Topic ClosedTop10 arylatecarbon blade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

Have you ever considered that maybe it's just you? I think that is what everyone is subtly, or, not so subtly, trying to get at. 

Any forum member is free to consider this possibility and purchase blindly online as I did. I freely admit it was a mistake. I'm glad it wasn't a bigger mistake.

Edited by richrf - 12/14/2017 at 4:31pm
Sponsored Links

bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 4:36pm
You made a purchase and didn't like it. That's fine. It's when you start trying to take your personal preferences and make strongly worded generalizations that disagree with a lot of evidence, that has brought on some of the condescending remarks.

Also, if you seriously return 70% of your purchases on Amazon, that would again point to a you issue.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 4:42pm

You made a purchase and didn't like it. That's fine. It's when you start trying to take your personal preferences and make strongly worded generalizations that disagree with a lot of evidence, that has brought on some of the condescending remarks.

Also, if you seriously return 70% of your purchases on Amazon, that would again point to a you issue.

Somehow, for some reason, personal preferences don't matter when the review is a rave one.

There is zero evidence of any kind regarding the blade or rubber I purchased. It is in my closet.

As for the stuff on Amazon, I'm definitely not alone, and Amazon knows how to insulate themselves. Online sales are based upon customers not returning junk. It is a different business model one that brick-and-mortar cannot adopt. But then again, forum members can choose to follow your advice and remember where it t came from.

Edited by richrf - 12/14/2017 at 4:44pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

Somehow, for some reason, personal preferences don't matter when the review is a rave one.

There is zero evidence of any kind regarding the blade or rubber I purchased. It is in my closet.

As for the stuff on Amazon, I'm definitely not alone, and Amazon knows how to insulate themselves. Online sales are based upon customers not returning junk. It is a different business model one that brick-and-mortar cannot adopt. But then again, forum members can choose to follow your advice and remember where it t came from.

It is about the general consensus, as it can sometimes be a guide for someone to begin to understand something. And still, the general consensus won't always apply to every single person. This is a logic concept, not so much an equipment buying concept. Just say that you didn't like the blade and it didn't work for you, don't call it crap when it and it's similar variants obviously work well for over half of the advanced tt-playing population.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 5:16pm

It is about the general consensus, as it can sometimes be a guide for someone to begin to understand something. And still, the general consensus won't always apply to every single person. This is a logic concept, not so much an equipment buying concept. Just say that you didn't like the blade and it didn't work for you, don't call it crap when it and it's similar variants obviously work well for over half of the advanced tt-playing population.

I have no idea where advanced players get their equipment, but judging from my experiences, it is not the same as the average Joe. As I said earlier, the only (I repeat only) good equipment I ever bought was through my high rated coaches in Chicago. I also bought one solid rubber online. The rest ended up in the trash heap.

Lesson learned.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 5:22pm

I have no idea where advanced players get their equipment, but judging from my experiences, it is not the same as the average Joe. As I said earlier, the only (I repeat only) good equipment I ever bought was through my high rated coaches in Chicago. I also bought one solid rubber online. The rest ended up in the trash heap.

Lesson learned.

This has been discussed already. Plenty of top players get their equipment from the same retailers/NA based distributors as the rest of us. Do you even know that the blades the coach sold you weren't just grabbed out of the Killerspin warehouse? All this means is that you've gotten so used to your one combination that you anything else feels like an unwelcome change, or you haven't given ample time/don't have the adaptability to new combinations.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 5:34pm
The terms you are using to describe blades like the Viscaria -- trash, a toy, etc. -- wil pretty much ensure that not many people will pay much attention to what you say in tbe future about blades or TT equipment in general. Condecending? Perhaps but nevertheless true, albeit no skin off my back. People like what they like but some things are so far out of the mainstream thst they kind stand out. As for returning 70% of what you buy on Amazon? If I did that, which I don't, I wouldn't admit to it.

Nature apparently abhores a vacuum.
ohwell View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 8:39pm

And I really, really, really dislike the condescending attitude I'm being shown. Grow up everyone. This is the real world of online shopping. 70% or more of the stuff I buy off Amazon, I return, especially electronics. And guess what? They all receive "rave reviews".

I very highly recommend mirrors.

Edited by ohwell - 12/14/2017 at 8:45pm
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 9:46pm

This has been discussed already. Plenty of top players get their equipment from the same retailers/NA based distributors as the rest of us. Do you even know that the blades the coach sold you weren't just grabbed out of the Killerspin warehouse? All this means is that you've gotten so used to your one combination that you anything else feels like an unwelcome change, or you haven't given ample time/don't have the adaptability to new combinations.

Anyone who believes top players do not get preferential treatment is free to believe so. In my opinion it is quite ridiculous.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

The terms you are using to describe blades like the Viscaria -- trash, a toy, etc. -- wil pretty much ensure that not many people will pay much attention to what you say in tbe future about blades or TT equipment in general. Condecending? Perhaps but nevertheless true, albeit no skin off my back. People like what they like but some things are so far out of the mainstream thst they kind stand out. As for returning 70% of what you buy on Amazon? If I did that, which I don't, I wouldn't admit to it.

Nature apparently abhores a vacuum.

I don't care whether it not people listen to what I say, as long as they at least quote me correctly. My reference to Viscaria was concerning the ridiculous comparisons (strangely repeated so often) of the toyish True Carbon to Viscaria. Incomprehensible.

I gladly admit to my miserable online experiences and have no problems informing people of the rubbish sold online from batteries, to speakers, to TVs. It's no secret. Amazon shields itself and offers free postage paid returns to keep customers. What's more, in at least one instance, the merchandise I bought on Amazon was a fake.I only buy from Amazon because of their return policies, the only exception being this racket purchase which will be my last from an online dealer.

Unfortunately, because advertisers rule all media, the only organization I really trust for unbiased reviews is Consumer Reports.

Edited by richrf - 12/14/2017 at 10:12pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 11:58pm

Anyone who believes top players do not get preferential treatment is free to believe so. In my opinion it is quite ridiculous.

I'm not sure if you have poor reading comprehension or just like to argue for argument's sake. I said plenty of top players don't get or utilize the preferential treatment even if they could. Plenty of top players do not. Not all. The implication being that it is a stupid statement to say that retailers sell nothing but crap batches of equipment, if there are plenty of top players who have no issue with using equipment not from these mystical sources you imagine to exist everywhere. Do you understand now? 

And an answer to the question about your Killerspin blade?

Edited by bard romance - 12/15/2017 at 12:00am
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 12:16am

I'm not sure if you have poor reading comprehension or just like to argue for argument's sake. I said plenty of top players don't get or utilize the preferential treatment even if they could. Plenty of top players do not. Not all. Do you understand now? 

And an answer to the question about your Killerspin blade?

Sure I understand you. Don't believe it for a second. Top tier players all develop reliable channels.

I play with all kinds of blades all the time, even no-name, super-cheapos at the local University. Adapting to new blades is usually easy and even fun for me. This particular True Carbon blade is so bad, I feel it is unplayable. It is downright annoying. I prefer the super-cheapos at the University, which is what I use when I visit. No one has ever seen me play with this racket and no one ever will. It is astonishing to me that anyone is recommending it much less comparing it to a Butterfly Viscaria.

In comparison, I had a second Diamond CQ which a knowledgeable player in my club who had access to all kinds of equipment, asked me to sell to him he liked it so much which I did (I now regret it). It was made eight years ago and is of entirely different character then this new stuff being sold through online channels. I'll go to some tournaments and maybe be lucky and find something worth purchasing. Online is out of the question unless I find a reliable channel through a friend.

Edited by richrf - 12/15/2017 at 12:19am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 12:29am

Good job rich. You got me. I'm lying about all the top players I have been close with over the years who are/were sponsored by many different companies. All of them go into some secret chamber and come back with their special blades. You clearly know every single top tier player in the world (which you've developed from playing at the local university and community centers) and where they get their equipment from, allowing you to make yet another super-accurate all-encompassing claim.

Edited by bard romance - 12/15/2017 at 12:44am
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 12:43am

Good job rich. You got me. I'm lying about all the top players I have been close with over the years who are/were sponsored by many different companies. All of them go into some secret chamber and come back with their special blades. You clearly know every single top tier player in the world and where they get their equipment from, allowing you to make yet another super-accurate all-encompassing claim.

A pretty imaginative rewrite of my single sentence. Anyway, in your own way you pretty much substantiated what I wrote.

Edited by richrf - 12/15/2017 at 12:43am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 12:47am
Not imaginative. You said "top tier players all develop reliable channels". I am asserting that is not true when it comes to every top player and how they procure equipment. Perhaps you can provide some further details about the basis of your information of top players and where they get their equipment? YouTube comment section? Internet forums? I would imagine that you must be very close to a good number of top players to come to this conclusion, so I'd love to hear more details.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 12:55am
On a side note, it is pretty comedic that the one guy who parades around as insusceptible to marketing BS swears by a Killerspin blade, a brand that had a short-lived stint of being relevant due to an excess of marketing/hype and a lack of quality products. Maybe, just maybe marketing and perceived quality aren't mutually exclusive.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 12:59am

I have no idea where advanced players get their equipment

Sure I understand you. Don't believe it for a second. Top tier players all develop reliable channels.

LOL
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 1:51am
This is amazing.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 2:12am
Next up, I want to know what richrf thinks of Chemtrails and their impact on pingpong players
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 5:08am

If there is a great ALC blade, I've yet to find one. All of the ones I've tried out, including my own rather flimsey, Donic True Carbon, lack character and robustness. Rather toyish in nature. However it could very well be that the top l0 simply overlap with the bottom 10. 😃

Just a different point if view.

Just a reminder of your first post on this thread. "Toyish" was the word.   Also "all of the ones". Maybe that just means the one True Carbon you bought?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 5:22am

I've played with several that I rejected outright. This particular Donic blade got a really positive review from TT11's reviewer so I went with it. 😃

I've been playing for decades, and I know crap blades when I see one. My guess is that there is a HUGE difference between reviewed blades and pro blades and the ones that are released through retail channels. But this technique is not limited to table tennis. I recently went through the same experience buying audio equipment. Great reviews for what amounts to commerical junk. I really regret letting go of my terrific BIC speakers of ole. Now that brick and mortar retail shops have been pushed out of business, online shopping is the only way to go and it is risky and expensive especially since manufacturers know how to manipulate the market.

I apologize for disrupting the purpose of this marketing video. 😃

And this one. After all why quote? This is what was written. Crap blades. I did misquote you. I said you wrote "trash". Actually you wrote "crap". My mistake.

Of course it could be that this was all based on the one DTC? No, he has rejected several.

Anyway. There is a reason that ALC and related blades are popular. And it's not because some of us have secret channels.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

And this one. After all why quote? This is what was written. Crap blades. I did misquote you. I said you wrote "trash". Actually you wrote "crap". My mistake.

Of course it could be that this was all based on the one DTC? No, he has rejected several.

Anyway. There is a reason that ALC and related blades are popular. And it's not because some of us have secret channels.

I said my DTC was crap and it is worse than that. I said most of the new stuff I've tried out that was purchased online was crap and it was. I said that the absolutely best equipment I ever bought was purchased by my high level coaches via their channels, and it was.

I believe every review of any piece of equipment should name the channel and whether it was bought blind, furnished or purchased via a known reliable source. There is lots of junk out there that is riding the coattails of good product. There is no correlation between a well made blade, and the junk that I purchased. It is not anywhere close. Is it inconceivable that manufacturers and retailers are performing bait-and-switches? Of course not. It happens to me all the time on Amazon. A few good reviews and then plunk, the crap is pushed into the pipeline. This is why I always read the most recent reviews on Amazon and not "the highest rated" which is the default on Amazon reviews. Reviews can be and are manipulated. Everyone knows this.

Edited by richrf - 12/15/2017 at 9:00am
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 9:01am
One big lesson I learned was never give a bad review if I want to maintain credibility. 😃
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 9:57am

Edited by bard romance - 12/15/2017 at 10:19am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 10:17am
I think it is time to move on.

Thread locked.

Thanks to the OP cor the video.