Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1700 Player Rating Change Depending on Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

1700 Player Rating Change Depending on Equipment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
BRS View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2017 at 3:44am
Like most surveys I think if you structured the question differently you could get the answer you want. The problem is most people here think the Stiga ALL+ bat is already optimal, and the 20 hours practice is too short to adapt to a new one. If you said the player used a Schlager carbon, or garaydia T5000, or whatever is the most stupid fast bat available, and would switch to the All+ for three months, comments might be willing to allow for more improvement. And I see more 1700 players using OFF+ bats than ALL+, so it's more realistic as well.

Personally I think Mark V 1.8 is equivalent to a Walmart paddle rubber, but I'm in a tiny minority hating on traditional rubbers. But after only 20 hours as in your question, any equipment change will probably be negative, 20 hours is nothing in table tennis. After three to six months maybe something good might happen.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2017 at 8:09am
You are not alone in your opinion about Mark V in 1.8. I sbare it. Especially aith 40+ balls. I avree aith your entire comment.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2017 at 8:12am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Depends on the Wal-Mart paddle and whether he loops to be honest. I used to struggle against Wal-Mart paddle players because I didn't know what to do when the ball didn't have spin.

At the very least the player won't get better. Also wbAt was your level when you had that issue?
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2017 at 8:29am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Originally posted by gekogark1212 gekogark1212 wrote:

I think 1700 is pretty high level. It's state level in Australia. 

You are probably thinking 1700 Ratings Central, which seems to be prevalent in AU, and I have a suspicion even RC numbers can't be compared directly between AU and US.

So, 1700 is not that high, slightly above average as far as tournament player, but not a big deal. Trust me, I know, have been there for quite some time Wink

In the Northeast USATT 1700 works out to about RC 1200 +/- .

In Oregon, it looks like USATT 1700 is around RC 1100 +/- .

That speaks more of USATT's system's relative lack of precision; I assume the RC #'s are more viable given enough play with players of known level.

I don't see how you can claim that USATT rating lacks precision based on two data points above, I could easily conclude the opposite (do you have raw data to share, by the way?) - and bolded part explains why: RC tournaments practically do not exist in the US. 

In the Northeast I can only think of MIT Open series , and they did not even bother to submit results in 2016 Cry. Don't know a single other tournament that uses it (and few weekly leagues do not really count). So, if you have half a tournament per year to work with, I have no idea how you can arrive at accurate rating. 

Edited by pgpg - 12/04/2017 at 8:42am
USATT: 1750
BTY Defense Alpha - Rasant Beat - Cloud & Fog OX
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2017 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Depends on the Wal-Mart paddle and whether he loops to be honest. I used to struggle against Wal-Mart paddle players because I didn't know what to do when the ball didn't have spin.

At the very least the player won't get better. Also wbAt was your level when you had that issue?

1700 USATT. I didn't know how to topspin no-spin balls and was mostly a hitter.  When I learned to loop slowly with my wrist, the problem went away,  It's interesting the gaps you can have in your game if you are used to playing only certain kinds of players.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Tibhar Inca
FH: MX-S 1.9 B
BH: MX-S 1.9 R
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2017 at 1:57pm

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

1700 USATT. I didn't know how to topspin no-spin balls and was mostly a hitter.  When I learned to loop slowly with my wrist, the problem went away,  It's interesting the gaps you can have in your game if you are used to playing only certain kinds of players.

Not to mention the gaps the emerge in your came without you knowing it when there are types of players you have not seen in a long time.  The difference is that when you reach a higher level you can adjust much more quickly.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2017 at 7:06pm

Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Originally posted by gekogark1212 gekogark1212 wrote:

I think 1700 is pretty high level. It's state level in Australia. 

You are probably thinking 1700 Ratings Central, which seems to be prevalent in AU, and I have a suspicion even RC numbers can't be compared directly between AU and US.

So, 1700 is not that high, slightly above average as far as tournament player, but not a big deal. Trust me, I know, have been there for quite some time Wink

In the Northeast USATT 1700 works out to about RC 1200 +/- .

In Oregon, it looks like USATT 1700 is around RC 1100 +/- .

That speaks more of USATT's system's relative lack of precision; I assume the RC #'s are more viable given enough play with players of known level.

I don't see how you can claim that USATT rating lacks precision based on two data points above, I could easily conclude the opposite (do you have raw data to share, by the way?) - and bolded part explains why: RC tournaments practically do not exist in the US. 

In the Northeast I can only think of MIT Open series , and they did not even bother to submit results in 2016 Cry. Don't know a single other tournament that uses it (and few weekly leagues do not really count). So, if you have half a tournament per year to work with, I have no idea how you can arrive at accurate rating. 

As far as Northeast tournaments, I remember that New Hampshire Round Robins, and all Maine Tournaments were Ratings Central. The MIT (when the student organizers have their stuff together) are phenomenal tournaments and actually do a great job of feeding information into the RC system.

Granted, I am assuming adult players rather than juniors. Adult players who's actual ability might vary by just a few hundred rating points in a year, if that.

RC uses a standard deviation to measure how confident the rating system is. I think I was wrong about my range in the northeast - it looks like Ratings Central 1300-1400 is where USATT 1500-1900 players seem to fall. So perhaps there is RC variation by region. 

I'd be curious to hear David Marcus' input on this.

US1260.RC952 . Yasaka Gatien Extra : Target National + Rasant
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2017 at 12:55pm
Where Walmart at - lol!!!
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2017 at 1:55pm

Poor old Mark V. Not as bad as you may believe. Max on BH glued x3 still kicks butt. Mark V 1.8 may be good for defensive player or blocker. Still a good choice for beginners or players that want to get more balls back on the table...ribbit.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic