tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Plant Based / Vegan Diet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plant Based / Vegan Diet
    Posted: 12/13/2017 at 7:42pm
Some call it Vegan and some plant based; I think vegan really feel for animals while people calling themselves plant based have a hard time associating themselves with animal rights activism; they want to be efficient and eat plants and grain instead of giving them to an animal releasing methane, wasting eenormous amounts of water and eat them.
I am in between and like in general to feed on the least complex life possible, plant based; if in a side effects sentient animals like a pig or a cow suffer less then I’m happy.
I went up 231lbs and am down 180-185 stable now after 6 months eating plant based; my game got better; also the sleep and that connection with nature; people’s perception of me is better including my wife’s and daughters´; there is no down to it.
There are numerous stories of athletes doing iron man, lifting etc... at a high level and their story is inspiring.
I recommend « what’s the health » and « forks over knives » available on YouTube. From the related links you should get a nice start. [edit 12/16: a member below adds to that "Earthlings" and "Cowspiracy" which are classics]
Of course I wanted to ask how many plant based/vegan people we are on the forum and how it relates to our game.

Edited by fatt - 12/16/2017 at 2:32pm
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2017 at 8:26pm
I'm a vegetarian so I'm not completely vegan as I occasionally use milk with my cereal (switching between milk and soy milk) and I eat cheese and an egg on occasion (like once a week). I didn't stop eating meat because of the "poor animals" or because I wanted to safe the world but simply because I believe that it is healthier. I didn't affect my weight or my game at all since I had a pretty healthy diet before going vegetarian as well. I feel like I generally have more energy.
Dr. Neubauer Magical Touch ST; DHS H3 Neo 2.1, Dr. Neubauer ABS 2.1

My Feedback
Jasonh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2017 at 9:28pm
Would you feel for vegetables? :( 

Some of the top level ultrarunners, like Scott Jurek, are vegan too.
Fly away!
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2017 at 9:43pm
At one time I was completely vegetarian but I came to understand that for my health I needed a bit of animal protein. All in all I find myself in excellent health, especially for my age, only recently seeing a physician for the first time in 35 years and not taking any kinds of drugs. As for my play, I am still able to move around well though definitely like I did in my earlier years.
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2017 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

I'm a vegetarian so I'm not completely vegan as I occasionally use milk with my cereal (switching between milk and soy milk) and I eat cheese and an egg on occasion (like once a week). I didn't stop eating meat because of the "poor animals" or because I wanted to safe the world but simply because I believe that it is healthier. I didn't affect my weight or my game at all since I had a pretty healthy diet before going vegetarian as well. I feel like I generally have more energy.
I can tell you were balanced in the 1st place so you didn’t have anything to fix. My wife and kids are on the same diet as you. People like me cannot eat a piece of cheese or they would dive back into hell diet, like an alcoholic can’t stop after 2 drinks.
Save the world? Maybe you do: I hear all methane released by animals raised for meat contributes as much to global warming as all cars and trucks together.
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2017 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Jasonh Jasonh wrote:

Would you feel for vegetables? :( 

Some of the top level ultrarunners, like Scott Jurek, are vegan too.
it’s the first question people ask to vegan folks to tease them; the answer is as we know better we do better; from science we do dot have evidence that plants have a central nervous system, experience pain, fear, joy, sadness, love etc... we do not have evidence they are self conscious like a cow or a pig. So best is to feed on the least complex life and that’s plants, until we know better.
maurice101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maurice101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2017 at 10:13pm
I eat a plant based diet. Recently I have become interested in gut health and good gut bacteria. I have added some foods that have a lot of good bacteria.  I have found a 5 day 750 calorie fast has a lot of benefits as regards energy levels after the fast plus 3 to 4kgs weight loss. I try to do this 4 to 6 times a year. The last time I did the fast on day 5 I beat a guy that usually beats me.  I had a lower energy level in this game but I seemed to have a faster reaction time. I am over 60. Loosing weight definitely helps my table tennis too.

Edited by maurice101 - 12/13/2017 at 10:17pm
MCollins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2017 at 10:15pm
I'm all for vegetarians/vegans, but I saw that movie "What the Health" and the misinformation was enough to make me yell at the t.v.  

I do find it funny, though, that when people mention being vegetarian or vegan some people always seem to come out swinging like someone not eating animals is somehow harmful to the rest of us.  I doubt we'll see that on a page such as this, but on facebook I see it all the time.  
My Feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75703&title=feedback-mcollins
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2017 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

I can tell you were balanced in the 1st place so you didn’t have anything to fix. My wife and kids are on the same diet as you. People like me cannot eat a piece of cheese or they would dive back into hell diet, like an alcoholic can’t stop after 2 drinks.
Save the world? Maybe you do: I hear all methane released by animals raised for meat contributes as much to global warming as all cars and trucks together.

That methane released by animals was a miscalculation by a major organization, since been retracted. I wonder how they could make such a stupid mistake ?

I eat both meat and plants.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 12/13/2017 at 10:27pm
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2017 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

That methane released by animals was a miscalculation by a major organization, since been retracted.

I would be very gratefully if you provide details; thanks in advance.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2017 at 10:29pm

That methane released by animals was a miscalculation by a major organization, since been retracted.

I would be very gratefully if you provide details; thanks in advance.

Common Sense should tell you that the methane animal release is silly.

Do a Google search research, should be able to find it, I read about it a few years ago.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 12/13/2017 at 10:31pm
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2017 at 10:47pm
Thank you for the directions, I’ll find my way.
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 12:44am
I also eat plant based diet. My sister is vegan and she was telling me the benefits all the time but I was like yeah sis ok than....    but than İ realised when I eat meat at the lunch İ was struggling a bit while riding my bike. And when İ eat plants I was pushing more watts for longer time. That got me thinking and I tried a 2 weeks vegan diet, my sleeping problems gone, my energy level went up and I felt better/lighter. I lost a bit of a weight too. My blood count is great and I'll stick with the plant based diet for a while.
İf you're not gonna be a vegan thats fine but we can all agree that people should eat a Lot less animal products then a classic american diet. Milk and corn syrup consumption is insane...
Xiom Feel AX ST

BTF T80 FX

BTF T80 FX

fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 12:48am
For convenience I searched for a single credible page that presents data and does not blatantly bends on one side. I enjoyed this article: http://blogs.ucdavis.edu/egghead/2016/04/27/livestock-and-climate-change-facts-and-fiction/, notably that paragraph:

"Leading scientists throughout the U.S., as well as the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency have quantified the impacts of livestock production in the U.S., which accounts for 4.2 percent of all GHG emissions, very far from the 18-51 percent range that advocates often cite."

I like this comment that followed:
The 4.2 percent number fails to take into account is all the fossil fuels consumed by the machinery used til, sow and harvest crops grown to feed animals, the transportation of the crops to animal farms, the transportation of animals to slaughterhouses, then to processing plants, etc. These don’t get counted under animal agriculture, instead they are counted under transportation. Similarly, the fossil fuels burned to light, cool, ventilate animal warehouses, and slaughter, process, and refrigerate animal carcasses don’t get counted under animal agriculture; they get counted under electricity generation. Sure, plant-foods have similar expenses but far fewer fossil fuel, land, and water resources are required to provide the same calories in plant-foods than animal foods. Agricultural Soil Management includes, in part, the application of animal wastes as fertilizer but that portion wasn’t counted under GHG emissions due to animal agriculture. (For the record, animal manure is just broken down plant matter with the addition of e.coli, salmonella and a few other pathogens; i.e. fertilizer need not come from animals.)
mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 2:20am
I love eating meat and I binge on it whenever I get a chance, but since living in Japan I've been forced to eat a more economical meal, which is generally a lot more balanced too.

Besides the energy gain many people say they have from a vegan diet, I wonder if there's an equivalent for gaining weight. I'm in dire need of gaining weight hehe. I'm sure most of you have seen my videos.

Maybe this is not appropriate for this thread. Sorry!!
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 2:30am

Air Quality across the USA - major metropolitan areas - daily levels are reported.

Pollution is caused mostly by autos and factories. There is no animal daily production in highly populated areas. The feed lots are in rural america.

Support this project to help clean the air on highways across the USA, while feeding the poor.

Link

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 12/14/2017 at 3:06am
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 3:17am

For convenience I searched for a single credible page that presents data and does not blatantly bends on one side. I enjoyed this article: http://blogs.ucdavis.edu/egghead/2016/04/27/livestock-and-climate-change-facts-and-fiction/, notably that paragraph:

<span style="font-family: "Lucida Grande", "Lucida Sans", Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 14.4px;">"Leading scientists throughout the U.S., as well as the </span>U.S. Environmental Protection Agency<span style="font-family: "Lucida Grande", "Lucida Sans", Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 14.4px;"> have quantified the impacts of livestock production in the U.S., which accounts for </span>4.2 percent of all GHG emissions<span style="font-family: "Lucida Grande", "Lucida Sans", Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 14.4px;">, very far from the 18-51 percent range that advocates often cite."</span>

I like this comment that followed:
<span style="font-family: "Lucida Grande", "Lucida Sans", Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12.96px; : rgb248, 248, 248;">The 4.2 percent number fails to take into account is all the fossil fuels consumed by the machinery used til, sow and harvest crops grown to feed animals, the transportation of the crops to animal farms, the transportation of animals to slaughterhouses, then to processing plants, etc. These don’t get counted under animal agriculture, instead they are counted under transportation. Similarly, the fossil fuels burned to light, cool, ventilate animal warehouses, and slaughter, process, and refrigerate animal carcasses don’t get counted under animal agriculture; they get counted under electricity generation. Sure, plant-foods have similar expenses but far fewer fossil fuel, land, and water resources are required to provide the same calories in plant-foods than animal foods. Agricultural Soil Management includes, in part, the application of animal wastes as fertilizer but that portion wasn’t counted under GHG emissions due to animal agriculture. (For the record, animal manure is just broken down plant matter with the addition of e.coli, salmonella and a few other pathogens; i.e. fertilizer need not come from animals.)</span>

There are more fossil fuels used for plant production than for animals, not to mention all the pesticides and insecticides used for plants. Fresh vegetables, fruits, and other plants are transported daily around the world.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 12/14/2017 at 4:36am
BRS View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 3:28am
Since you brought it up I'll say that factory farming of livestock is evil. I don't care about the GHG or what people want to do for their health. But my parents were small family farmers and I have probably spent a lot more quality time with farm animals than most people on this forum. Treating living things like machines that we built, as if they have no feelings of pain or fear or joy, is straight up evil. Anybody who actually knows about animals from real experience knows that. Whether to care or not is a personal choice everybody gets to make for themselves.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 3:58am
Duplicate deleted

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 12/14/2017 at 4:04am
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 4:03am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Since you brought it up I'll say that factory farming of livestock is evil. I don't care about the GHG or what people want to do for their health. But my parents were small family farmers and I have probably spent a lot more quality time with farm animals than most people on this forum. Treating living things like machines that we built, as if they have no feelings of pain or fear or joy, is straight up evil. Anybody who actually knows about animals from real experience knows that. Whether to care or not is a personal choice everybody gets to make for themselves.

The same can be said for insects and rodent casualties during the factory farming of plants. Shouldn't they be just as important as other living creatures ? They should not be devalued because of size and lifespan.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 12/14/2017 at 4:16am
BRS View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 5:11am

The same can be said for insects and rodent casualties during the factory farming of plants. Shouldn't they be just as important as other living creatures ? They should not be devalued because of size and lifespan.

What a lovely facile argument. Insects and rodents that are killed by plant harvesting are living their lives, outdoors, you might even say as God intended, until they are killed. Non-human aninals seldom die of old age and that's nature. But the mice and bugs you are pretending to care about aren't living there entire lives in a warehouse crammed full of wire cages so small they can't stand up or turn around, or a gestation crate. Animals on small farms like my parents' get killed too, but they don't spend every minute of their lives before the end in an unnatural concrete hell of pain and fear.

I only brought this up because fatt started the thread and people were talking about methane when there is this million pound elephant of horrific, unjustifiable cruelty in the room. Anyone who actually wants to know what factory farming is can check out Mercy for Animals investigations on Youtube, and if you don't care about animals then enjoy your day. I said what I wanted to say, thanks for reading, if you got this far.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 5:47am

What a lovely facile argument. Insects and rodents that are killed by plant harvesting are living their lives, outdoors, you might even say as God intended, until they are killed. Non-human aninals seldom die of old age and that's nature. But the mice and bugs you are pretending to care about aren't living there entire lives in a warehouse crammed full of wire cages so small they can't stand up or turn around, or a gestation crate. Animals on small farms like my parents' get killed too, but they don't spend every minute of their lives before the end in an unnatural concrete hell of pain and fear.

I only brought this up because fatt started the thread and people were talking about methane when there is this million pound elephant of horrific, unjustifiable cruelty in the room. Anyone who actually wants to know what factory farming is can check out Mercy for Animals investigations on Youtube, and if you don't care about animals then enjoy your day. I said what I wanted to say, thanks for reading, if you got this far.

Insects and rodents are being tortured by insecticides and pesticides with their lives cut short by factory farm plant production before, during growth and harvesting so that should be considered cruelty too. Living creatures should not be devalued because of biology classifications or arbitrary personal bias.

We agree to disagree.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 12/14/2017 at 6:32am
BRS View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 8:03am

Insects and rodents are being tortured by insecticides and pesticides with their lives cut short by factory farm plant production before, during growth and harvesting so that should be considered cruelty too. Living creatures should not be devalued because of biology classifications or arbitrary personal bias.

We agree to disagree.

We don't even have to agree to disagree since I also agree with you about this. I draw a contrast between the wild animals you are advocating for and the factory farm animals using the simple empathy test - if I had to live my life as one of these animals and had the choice, what would I choose? I'd rather be a corn borer or a mouse or a honeybee than an egg factory chicken getting de-beaked so I don't peck my neighbor to death to get more breathing space. Or a male chick in that same egg factory where chicken sexers are employed to sort me out shortly after hatching, and if they determine I'm male they toss me into a wood chipper and sell my shredded remains for pet food. There are really people walking among us who do that for their job every day, toss baby chicks into a chipper. I've held a lot of newly hatched chicks and I honestly can't understand how anyone could do that even once in their life. If you don't believe me then educate yourself. The meat industry is not exactly announcing these practices because decent people would be revolted if they knew half the shit that goes on every minute of every day, billions of times a year.

But I 100% agree with you that monoculture corn and soybean production as has become standard since the Orwellian named 'green revolution,' with massive inputs of fossil fuels in the form of petrochemical fertilizer, insecticide, and heavy machinery use is not doing the world any favors. It's unsustainable over the long term so that will take care of itself. Inevitably we will try every bad idea first before going back to the traditional farming that got our species through the 5,000 years up to the 1960s.

There are no monocultures in nature for a reason, which we will all learn the hard way, the only way anybody ever learns anything. Now back to table tennis.
pingpungpeng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 8:16am

Edited by pingpungpeng - 12/14/2017 at 3:39pm
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 8:28am

BRS, I understand where your coming from. Sure it is easier to relate to an animal than an insect but technically there is no difference if you consider both a living breathing creature. I am defending the insects related to factory plant farming. You are defending the animal related factory animal farming. Yes, there is abuse in both types of factory farming.

fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 9:38am

Good on you for exposing your whole heart on the public space. You are very strong and I salute your courage.
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 9:48am

putting ont the same plane an insect and a sentient animal is really stretching it. I can’t even disagree with you; I just have to ignore you as nothing good can come out of any interaction between the 2 of us. Good luck to you.
bard romance View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 9:57am
Yahao Zhang is vegan. Not for the sake of TT, but he says it does help with feeling healthier/energy levels etc. 

I would guess veganism is more of a way to get in good shape and eat healthy which obviously helps, but there's no direct correlation to improving one's game. 

Edited by bard romance - 12/14/2017 at 9:58am
flatstyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatstyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 10:13am
Rather than argue from a theoretical stance, I challenge anyone to eat all vegan, aiming for as few highly processed foods as possible, for a period of just two weeks.  If within that time frame you do not find yourself waking up each day more alert, feeling mentally awake more of the day, with more energy to do things...then return to your diets of animal fats processed sugars. 

It might be especially revealing if some of you would do that and return to this thread with a report in a couple of weeks!
OSP Ultimate C-pen

FH MX-P

BH O5A
bard romance View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2017 at 10:16am
Originally posted by flatstyk flatstyk wrote:

Rather than argue from a theoretical stance, I challenge anyone to eat all vegan, aiming for as few highly processed foods as possible, for a period of just two weeks.  If within that time frame you do not find yourself waking up each day more alert, feeling mentally awake more of the day, with more energy to do things...then return to your diets of animal fats processed sugars. 

It might be especially revealing if some of you would do that and return to this thread with a report in a couple of weeks!

Not all non-vegans eat lots of fatty meat, processed food, and sugars. Those will much more greatly contribute to the results you are talking about than removing clean meats from one's diet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic