the week after I got back I had a death in the family, and spent another week out of town. Then Christmas happened. Then I came down with the Flu bug for two weeks. At that point I felt bad that I had kept the blade too long already. My apologies to the next tester, mon22, for the delay.

So, at the beginning of the flu I asked a good friend who is a better and more knowledgeable player than myself if he would test the blade for me. He has owned many BBC blades over the years. This is his brief feedback:

The craftmanship of the blade is high quality, as are all Charlie's blades. It has the expected good feel of a Hinoki blade, but more subtle due to thinner surface Hinoki. The blade head was a bit smaller than average as is the case with several of Charlie's models. However, surprisingly, it was a bit on the head heavy side with MXP and Tenergy. The handle was not his favorite, unlike most BBC handles, because the thumb notch was in a different and awkward spot for his grip. But, the blade performed well and is a good value at that price for anyone looking to play with a Hinoki veneer.
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2018 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by LOG1C1AN LOG1C1AN wrote:

The handle was not his favorite, unlike most BBC handles, because the thumb notch was in a different and awkward spot for his grip.

Based on the pictures of the 84g blade above, the thumb rest looks a lot like the Ledge thumb rest I initially got on my BBC FD. I agree it’s not for everyone. Charlie being Charlie converting it to his standard thumb rest should be a breeze, though. :)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2018 at 2:34am
fatt, feel free to update us with your impressions, I hope you enjoy testing :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic