Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weight of Spectol vs Spectol 21?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight of Spectol vs Spectol 21?
    Posted: 12/04/2017 at 3:31am
Think I may have gotten my 2 sheets mixed up... both in 1.7-1.9! 

Does anyone know which is heavier? From what I think is right, the spectol 21 is coming in at 39 grams and the regular spectol at 48 grams, both uncut. 

And on an unrelated note, the spinpips 21 comes in at 60 grams! 
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2017 at 10:31pm
Spectol 21 is softer and lighter. 9 grams is a lot but it's believable.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2017 at 4:15am
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Spectol 21 is softer and lighter. 9 grams is a lot but it's believable.

That's what I was thinking! They advertise the spectol 21 at 30 degree hardness and the original at 35. 

But, I have to wonder... how on earth is the spinpips 21 weighing in at 60 grams!? I've used the spinpips chop 2, and those weigh around 39 uncut. 

I mean, what exactly are they calling "21" if the sponges from spectol 21 to spinpips 21 are so vastly different? 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 2:30pm
I've never used spinpips. I'm also done using any short pips but that's a different story.

A lot of the time, a company will name a product a certain way for marketing purposes. Even if a product is vastly different.

Take a look at the Xiom Vega rubber series. By now they have many different rubbers labeled as Vega but tend to be quite different. Vega Pro and Vega China don't feel or play anything like each other for example.

I suspect something similar from TSP. The downside is that, as a consumer, you need to be vigilant enough to try to find out what those difference are before buying.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

I've never used spinpips. I'm also done using any short pips but that's a different story.

A lot of the time, a company will name a product a certain way for marketing purposes. Even if a product is vastly different.

Take a look at the Xiom Vega rubber series. By now they have many different rubbers labeled as Vega but tend to be quite different. Vega Pro and Vega China don't feel or play anything like each other for example.

I suspect something similar from TSP. The downside is that, as a consumer, you need to be vigilant enough to try to find out what those difference are before buying.

were you disapointed by some pips company?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

were you disapointed by some pips company?

No, but I have become disillusioned with playing an offensive game with short pips. There might be some room for playing with them defensively to cover the whole spin variation thing when chopping.

But when it comes to attacking with short pips, I feel there are more than enough low throw angle inverted rubbers that do just as good a job at blocking, hitting, and punching without sacrificing offense away from the table. To me, it feels like anyone using short pips to play an offensive game with the new plastic ball is limiting their offensive potential because of the noticeable weakness away from the table at mid distance or longer.

Believe me, there are people who are of a MUCH higher level than me playing with short pips, some who I know personally and as much as I can understand that they may prefer the feel or the control close to the table, I still think they could be playing at an even higher level if they were using inverted rubber.

But again, this is my personal opinion on short pips. I highly encourage anyone who prefers using anything that makes them play more comfortably to continue doing so if that's what you want.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2017 at 3:13pm
Doh!

Just as an update, and one of the reasons I've always liked TSP... I noticed on another sheet of 21 sponge, that there was a little "21" written on the back of the sponge, located inside the racket icon. It must have just been very faded away on the first sheet I was looking at, or I kept glancing over it and never noticed. 

So, they are marked! Still, there's no way the spinpips 21 and spectol 21 sponge are anywhere close to being the same... 
ludo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ludo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2018 at 7:37pm
About weight..... 
Cut for the same headsize (159x152):
 . Spectol (1.8mm) is 32g
 . Spectol 21 (1.8mm) is 28g

Edited by ludo - 10/10/2018 at 4:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic