Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Equipment Choice for 1300 vs 1800

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Equipment Choice for 1300 vs 1800
    Posted: 12/17/2017 at 1:13pm
Let's say we have two players USATT 1300 and 1800. Both can be classified as allround players. The difference is that 1300 pushes more than he loops, while 1800 loops more often than 1300 does.  1800 still does a fair amount of pushing. Each player can attack from both wings.

What equipment do you recommend for each player from the choices below?

Blade choice: Stiga Allround WRB (All/All+), Stiga Offensive Wood NCT (OFF-). Stiga AR is somewhat softer and less flexible than Stiga Offensive Wood NCT. Both have limba outer ply.

Rubber choice: Mark V (medium hardness sponge) 1.8, 2.0, max, Xiom Vega Europe (medium-soft sponge) 1.8, 2.0, max. Vega is spinnier, has somewhat softer sponge and lighter than Mark V.

Please state your choice(s) of blade, rubber and thickness for each player.

Edited by Dream1700 - 12/17/2017 at 2:28pm
Sponsored Links

dajdosta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dajdosta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 1:37pm
I wouldn't recommend Mark V to anyone. It is overpriced and not so good rubber.
Blade choice I would leave to players, whichever suits them.

BTW that was easy question.
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 1:47pm
There is also a choice of rubber thickness if one categorically dislikes one of the rubbers.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 2:55pm
There is so much wrong with this topic. 
Is twiddling the racket an option?
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

There is so much wrong with this topic. 
Is twiddling the racket an option?
Let's assume the same rubber on both sides before this gets out of control.

Edited by Dream1700 - 12/17/2017 at 3:12pm
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2017 at 4:47pm
Going with the spirit of the question, I might recommend the same thing but in thicker sponge.  So where the guy might start with a markV combo in 1.8, if he's an allaround player he might play 1800 with the same setup but in 2.0
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2017 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Going with the spirit of the question, I might recommend the same thing but in thicker sponge.  So where the guy might start with a markV combo in 1.8, if he's an allaround player he might play 1800 with the same setup but in 2.0

OK, you suggest that a very slight upgrade 1.8 to 2.0 for 500 rating difference should be sufficient. This is very interesting.

So, you would not start any of these players with OFF- wood or spinnier rubber?
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2017 at 3:16pm
The choice between the two blades is a matter of preference, not playing level.

Use Mark V for the one likes pushing and Vega for the one who likes looping.

2.0 sponge for both.

Within the range of options you offered, all combinations are perfectly controllable and usable for a large range of playing levels.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2017 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

The choice between the two blades is a matter of preference, not playing level.

Use Mark V for the one likes pushing and Vega for the one who likes looping.

2.0 sponge for both.

Within the range of options you offered, all combinations are perfectly controllable and usable for a large range of playing levels.

ILya

Thanks. Equipment choice is starting to makes sense to me.
p.s. Glad to see that somebody still considers Mark V as a viable option.
Force Pro Special 7ply
FH: Fastarc C-1 1.4
BH: Tenergy 80 1.7
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2017 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Dream1700 Dream1700 wrote:

Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

OK, you suggest that a very slight upgrade 1.8 to 2.0 for 500 rating difference should be sufficient. This is very interesting.

So, you would not start any of these players with OFF- wood or spinnier rubber?

Well, remember your original question stated that the player was in an allaround style anyway, for which 2.0 should suffice.  I remember on About forum Tahl and Sean used to argue whether Tahl should be using 2.2 or 2.0, and he's a fantastic player.

And I suppose now days with the current ball you're going to want an off minus wood blade at least.  Even some of the off- ones feel slow to me now

koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2017 at 5:04pm
I am not sure I fully agree with that comment on blades Cole.  That really depends on how you like to play.  I use a prehistoric Stiga Allround blade and I can make the ball go at Warp 9 if I want to.  It really comes down to what feel you prefer and what works with your technique.  I have a pretty long looping stroke, so I am really ambivalent about how fast the blade is as long as I get the feel I want.  The shot speed really comes from racket speed and contact if you are a looper.  For hitters, it is probably a different ballgame.
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2017 at 6:49pm
Probably my opinion is biased by the rubbers I use and sell too.

vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2017 at 9:19pm
I am not sure what the OP is asking. Any of those rubbers and blades could work for players 1300 to 1800. I find equipment more likely is related to disposable income or coaching suggestions. The top USATT rated player at our club still uses mark v and hits as hard as anyone.

Edited by vanjr - 12/18/2017 at 9:21pm
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2017 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

I am not sure what the OP is asking. Any of those rubbers and blades could work for players 1300 to 1800. I find equipment more likely is related to disposable income or coaching suggestions. The top USATT rated player at our club still uses mark v and hits as hard as anyone.

I am trying to get feedback far as equipment choice vs playing strength.  It seems the consensus so far is that there is no significant difference (out of the choices I presented).
Force Pro Special 7ply
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2017 at 9:53pm
I dont get it either but vega pro is a great rubber. Better than vega europe. Also lasts forever
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2017 at 10:00pm

Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

I am trying to get feedback far as equipment choice vs playing strength.  It seems the consensus so far is that there is no significant difference (out of the choices I presented).

I agree!
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2017 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Lightzy Lightzy wrote:

I dont get it either but vega pro is a great rubber. Better than vega europe. Also lasts forever

how does Vega Pro compare to Palio AK47?

Edited by Dream1700 - 12/18/2017 at 10:21pm
Force Pro Special 7ply
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2017 at 11:03pm

Originally posted by Lightzy Lightzy wrote:

how does Vega Pro compare to Palio AK47?

I only have experience with Palio AK47 Blue, which is specifically a backhand rubber. I don't know how it would compare to the 47 Red which I think might be a more accurate comparison.
If you want a comparison to the AK47 Blue, then the Vega Pro is more expensive, harder, heavier, a bit more spinny and controlled in harder shots (harder sponge) and 10 times more durable. AK47 has 'tensor' behavior up the wazoo so too difficult to play with for beginners.

The thing I liked about vega pro when I used it is that balls just go on the table no question asked. It's an extremely easy to play rubber. So I think great for ratings between 1300 and 1800 but also beyond.

When I tried vega europe it had 'kick' or catapult that wasn't consistent and less predictable, while the vega pro doesn't have that. So I think vega pro is actually a lot better in control than the 'control rubber' vega europe

Edited by Lightzy - 12/19/2017 at 3:35pm
Soundoff88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soundoff88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2017 at 9:51am
Lightzy, do you boost the AK47 or use it right out of the package?

Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2017 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Soundoff88 Soundoff88 wrote:

Lightzy, do you boost the AK47 or use it right out of the package?

I don't use boosters for reasons of principle, health and competition disqualification, but regardless; I don't think there is really anything to gain from boosting a sponge that's 38-40 hardness. I think it will do more harm than good.

Are you asking if it's a good rubber? If so I can tell you that it is. It is an amazing rubber for its price. It's a very one dimensional rubber also. It does what it does really good and that's it. It's a speed rubber.

Edited by Lightzy - 12/19/2017 at 9:07pm
Soundoff88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soundoff88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2017 at 8:40pm
Thanks for the info. I also used the AK47 as is out of the package and found it to be more than ok for backhand. May experiment with boosting after a while and see why folks recommend the need for boosting.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic