Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Plant Based / Vegan Diet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
flatstyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatstyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 12:20pm
300# NFL player, David Carter, now of the Chicago Bears, eats 10,000 calories a day, all vegan.  This article details the work entailed to keep up that level of bulk!

https://www.gq.com/story/vegan-diet-of-nfl-player-david-carter

For those not inclined to look that deeply, main proteins are beans and rice, nuts, seeds, legumes, etc.
OSP Ultimate C-pen

FH MX-P

BH O5A
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 12:30pm
It is important to mix beans and rice to get all ten of the essential amino acids (those are the ones that can only be obtained through diet, as opposed to your body making them for you from other things like glucose).  That is the kind of thing you need to think about when designing a vegan diet.  There is a lot of info out there these days on that, but neglecting that is sometimes why people who adopt a vegan diet feel a loss of energy -- they are not getting all the nutrients they need.  Spinach is one of the vegan's friends to get iron.  Avocados for certain fats.  
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 12:55pm
Baal, you know your stuff!

Chipotle has a burrito that you can configure with brown rice, a mix of beans, vegetables that melt in the mouth served double since I do not get any meat and free guac since I did not get any meat. It fills me great after ping pong when I can't cook at home to not wake up anybody in the house. $8 well spent! Avocado and spinach? YES! spinach salad at lunch is my favorite. Avocado is a one of mother nature's most valuable gifts :)

I have to be careful with vitamin B12 (nerve damage can occur if we do not take care of that) as said above but there is contradictory info about that.

here are samples from different pages
-200 μg a day or 2000 μg a week
-250 μg a day or 2500 μg a week
-25 to 100 μg a day or 1000 μg twice per week

those 3 examples are from vegan/veggie pages.

Now FDA's RDA is ridiculously small compared to those values. I assume the body will flush what it does not need so I am going for 2500 μg a week in one pill.

Also in addition of lentils, brown rice and beans I eat a lot of tofu, fruits, vegetables so I think I am good but I can't wait to see a market rich in B12 fortified vegan foods. I bet it's right around the corner as there are more and more vegan out there, the number grows exponentially, yay!

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 1:50pm

If you go into a Walmart Super Center grocery department, nuts, rice, and bean products take up about one half of one side of an aisle compared to the very large spaces used for meat related products.

Obviously space allotment is driven by sales.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 12/15/2017 at 1:58pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 4:23pm
Timely.

https://youtu.be/5JGiHUpyv7o
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2017 at 4:43pm

Best Ranked Overall Diets by US News

I like the Mediterranean ranked #2 which was also ranked #1 as the Best Plant-Based Diet

The highest closest to a Vegan is ranked #4 which is mostly vegetarian but not completely, which was also ranked #2 in Best Plant-Based Diets

a Vegetarian was ranked #10

a Vegan was ranked #16 #20 #28 which also was ranked #7 in Best Plant-Based Diets

Link

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 12/15/2017 at 6:59pm
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 10:34am

US News -- Best Plant Based Diets 2017

Vegan Diet was ranked #7

Not a very good ranking for their ideal category !

US News
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 11:33am
If you look at the categories, you'll see that it focuses on things that are not directly healthy. The lower rating is due to people finding the vegan diet hard. Also weight loss doesn't automatically mean healthy, which is another point to consider. Just from the health aspect the vegan diet should be ranked much higher.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

If you look at the categories, you'll see that it focuses on things that are not directly healthy. The lower rating is due to people finding the vegan diet hard. Also weight loss doesn't automatically mean healthy, which is another point to consider. Just from the health aspect the vegan diet should be ranked much higher.

US News used a panel of diet and nutrition experts to get the rankings.

Is the media brainwashing the public like you to think the Vegan Diet is the best ?

US News

Vegan Diet Under Health and Nutrition US News

"the risk of insufficient amounts of key nutrients like calcium, vitamin D, vitamin B-12, zinc and iron is real."

US News

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 12/17/2017 at 12:37pm
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 2:05pm
If you look at the deficiencies that people have in general, then you'd see that people with the "normal" diet have those deficiencies as well.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 2:08pm
Where are those "experts"? I'm not saying they are wrong, but there are no links to those studies. People should question more.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 2:25pm

If you look at the deficiencies that people have in general, then you'd see that people with the "normal" diet have those deficiencies as well.

It appears the experts are saying that the Diets ranked ahead of the Vegan Diet do not have those potential nutritional risk deficiencies.

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 2:34pm

Where are those "experts"? I'm not saying they are wrong, but there are no links to those studies. People should question more.

Here is a list of the 20 Experts with credentials who ranked the Diets.

US News
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 2:53pm
To all: nobody said it’s easy. Plant based diet demands more work. Waiting for (hopefully in a healthy way) mass produced vegan foods to be available, the good stuff has to be found and research needs to be done to make sure the B12 and essential amino acids are not missing. Soon they will be included in all V foods. In the meantime, join a group leaded by knowledgeable people.
Take a look at this: Shama Lee is such a modern hero, she abandoned her old lifestyle to create Sunfedmeats —> chicken free chicken (she’s getting sued by poultry lobbies lol).
Her company runs out of stock right away each time she sends a batch to market.

https://sunfedfoods.com
https://m.facebook.com/sunfedmeats/
http://www.livekindly.co/sunfed-chicken-free/amp/
http://www.livekindly.co/vegan-meat-company-sunfed-global/amp/

That presentation is cool:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dBpxar5vajY
I like when she says “I used to identify as an atheist vegan feminist, or a very angry woman.”

Now she does not talk or yell, she gets to WORK!

Edited by fatt - 12/17/2017 at 3:04pm
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 5:14pm

One of the problems with the Vegan Diet is convenience, being hard to do.

Whether it is a diet, exercise routine, or a new year's resolution, unless it is natural, fun, or extremely motivating, it is hard to sustain over a long period of time.

That is why I like table tennis as an exercise routine, it is fun with good health benefits, so it is a lot easier to do on a continuous basis than say walking or jogging which are very boring without any social interaction.

Regarding Diet, the Mediterranean seems very natural and convenient for me.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 12/17/2017 at 5:20pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 5:24pm
US News likes to rank things. Don't believe their rankings. That is a general statement. It is not about vegan diets.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

US News likes to rank things. Don't believe their rankings. That is a general statement. It is not about vegan diets.

Read their comments for the Pros and Cons of the Diets considered. Do they have expert substance or lack thereof ?

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2017 at 9:26am

Another problem of a Vegan Diet, not all beans, veggies and rice make a complete protein which you need for proper absorbtion. You need to combine them. When eating beans I usually add at least an ounce of meat to make sure I have a complete protein for the meal.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2018 at 10:10pm

Did you know in plant factory farming where they use pesticides, birds lives are being lost ?

Link
Eric Fountain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Fountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2018 at 6:12am
I have been doing strict keto for about 2.5 months. I started at a skinny fat 215, coming from a junk food diet where I felt like garbage all the time, and am currently just under 190, planning on quitting probably around 180. My diet is mostly meat (typically bacon and sausage), with some pecans, leafy vegetables, and a tiny bit of cheese. Just like those posting their improvement from vegetarianism, I too feel much better, have more day to day energy, more this, more that. You likewise could find studies in favor of this, athletes on it, and so on. I also had a full blood panel pretty far into it (about 15 pounds later) and everything came back looking good. I can understand if someone wants to make the ethical argument against animal farming, but purely regarding health it seems ludicrous to me to say that things like meat (whether lean or fatty), cheese, or fats in general are bad for you. Go to a fast food place and your problem is generally not the burger (especially if lettuce wrapped), but who gets only a burger or two? Everyone orders the combo with a good portion of french fries and either a soda or milkshake to go with it. The common thread in our various approaches here, whether keto, vegan or vegetarianism, or other, is that they all cut out (to various degrees) the real enemy -- sugar / processed carbs.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2018 at 2:02pm
surprised to find this thread
anyways, I'm a vegetarian

one thing about plant based diet is environmental
I will just mention water, as right now Cape Town has a record drought.

1KG of steak needs 15000 litres of water
1KG of plant needs 300 litres of water
lots of info on google, here is just a random site I googled just to share the link:
https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jan/10/how-much-water-food-production-waste

President & Head Coach
Tony's Table Tennis
(Shop, Academy, Agency)
Yasaka Sponsored Coach
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2018 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

Another problem of a Vegan Diet, not all beans, veggies and rice make a complete protein which you need for proper absorbtion. You need to combine them. When eating beans I usually add at least an ounce of meat to make sure I have a complete protein for the meal.
a complete protein isn't needed at once. What counts is the amount at the end of the day. No need to mix things. Just eat and they add up.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2018 at 3:18pm

Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

a complete protein isn't needed at once. What counts is the amount at the end of the day. No need to mix things. Just eat and they add up.

That is a recent theory change. If that's completely accurate why do people get gas from beans naturally. Beans are a major source of protein on a vegan diet.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2018 at 5:07pm
Gas? Do you mean farts? If so, then that's because at first the stomach isn't used to it. Once you eat them regularly you don't get them at all. Also are we disagreeing on something? I also think that beans are one of the best sources of protein. Sometimes I just eat a can of beans and nothing else.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2018 at 6:21pm

Gas? Do you mean farts? If so, then that's because at first the stomach isn't used to it. Once you eat them regularly you don't get them at all. Also are we disagreeing on something? I also think that beans are one of the best sources of protein. Sometimes I just eat a can of beans and nothing else.

Some people get stomach gas too

A person should be able to switch back and forth between foods including beans without getting gas. I don't get gas just because I ate a food that I am not used to eating. I notice I get the gas when I don't add some meat with the beans. I like beans.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 01/13/2018 at 6:24pm
MCollins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2018 at 10:06pm
Animal protein kicks the crap out of plant protein when it comes to quality (complementary proteins have already been mentioned), but people get good results with plant-based diets as well.  And people do well on low carb diets, and people do well on low fat diets, and people do well on keto diets, and people even do well on the Atkins diet (which looks like absolute crap on paper).  Fats hit SREBP-1c and PPARgamma, carbs hit those orexigenic and insulin pathways... perhaps the real problem is fats and carbs together.  Not good to have those glycerol backbones floating freely when fatty acids are a dime a dozen, and insulin and fat at the same time means it's sure to be stored.  Back in the day, my best results came from having carb-protein meals early in the day and fat-protein meals in the evening.  I hate to be that guy, but I think looking for the "best" diet is the wrong way to go.  The best diet is the one that works ,even marginally, that you're able to stick with long-term.  

Speaking of gas, anyone use protein shakes?  Those can be rough before your body gets used to it, but then it's no issue.  People who don't drink much milk when young also tend to have issue with it.  Whenever I hear the evolution argument used for what foods we should eat, I cringe a little.  We are literally programmed in the womb for the expected diet forever after (epigenetics) and the ironic thing is that the way us Westerners tend to be programmed is often detrimental.  Well, at least that's what the pigs I worked with showed.  

Edited by MCollins - 01/13/2018 at 10:06pm
My Feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75703&title=feedback-mcollins
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2018 at 2:32am
Disclaimer: going plant-based is a personal journey, I do not judge people eating and buying animal products. It's like inverted rubber: if you don't like it then just don't use it.

I do not lack energy with hummus (my good friend!!! especially when I started and still now), tofu of all sorts, various beans, lentils (I hated them as a kid and they are so good today), nuts etc...
There is so much info out there, like that

I care about me but also about the survival of my kids and...ok let's do it...the human species and many more species out there; why not? it's all about making sure we get as far ahead in time as time goes and be aware of it (at the same time Big smile) so why not vegan if, in addition of giving us more chances to control our environment, it can make us live longer and healthier. http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/vegan-meat-life-expectancy-eggs-dairy-research-a7168036.html

I don't want to hear bullshit like animal proteins will make me live longer; I do not want to hear bullshit like I can't reach full potential and be as strong if I don't eat animal products. Numerous vegan iron men and 100 miles runners proved it's wrong.

So why killing animals then? just for taste? convenience? time savings? There is no question about the fact it destroys home and we don't do much about it other than spending money to build space technology so the planet can maybe be left behind after it goes Venus on us, of course before we can reach the stars. OH #$%^!

To my good buddies the plant's rights activists: better for human beings to eat directly the plant than eating the animal that ate the plant; less pain in the end as only the plant suffers; lots of water saved on the way. It is still cruel to the plant but less cruel than being cruel on both plant and animal; get it? that and the plant does not feel any kind of pain because it does not have a nervous system; until science tells us otherwise; again, as we know better we do better.

I like to think that a plant-based diet means less waste and that's totally in harmony with our game. For any given input, maximize output; don't care about speed, placement, footwork, material,focus...I care about efficiency before all and a game is hopefully the best combo of all those factors with our abilities; food is one of them and zooming on it reveals a very complex world.

Good luck to all of us with our food habits. "We are what we eat and drink" is something I have been thinking about more lately; it goes from essential to joke status depending on how we approach it and I enjoy the topic.

Edited by fatt - 01/14/2018 at 2:32am
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2018 at 2:41am

Vegans what is a good pregame meal during the week to enhance playing TT ?

I eat my share of bean products.
MCollins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2018 at 9:41am
I would say a good pre-game meal would be plant-based, no matter what one typically eats.  
My Feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75703&title=feedback-mcollins
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2018 at 12:09pm
I don't know if anybody else noticed that they don't see the ball clearly after consuming beans.

Must be all that haze...

Edited by Dream1700 - 01/14/2018 at 12:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic