tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Truls Moregard grip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
insulatus View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insulatus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Truls Moregard grip
    Posted: 12/06/2017 at 10:50am
I was watching the Junior World Championship and I noticed Moregard has a really strange grip. Does anyone have any info on that(grip name, players with similar grip, specific finger placement etc.)?
THanks in advance!
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 11:24am
A shallow, loose, and backhand-oriented grip, especially suited to his backhand punch block where wrist flexibility is maximized.

Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 11:39am
Stellan Bengston and Jorgen Persson often had similar grips, that his forehand is his stronger side despite this grip tells you sonething.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Tibhar Inca
FH: MX-S 1.9 B
BH: MX-S 1.9 R
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 11:51am
Was just about to write what NL wrote.
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 12:12pm
I tried to play like this, bh punch blocks were awesome. Fh drives and topspins were so spinny. But I was struggling in short game. Plus İ wasnt consistance. Having a free wrist is great but getting rhe control of the ball is hard. Truls is amazingly talented and training hard. So that grip fits Jim well.
Nittaku Ludeack ST

BTF T05 FX

BTF T05 FX

smackman View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 3:45pm
 Would a coach normally try and fix his grip?
He is pure talent etc, 
Im just thinking out loud, with him receiving advice from different coaches saying he isn't holding the bat right
Ulmo Duality,tibhar 5Q sound black, Dtechs grass ox red
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 7:46pm
Insulatus, nice observationThumbs Up. In fact, a key observation. 
Not always the established is the best... this here seems to be a progressive change of the grip. 
I wonder if Miu would like to try imitate this... if she were allowed, that is.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 7:59pm
Fang Bo does the same thing at least on his BH side.

I was actually taught to play like this (in Sweden).  I don't do it anymore.  It does favor my FH a lot.

As for Truls, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

================
Agree with that.
I believe if Truls changes his grip, he will do much worse.
skip3119
smackman View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

================
Agree with that.
I believe if Truls changes his grip, he will do much worse.
I have a student (6 years old) holding the bat like that who's grandmother is always telling the girl to hold the bat in shake hand position and the kid shrugs her off with a growl
the kid plays well and can spin it up either side
so I will not try and correct her
Ulmo Duality,tibhar 5Q sound black, Dtechs grass ox red
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 11:18pm
Off topic.  (But it is about "change".)
Not about change of "grip", but about change of equipment.

A 70+ years old woman in our club.  She uses a 10-15 years old paddle - short pips on FH and long pips on her BH.  She always (habitually) takes up the ball early, right off the bounce and hit or block the ball to different sides of the table. When the ball goes to her FH, she attacks, if comes to her BH, she blocks.

She can make her opponents run like crazy - because she takes up the ball very early, doesn't give opponent much time to prepare.  Her league rating was around 1550. Stayed near that rating for a long time.

One day she talked to a club coach (about 1800 level).  The coach doesn't like pips, and asked her to use inverted on both sides. She bought the blade and 2 rubbers from the coach and started taking lessons. An hour a week, $30 an hour.

After 2 months of lessons, her weekly league rating gradually dropped to slightly over 1300 (she used her new setup playing the league - new blade and 2 new inverted rubbers). She stopped taking lessons, took out her old paddle (short pips on FH, LP on BH.)  A few weeks later her league rating returned to above 1500.

I don't know what that coach thinks - want to make the 70+ years old woman a champion of some kind?  She has played pips all her life.  Even at that age, she still can beat 45% of the much younger club members.  She should just enjoy the games and getting some exercise to keep good health.

There are times, "change" is good.  But there are times, "change" is bad.

Edited by skip3119 - 12/06/2017 at 11:35pm
skip3119
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2017 at 12:11am
The key to this grip is the index finger is on the wing so you still get good sensory feedback. It puts the blade in an ideal losition for FH. On BH you have to bend your wrist in a slightly weird way but it is not all that unnatural.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2017 at 2:00am
ML has a backhand-oriented grip as well, yet his forehand is his stronger side should tell you otherwise. Captain obvious?

@00:36,
Quote 我的球板握法是[这样]
This is how I hold my racket

一般正手是这样
A typical forehand is like this

反手可能会偏过来一点
Backhand is perhaps a bit biased

因为相对来说我是可能
because, relatively speaking, I'm perhaps

握板偏反手一点
gripping a bit backhand-oriented

所以
So

虎口可能要
perhaps the tiger's mouth needs

过一些球板
to cross the racket more

如果偏正手的話
For forehand-oriented

可能这样的握板会多一点
perhaps the grip would be more like this

虎口比较正
more in line with the tiger's mouth

I used to play with a similar shallow and backhand-oriented grip, albeit much less extreme as Moregard, before I developed a strong backhand loop. My forehand was my much stronger side. The grip allowed me to punch block better at the expense of stability. But as I started developing a more balanced game, my grip slowly changed to a more neutral grip.

Edited by zeio - 12/07/2017 at 3:25am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2017 at 1:11pm
Moregard Truls.
His ranking moved from #295 to #166. (December, 2017 ranking.)
skip3119
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2017 at 4:43am
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

He is pure talent etc, 
Im just thinking out loud, with him receiving advice from different coaches saying he isn't holding the bat right

I think a coach could try in the early stages of development to try and get a neutral grip learned, they will develop it themselvesafter that anyway. Especially grips like these shouldnt be altered to much, since they are able to execute every shot with it.
Blade: TB ZLF
FH: Tenergy05 2.1
BH: Tenergy64 1.7
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2017 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Thomasson Thomasson wrote:

Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

He is pure talent etc, 

I think a coach could try in the early stages of development to try and get a neutral grip learned, they will develop it themselvesafter that anyway. Especially grips like these shouldnt be altered to much, since they are able to execute every shot with it.

Yes, in most places.  However, given that two different Men's singles world champions from Sweden have used this grip (the finger wrapped around the wing), it is certainly true that you can execute every shot with it, and that is one place for sure where this grip would not be "corrected".  (As I said, my first coach, in Sweden, taught me to the hold the blade like that).  If you look at the picture of Truls' forehand, you can see that he is only slightly towards the BH side when he loops with his FH, so he probably moves his grip some from stroke to stroke (perhaps similar to ZJK).  That grip switching is similar to a lot of players who happen to keep their index finger on the face of the blade instead of wrapped around the wing (e.g. Dima).  The version I was taught was more neutral towards FH dominant.  And this is where Truls is different from Persson or Bengtsson, since their grips werepretty much neutral.

By the way, another person who does this on his BH (wrapping finger around wing) is Karakasivic.

Every once in awhile I still find myself reverting to this, but for me I am a lot more relaxed on my BH with a more conventional grip and I don't need it for my FH.  Still what for me are very very very old habits die hard. I wouldn't ever coach someone out of this because I know it can work very well.
Bilbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2017 at 5:10pm
Canadian National Team Member Antoine Bernadette also use a similar grip after he trained in Sweden for a year.
Stiga Optimum Sync
FH: Victas VO>102 2.0
BH: der Materialspezialist Breakout 2.0
Lefty
jfolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2017 at 9:21pm
I am not sure I understand when people start comparing Truls Moregard's grip to Stellan or Perrson.

Here is a picture of Stellan:

I see a high grip, blade directly contacting the V between thumb and index finger, not shifted towards either FH or BH. The only thing slightly odd about it is the tip of the index finger wraps around the edge of the blade.

Here is Perrson:

This is a lower grip, significant space between the blade and the V, what we call a loose grip. Again, a neutral grip, even though there is space it's not shifted towards either BH or FH. There is an even more pronounced wrapping of the index finger tip.

And Truls Moregard:

Much lower, even greater space between the V and the blade, a huge shift towards a backhand grip, the grip is so low on the handle that the thumb is going almost straight up the blade, compare that to Perrson where the thumb is going across still. And if there is any wrapping of the index finger it didn't come across in this picture.

Edited by jfolsen - 12/13/2017 at 9:23pm
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 2:51am
Persson's instructional video where he talks about his grip:

https://youtu.be/AIrQWHJeFfw?t=229

In 1970s, Bengtsson had a rather shallow and neutral, perhaps slightly forehand-oriented grip, and it seems he switched his grip in the point.

https://youtu.be/KbiKCSgZUR0?t=123
https://youtu.be/KbiKCSgZUR0?t=168

https://youtu.be/bSvxzphFhkA
https://youtu.be/aDgKPVKX9O8?t=105

Edited by zeio - 12/14/2017 at 3:03am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 6:07am

Edited by pingpungpeng - 12/14/2017 at 3:37pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 8:30am
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

I am not sure I understand when people start comparing Truls Moregard's grip to Stellan or Perrson.

Here is a picture of Stellan:

I see a high grip, blade directly contacting the V between thumb and index finger, not shifted towards either FH or BH. The only thing slightly odd about it is the tip of the index finger wraps around the edge of the blade.

Here is Perrson:

This is a lower grip, significant space between the blade and the V, what we call a loose grip. Again, a neutral grip, even though there is space it's not shifted towards either BH or FH. There is an even more pronounced wrapping of the index finger tip.

And Truls Moregard:

Much lower, even greater space between the V and the blade, a huge shift towards a backhand grip, the grip is so low on the handle that the thumb is going almost straight up the blade, compare that to Perrson where the thumb is going across still. And if there is any wrapping of the index finger it didn't come across in this picture.

People's grips do shift during play and you picked one of 4 pictures.   It may not be exactly like Persson's all the time but the point is that there are high level players playing with similarly conceived grips.
Tibhar Inca
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 8:58am
The Persson/Bengtsson grip allows for more flexibility at the wrist and also the index finger can be used as a trigger finger to increase racket velocity at impact. Ilija (Lupi) Lupulesku uses a similar grip. Karakašević uses a similar grip. The issue is loss of support from that finger from behind the racket.

Motegardh seems to be more extreme. Lots of flexibility but less support, especially in the BH. I wonder if he will end up modifying his grip. Waldner user to change his grip all the time for different shots.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 3:07pm
 I hate over analysis of grip, it is the starting point from which a players style grows, and virtually every variation has produced true world class players. I also am not keen on labels, The, 'Perrson' grip, the Who ever grip , I personally use the 'Wiggy'  grip, guess why? Its mine. 
Unless a players grip is so really detrimental to playing sound technique, leave it alone ! 
 If you alter, even slightly, a players grip, it will have massive consequences on his/her game.
The Older I get, The better I was.
jfolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 3:59pm
Yes, "weird" grips can be effective. At one point, 4 of the 5 players on the USA Worlds team played with some variation of the Seemiller grip. And we were in Division One at the Worlds, I think the men are now Division Three.

Classic example: Nobuhiko Hasegawa, 1967 World Champion:
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

I hate over analysis of grip, it is the starting point from which a players style grows, and virtually every variation has produced true world class players. I also am not keen on labels, The, 'Perrson' grip, the Who ever grip , I personally use the 'Wiggy'  grip, guess why? Its mine. 
Unless a players grip is so really detrimental to playing sound technique, leave it alone ! 
 If you alter, even slightly, a players grip, it will have massive consequences on his/her game.

Sometimes positive consequences :D.
Tibhar Inca
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Sometimes positive consequences :D.
 Yes Indeed.
The Older I get, The better I was.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic