Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

omega iv pro with a softer sponge?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: omega iv pro with a softer sponge?
    Posted: 12/03/2017 at 11:58am
Hey guys,
I have been using Xiom's omega iv pro on my backhand for 5 years now. It has surved me consistently from cell to now poly. I was wondering if anyone has come across a rubber with similar topsheet (IMO its med hard as far as esn scale goes) and a sponge that is perhaps 2 degrees softer?
From my understanding ( might be wrong) Omega IV pro has a 47.5 deg sponge. at around 45.5 ( i think it would be close to t64 sponge? )

is t64 really the rubber to switch to?, or is it t80 for better all around rubber?

the reason for the ask for a rubber with a softer sponge is that I switched to the Donic Ovtcharov true carbon and imo its a little too fast of a blade at 88 grams. Should I go the viscaria route and keep my rubbers as is( i switch sheets about twice a year)  ?

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Sponsored Links

rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2017 at 12:46pm
Baracuda big slam, it's light and spinny
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2017 at 1:07pm
Omega IV Europe seems like the easiest solution
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2017 at 2:14pm
I would also mention the Omega IV Euro. It is very close to T64
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2017 at 2:47pm
Yeah i agree also with Omega IV Euro. I also liked T80 and T05 as backhand rubbers.
Xiom Omega IV Euro | Freitas ALC | Xiom Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2017 at 5:45pm
thanks for the response.

but heres the thing. I have been led to believe that the Omega iv euro topsheet is softer than omega iv pro. Is this truly the case? I know that the sponge is def 2-3 degrees softer .

and the original barracuda is around 45 degree right ? and big slam is around 42.5 ? which would be too soft for me.  Trying to stick around 45 degree sponge.

ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2017 at 9:40pm
What about Vega Japan?  It's 45 degree sponge, with a spinny topsheet.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 10:48am
unfortunately i ddint like vega japan at all because the topsheet felt much softer than oivpro
the sponge looks to be that of a perfect hardness but not the topsheet

for a similar reason i didnt like omega v asia on my forehand ( soft topsheet)

anything else out there?
would like to hear the differences between sigma 2 euro vs omega iv or v euro 
or if there is another brand that makes something along the lines of 45 deg sponge with med hard topsheet like that of omega iv pro

rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

thanks for the response.

but heres the thing. I have been led to believe that the Omega iv euro topsheet is softer than omega iv pro. Is this truly the case? I know that the sponge is def 2-3 degrees softer .

and the original barracuda is around 45 degree right ? and big slam is around 42.5 ? which would be too soft for me.  Trying to stick around 45 degree sponge.

You are right that big slam is probably around 43, the original baracuda is 47 degrees, another really cool rubber i like is nittaku fastarc-g1, its probably the best rubber after tenergy.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 1:19pm
O4E.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

O4E.

I believe Omega 4 elite is 40 deg and euro is 42.5: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=24689
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 2:53pm
Donic Bluefire M2 or JP 02?  I'm not sure how the topsheet compares to what you are currently using, but the sponge is 45 degrees.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

the reason for the ask for a rubber with a softer sponge is that I switched to the Donic Ovtcharov true carbon and imo its a little too fast of a blade at 88 grams. Should I go the viscaria route and keep my rubbers as is( i switch sheets about twice a year)  ?

So, re-reading your initial post: are you mainly looking for a slower rubber, or are you looking specifically for a sponge that engages more easily with a similar topsheet?  

I'm asking because if you care most about slightly slower, Vega Pro might be the ticket.  Some consider it a bit faster in the short came (IMO nothing unmanageable, it's a very controllable rubber), but slower on more active shots.  

Edited by ohwell - 12/06/2017 at 3:07pm
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 5:20pm
a sponge that engages slightly easier with a similar topsheet. 

thank you for this url
http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=24689

looks like omega iv euro is along the lines of 42.5 , and sigma 2 euro is 45 , im guess sIIeuro is the way to go.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic