Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - T05 vs MXP
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > Equipment > Equipment

T05 vs MXP

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
taczkid View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member
Avatar

Joined: 05/19/2016
Location: ILLINOIS
Status: Offline
Points: 226
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2018 at 1:20pm
I think overall T05 is the best forehand rubber (all pros use it except Chinese). As far as backhand I find T05 to also work really well especially with new balls, might require slightly more time to get used to it on backhand but its worth to wait.
In my opinions T05 despite more expensive it will last you much longer if you take care of it (clean etc) and put edge tape to save edges.. It also will not shrink like MXP which comes factory boosted, where as T05 is not. After all MXP was made to be similar to T05, but I do not think it is... I like T05 way better, spin, speed and arc angle wise. There is a reason why everyone compares rubbers to T05 and why most of the players (not only Pros) use T05. It simply is better in every aspect of the game. If you never played tenergy you need to stick with it for few months (3+ ) to start using and realize it full potential!
Not to say that MXP is bed rubber, it is probably #2 forehand rubber choice by (Non-Chinese) players.
Both rubbers will work great on the blade you mentioned, I would personally go with T05.
Back to Top
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member


Joined: 08/08/2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 623
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2018 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by MydasDiablo MydasDiablo wrote:

It is nice to see other fans of MX-P over T05 Smile

I am too now tired of changing it every 3 months when its performance drops off a cliff Confused

Maybe Prime 2.3mm is the answer...or the new Xiom Omega VII Pro...

What FH rubbers do you use Victor / Unstopabl3?

I'm using Aurus Prime 2.1 Red on FH
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Back to Top
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member


Joined: 03/15/2012
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 3193
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2018 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

I'm using Aurus Prime 2.1 Red on FH

And how is Aurus Prime in comparison with MX-P?

I've tried AP only once - and it was an older test sheet (hence the question).
Back to Top
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member


Joined: 08/08/2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 623
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2018 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

I'm using Aurus Prime 2.1 Red on FH

And how is Aurus Prime in comparison with MX-P?

I've tried AP only once - and it was an older test sheet (hence the question).

Disclosure - I'm not particularly skilled at reviewing equipment with lots of detail, plus I don't have fresh recollections of MX-P, because last time I played with it was ~2 years ago.  I've been playing with Aurus Prime 2.1 Red for the past 4 months, or so.
 
Aurus Prime has different feeling due to very thin and not as grippy topsheet as MX-P, which I like, because I don't brush a lot, and generate spin and pace mostly with sponge.

AP in 2.1 is fast (not as fast as MX-P, IMO) and it gives me more than enough oomph when I need it.  It is also very linear, which I like, because it makes it very controllable in the short game ... plus, I'm a fan of linear rubbers in general - I play with Nexy Karis M on BH.

Too me, AP has medium-firm feel, and it feels softer than MX-P, and softer than its sponge hardness would indicate - probably because of the thin topsheet.

Also, I didn't notice any significant difference in AP's performance over time, which would indicate to me that it isn't factory boosted, but I might be wrong on that.

99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Back to Top
Basquests View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: 08/29/2016
Location: New Zealand
Status: Offline
Points: 128
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2018 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by taczkid taczkid wrote:

I think overall T05 is the best forehand rubber (all pros use it except Chinese). As far as backhand I find T05 to also work really well especially with new balls, might require slightly more time to get used to it on backhand but its worth to wait.
In my opinions T05 despite more expensive it will last you much longer if you take care of it (clean etc) and put edge tape to save edges.. It also will not shrink like MXP which comes factory boosted, where as T05 is not. After all MXP was made to be similar to T05, but I do not think it is... I like T05 way better, spin, speed and arc angle wise. There is a reason why everyone compares rubbers to T05 and why most of the players (not only Pros) use T05. It simply is better in every aspect of the game. If you never played tenergy you need to stick with it for few months (3+ ) to start using and realize it full potential!
Not to say that MXP is bed rubber, it is probably #2 forehand rubber choice by (Non-Chinese) players.
Both rubbers will work great on the blade you mentioned, I would personally go with T05.


Best for pros is not the rule in and of itself for 99.999 % of players.

In badminton string tension of pros is too high for anyone not super good, Rogers old racquet is no longer ideal even for him.

T05 is a great rubber because it suits a lot of peoples various games and its a great rubber... That has an aura and benefits from being the indisputable best rubber for a long time. Pros won't want to change from what they've been training with daily for a dubious benefit especially seeing as before sending nothing else compared. Non pros will gladly pay for the great rubber as they see value in that the best use it and its had a monopoly as the best for a while.

Even if mxp was 1% better for 40% of temerity users do you think they would change?
Back to Top
MydasDiablo View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: 06/03/2017
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Points: 132
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MydasDiablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2018 at 4:00pm
Thanks both Thumbs Up

Perhaps that is the reason I always end up coming back to MX-P, I loop using only the topsheet and only engage the sponge when smashing. MX-P is amazing in that regard, I can brush power loop from 4-5 metres off the table without even feeling the sponge and get a ridiculously high arcing spinny and super fast loop on the table. I always notice when I try and do it with other rubbers, including T05, that i need to engage the sponge in order to get the spin, arc and speed. I find it difficult to adjust to that as with MX-P if you engage the sponge too much I find you end up with a severe loss of control, so my tendency is too always hit the ball tangentially. 

Does anyone know of any other rubbers which allow you to use topsheet only and powerloop from 3-5 metres back off the table?

I chop from distance on BH against strong loopers using OX LP on a Koto/ZLC blade, which is why I am often that far off the table and wait for my chance to counter on the forehand. I have to say, blocking and fishing on forehand from distance works for me much better with MX-P than anything else too because the speed it goes back makes some of the blocks semi-offensive. 

The other shot I can play much better with MX-P than other rubbers is counter smashing a slow spinny loop right off the bounce. When you learn the correct timing for this shot it is incredible and consistant and I have beaten some very good loopers by standing close to the table and smacking every loop off the bounce. Obviously if they loop deeper on the table then it can't be done, but anything mid table gets the treatment Ouch  

My vicious forehand is the reason good players very quickly learn to pin me on my backhand OX LP and wait to hit one cross court wide enough that I can't fish it back. I am yet to find an answer for this so am somewhat hampered from making the next leg up in grading. Twiddling is one way, but for me I think it will have to be better footwork and perfecting my inside-out forehand on the backhand side (Liu Song stylee).

Another anecdote I just thought of, I am one of the only players that can beat our league Anti-spin blocker. This guy has beaten guys in the top 200 mens seniors in the UK by standing still and blocking every loop off the bounce with his super dampening blade and half attached anti. I can push 5-10 times and wait for the right ball that drifts long to my forehand and give it the thinnest brush treatment with a small but very fast jerk of the arm and 8/10 times he will block it long due to the spin. I have tried this shot with T05 and it doesn't work, you need the sponge to engage to up the spin level and that would mean being further off the table to keep the ball on the table, which gives him more time to reposition his block.

I really like that Yogi mentions in his reviews whether a rubber spins via topsheet or sponge, or a combination of both. I think this is a really important characteristic of a rubber if you want it to match your current stroke which has taken hours to groove, and will take many more hours to undo (like LP players going to Anti to get more reversal without realising the bat angles for blocking are completely inverted and muscle memory can be a Dead). 


Edited by MydasDiablo - 01/19/2018 at 4:25pm
Back to Top
Basquests View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: 08/29/2016
Location: New Zealand
Status: Offline
Points: 128
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 6 minutes ago at 7:54pm
Originally posted by MydasDiablo MydasDiablo wrote:

Thanks both Thumbs Up

Perhaps that is the reason I always end up coming back to MX-P, I loop using only the topsheet and only engage the sponge when smashing. MX-P is amazing in that regard, I can brush power loop from 4-5 metres off the table without even feeling the sponge and get a ridiculously high arcing spinny and super fast loop on the table. I always notice when I try and do it with other rubbers, including T05, that i need to engage the sponge in order to get the spin, arc and speed. I find it difficult to adjust to that as with MX-P if you engage the sponge too much I find you end up with a severe loss of control, so my tendency is too always hit the ball tangentially. 

Does anyone know of any other rubbers which allow you to use topsheet only and powerloop from 3-5 metres back off the table?

I chop from distance on BH against strong loopers using OX LP on a Koto/ZLC blade, which is why I am often that far off the table and wait for my chance to counter on the forehand. I have to say, blocking and fishing on forehand from distance works for me much better with MX-P than anything else too because the speed it goes back makes some of the blocks semi-offensive. 

The other shot I can play much better with MX-P than other rubbers is counter smashing a slow spinny loop right off the bounce. When you learn the correct timing for this shot it is incredible and consistant and I have beaten some very good loopers by standing close to the table and smacking every loop off the bounce. Obviously if they loop deeper on the table then it can't be done, but anything mid table gets the treatment Ouch  

My vicious forehand is the reason good players very quickly learn to pin me on my backhand OX LP and wait to hit one cross court wide enough that I can't fish it back. I am yet to find an answer for this so am somewhat hampered from making the next leg up in grading. Twiddling is one way, but for me I think it will have to be better footwork and perfecting my inside-out forehand on the backhand side (Liu Song stylee).

Another anecdote I just thought of, I am one of the only players that can beat our league Anti-spin blocker. This guy has beaten guys in the top 200 mens seniors in the UK by standing still and blocking every loop off the bounce with his super dampening blade and half attached anti. I can push 5-10 times and wait for the right ball that drifts long to my forehand and give it the thinnest brush treatment with a small but very fast jerk of the arm and 8/10 times he will block it long due to the spin. I have tried this shot with T05 and it doesn't work, you need the sponge to engage to up the spin level and that would mean being further off the table to keep the ball on the table, which gives him more time to reposition his block.

I really like that Yogi mentions in his reviews whether a rubber spins via topsheet or sponge, or a combination of both. I think this is a really important characteristic of a rubber if you want it to match your current stroke which has taken hours to groove, and will take many more hours to undo (like LP players going to Anti to get more reversal without realising the bat angles for blocking are completely inverted and muscle memory can be a Dead). 

As a fellow MX-P user, this is something i love about the rubber. The duality of the forehand as well as the other point re: slow spinny loops.

Most people don't attack slow spinny loops, they go and hit it up a bit and back away from the table. It's there to be hit, and if your eye is in and you are timing it well, this shot has  a decent success rate. I see the pro's doing it a lot as well, so its even cooler to be able to play the shot. Most people don't expect that type of return, so when you land it, not only is it really hard to return anyways due to the flatness/speed/direction you get on it but its also just not one of the responses the were expecting.
Back to Top
nv42 View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member
Avatar

Joined: 01/22/2013
Location: india
Status: Offline
Points: 295
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3 hours 29 minutes ago at 12:31am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

I'm using Aurus Prime 2.1 Red on FH


And how is Aurus Prime in comparison with MX-P?

I've tried AP only once - and it was an older test sheet (hence the question).


Aurus prime is a rubber which I feel I can replace mx-p wth (yes, I was looking for an mx-p alternative and not a t05 alternative 😂). Been using it since almost 3 months now, unlike every other latest gen rubber, it can generate decent spin using the topsheet and get some good power and kick on the ball from far off the table (when I use the top+sponge).

And the best thing abt these rubbers is that you get a good kick on your topspin since it makes yu engage the sponge. Also, another plus point is that these new gen stuff work incredibly well with the new abs balls, zero slippage or grip issues.

Even though the topsheet starts looking super worn after around 2 weeks (that's quick, almost like a 2 month old tenergy), it still performs almost the same. Blocking is really easy and controllable.

A friend boosted his aurus prime with 2 layers of falco mainly to get the sponge a softer and it feels amazing even after 3 months( boost wore off early but the softness remained) ,perfect balance between mx-p and t05 for me. Just give it time and use it on a not too stiff blade, typical bty alc blades or flexier.
1.f3 bulldozer
-FH-Mx-p(max)
-BH-aurus(max)
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.095 seconds.
Mark all posts as read :: Delete cookies set by this forum

Cookies and JavaScript must be enabled on your web browser in order to use this forum


Copyright © 2003-2013 MyTableTennis.NET - All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer