FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Estimation of USATT Ranking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
infernowasif34 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infernowasif34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Estimation of USATT Ranking
    Posted: 12/10/2017 at 2:36am

https://youtu.be/yP3LlxapNxI
Hey guys,
So I'm a long pips player (black tshirt) who is aspiring to have a style like Ruwen Filus. This is a match from a recent Inter-School Tournament which I ended up winning somehow. My opponent had a deadly forehand loop but didn't really attack with his backhand, so I ended up beating him with smashes and slow loops without much use of the pips. Would appreciate if someone could give an estimation of my USATT ranking and also point out any fundamental flaws (if any). I will work on power looping on my forehand, especially after slow looping once as it's very easy to counterloop on slow loops. I believe this match is an accurate representation of my ability in everything except counterlooping and chopping (I did them in the semi final but forgot to record it). Thanks in advance!

P.S Red rubber is Tsp p1r 1mm and black rubber is Tenergy 05.

Edited by infernowasif34 - 12/14/2017 at 8:52pm
Sponsored Links

rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2017 at 2:55am
1800 - 1900 assuming you are the guy in the blue shirt!

Edited by rocketman222 - 12/10/2017 at 2:55am
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2017 at 5:02am
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

1800 - 1900 assuming you are the guy in the blue shirt!
Shocked

I didn't watch too much of the video (and I don't really understand USATT ratings since it seems to be impossible to even get an estimation of how they translate to ratings central) but surely your estimation must be just a bit generous here?
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2017 at 7:02am
Rocketman,

Where you play at, neither player would get or hold a 1700 rating if they did 3 tourneys. Both are around same basic level. They MIGHT make an 1800 rating in a weaker zone of USA, but debatable.

Light blue shirt player - serve and receive is very weak. Serves are sloppy, high, not varied, predictable long, easy to attack, do NOT assist with an attacking strategy. Receive is also sloppy, easy to open against, almost like player is inviting opponent to attack and hope they miss.

Dark blue shirt (Adidas) - very weak serve and receive.  Serve not too varied, because amount of spin is not much. Same block and hope tactics on receive, but what the heck, they work sometimes at this level. Fallback on rallying if needed. Overall a little better plan, but not by much. Serves - look at vid, nearly every time, dark blue shirt player dips hand with ball BELOW the table after presenting the ball. Any certified umpire would call a fault. Clear cut easy to spot. Also easy to fix.

Both players seem to give easy balls to opponent to attack and get into a flashy rally or power or high spin rally. Maybe both players are strong there. Neither player seems to be able to open vs heavier underspin much, only light.

I would win vs either of these players 11-5 (and I am in the same rating band rocket estimated and live in the same zone as rocket) just by keeping serve return low with some spin and keep serves short, low and spinny first, then vary it. I would push long and deep often to invite them to attack and miss, neither player shows much patience. If they wisen up and do not take the bait on long pushes, I would push one dead suddenly and attack next ball. I would open with real heavy topspin, neither player is generating a lot of toppsin.

At this level, many points are won ugly from mistakes, so the flashy stuff may not be an indicator like at another level, and even then that tells only a part of the story. The better tourney players playing this style know how these points are won and play the percentages.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2017 at 7:09am
BTW, in my area, there is a player from your country here, he just put LP on his BH, his level is around 1750 USATT +/- 50. His serves are a lot more varied and he can make it short when he wants. His landing percentage on attacks better, spin heavier. Stays close to table, punishes mistakes. Just his serve and attack, or his return and if opponent pushes, then he attacks... just that part alone got him most of his level.

The one of whom I speak would win vs either player in the vid 3-1 on average.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2017 at 7:21am
Common now. Isn’t the loose grip the Adidas guy holding worth a couple grands already?
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2017 at 11:39am
I could only watch the 1st game.  Rarely was a point earned.  1500 maybe. 
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2017 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

I could only watch the 1st game.  Rarely was a point earned.  1500 maybe. 
================
That's what I feel - about 1500.  Don't think they worth 1800-1900.
skip3119
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2017 at 4:17pm
I would guess 1100 but my rating at guessing USATT ratings is only 702.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2017 at 6:48pm
I think they both move pretty well around the table and try to loop safely, also they did win a lot of points with first attack.

The guy in the light blue shirt has a good loop and he did try counter looping with the right action, so I still think they are around 1800.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2017 at 7:55pm

I think they both move pretty well around the table and try to loop safely, also they did win a lot of points with first attack.

The guy in the light blue shirt has a good loop and he did try counter looping with the right action, so I still think they are around 1800.

I watched the 1st game again and counted the unforced errors.  Out of the 18 points 12 were lost due to unforced errors.  Six points were earned (I'm being real generous with points won)

If they're at the ICC club, they're well under 1500.

Rocketman, you live in the bay area.  Have you played in any sanctioned tournaments lately, if so what is your rating?  My rating is down to 1636 and I can't imagine losing to either player.
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2017 at 9:20pm
Since you mentioned you had long pips on the backhand, and the only non-shiny backhand was the guy in black so I assume that's you.  There's really not much to go on.  If I had to guess, I would say between 1200 and 1300.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2017 at 11:01pm

I watched the 1st game again and counted the unforced errors.  Out of the 18 points 12 were lost due to unforced errors.  Six points were earned (I'm being real generous with points won)

Rocketman, you live in the bay area.  Have you played in any sanctioned tournaments lately, if so what is your rating?  My rating is down to 1636 and I can't imagine losing to either player.

At the ICC club they are less than 200.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2017 at 11:21pm

Mike, I haven't played a tournament in more than a year+, however I think these guys are playing pips, which at 1800 level doesn't look as impressive, and hence they look much lower, even if they are not 1800 CA, they are easily 1600.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2017 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

At the ICC club they are less than 200.

-200 for not wearing butterfly gear at ICC

Edited by rocketman222 - 12/10/2017 at 11:30pm
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2017 at 12:36am
They look a lot better towards the end of the video.

I'd say 1000 would be about right for the cameraman's video taking abilities...

As for the players, I don't know. I was going to guess about 1200 based on the first minute or so of the video, but by the end black shirt was looking much better. So maybe I'd give him up to 1500, and maybe 1400 for the other guy, but I only skipped through the video.

I think I could beat them, but I also don't have a rating, so I guess that doesn't mean much.

P.S. I also don't know what I'm talking about :(
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2017 at 12:56am
I guess 1500-1700, depending on where they live and they style of their opponents at the most recent tournaments. It's really hard to tell because of the pips. The other guy might be really good against another type of player, but who knows? 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2017 at 12:59am
so its official
I've looked at all the estimates above and you are a ..........
1000,1100,1200,1300,1400,u1500,1500,1600,u1700,1700,1800-1900 rated person

not too bad at all

Edited by smackman - 12/11/2017 at 1:00am
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2017 at 1:10am

Based on all the evidence presented, it appears that a proper rating evaluation cannot be made without a reasonable doubt.

The Plastic Man
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2017 at 2:21am
Haha smackman. If you've seen my rating estimates thread too, you'd know that most of these threads can only really be done for fun. Too many factors that can't be determined, especially from just a single game.

The pips definitely make it more of a challenge.

I actually really enjoy these threads. I'm hoping to post another one soon. Hopefully it'll get as much as a discussion going as this one :)
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2017 at 2:25pm
An EJ to a table tennis player is an equipment junkie. An ej to a mathematician is a standard basis vector.
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2017 at 3:02pm
around 1500 to 1600.. Way too many unforced errors to be any better than that..
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infernowasif34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 8:58pm
Haha thanks guys! This is the thing ig. Too many unforced errors while sparks of some high level play here and there. Thiis just shows while we did some training, we still havent developed game maturity and consistency. I'm the black tshirt guy btw. My opponemt plays really well against orthodox two winged loopers and ig the pips three him off. Will try to give another video, but I don't have many similar level players near me so it might take a couple of months.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 10:39pm
Again, not many earned points or long rallies.  1700+ LP players should have some nice rallies with lots of placement shots.  It's hard to rate players by looking at a video because when someone misses an easy shot we say "I would have killed that shot"  when like them we also miss easy shots.

I watched the 2nd game and counted hits, not counting the serve as a hit.  I think the final score was 13-11, if not I may have missed something. 

There were 6 missed return of serves which is okay if there were deceptive serves.  Since from the video it's hard to read tricky serves. 

There were 6 one hit rallies and 4 two hit rallies.  3 three hitters, 2 four hitters one 5 and 6 hit rallies.

As I said, it's almost impossible to get close on a guess, that's why you see such a wide variety of numbers. 

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infernowasif34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2017 at 4:03am
Hey guys,
https://youtu.be/nOWeonlhH5A
Do have another go. This is much closer to my real style and level.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2017 at 8:56am
Looks like 1500 to me. I s
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infernowasif34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2017 at 9:29am
Did you see the recent video? Any constructive criticism and/or praise?
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2017 at 11:28am
Originally posted by infernowasif34 infernowasif34 wrote:

Hey guys,
https://youtu.be/nOWeonlhH5A
Do have another go. This is much closer to my real style and level.
===============
This is your second video.
My estimate of your level in this video is about 1400.
The little girl, who beat you 4-0,  worth about 1600.

Edited by skip3119 - 12/25/2017 at 11:29am
skip3119
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infernowasif34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2017 at 12:02pm
Thanks for the reply. Any constructive criticism?
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2017 at 12:04pm
I think the girl was pretty good.  She missed shots, but also had some nice forehand and backhand strokes.

Still too many long serves.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic