Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xiom Omega VII Pro and Euro Rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xiom Omega VII Pro and Euro Rubbers
    Posted: 12/21/2017 at 5:05am
Forgive the pics because I only used a cellphone to take them.

Omega VII Pro

The Omega 7 Pro is the newest addition to the Omega Series rubbers. Xiom decided not to name the series as Omega 6 but skipped one number  and made it Omega 7. They only released the Omega Pro and Euro versions. I am hoping they will release the Tour and Asis versions also this year.

Anyways, the Omega 7 Pro or let us call it O7P particularly softer compared to the Omega V Pro (O5P). My O7P was softer when it was first glued with a Xiom waterbased glue but after 2 days the rubber hardened a little bit. I thought the rubber was too soft at first but it is only a tad softer compared to the O5P. The topsheet of the O7P has this softness that I have not experienced with other Xiom rubbers in the past. The topsheet is a semi tacky and soft topsheet. When I pressed my finger against the topsheet, my finger sank into the topsheet easily. I would compare the sponge as almost the same hardness wit hthe Omega 5 Pro but the topsheet hardness makes it really different when it comes to overall hardness (topsheet + sponge hardness combined). The topsheet layer seems thinner but have longer pimples extending inwards. The O7P has bigger pores compared to that of the O7 Euro version. I cut the rubber to my Xiom Feel Ax blade which is a 150x157mm blade and was surprised the rubber weighs only at 45 grams in my digital scale.  The Omega 5 Pro which I also used for testing was about 48-49 grams cut in the same Xiom Feel Ax blade so the O7P is a light ESN rubber and Xiom says that they intended the new rubbers to be light, fast and grippy.

For comparison, I will be comparing it to the Omega V Pro and MX-P. I always thought nothing could be as spinny or speedy as the MX-P in the past 4-5 years that it was released. Speedwise, I would put the Omega 7 Pro as a faster rubber than Omega 5 Pro or MX-P. Let me explain why. I have placed the Omega 7 Pro in my Xiom Feel AX and at that time of testing I lacked the Omega 5 Pro (it prompted me to buy the Omega 5 Pro as a forehand rubber because I like it a lot) so I used a friend's Primorac Carbon blade with Omega 5 Pro in it. I know they are attached to different blades with different speeds with the Primorac Carbon being a faster blade because the Feel AX is like a slower and softer Viscaria. I was surprised that the Feell AX with the the O7P came out as a faster racket set up. With the Primorac Carbon and Omega V Pro, I can still control the ball easily despite the primorac Carbon being a fast and stiff blade but with the Feel AX and Omega 7 Pro, I had to do some adjustments to my swings. I usually do full swings in my loops because I came from using CHinese rubbers in the forehand. I was not satisfied wit hthe comparison, so I bought an Omega V pro and used it in my forehand with the O7P as my backhand rubber just for the sake of speed comparison (the O5P is still the one I am using right now as a FH rubber and the O7P is my bh rubber). I can feel the difference in speed by a few notches. After 2 days of using the O7P as a fh and bh rubber, I was able to control it and this is where I saw its main selling point and my second point of the review - the Xiom Omega 7 Pro is a very easy rubber to use. In fact, it is one of the easiest high speed rubbers to that I have ever used up to date. Yes, it is quite strange that it took me 1 day to adjust to its speed, but other speedy rubbers took me a month or even never to adjust because they are very hard to use and are not suited to my full swings. The O7P is a very forgiving rubber. I do not know if it is the combination of the sponge and topsheet combo that enables me to control the ball easily. This is what I noticed about the Omega 7 Pro, on situations where you are not in a position to do a proper stroke or your contact with the ball seem to be lacking because maybe you have suddenly been given a well placed return or drive, the Omega 7 Pro returns the ball easier compared to high end speedy rubber. Whether it is a sloppy forehand topspin or a sudden slap with the ball because you were not able to spin it properly, the chances of missing is a bit lower even if you compare it to the Omega V Pro or MX-P. The MX-P in particular is a vicious rubber wherein it is very fast but people with lesser skills will have a hard time using it or controlling the rubber as well the Omega V Pro because these 2 rubbers are best suited to those who have well developed strokes and not some half cooked stroke or skill to bring out the best in them. Although, I would choose the Omega V pro as my fh rubber it is because it is not an inferior rubber but it is more suited to my chinese rubber stroke. For the backhand, the Omega 7 Pro is really good in terms of flicks, backhand kills, loops and blocks. It can rival the Tenergy 64 as backhand rubber because it is pretty balanced in terms of control and speed for attacking, blocking and spin. 

Spinwise, I had a hard time deciding which one has more spin among the 3 so I would rather categories the spin of 3 rubbers. The Omega V pro is spinnier compared to the MX-P or Omega 7 Pro on thin contact brushes. I would attribute this to the medium hard sponge and topsheet which let you spin the ball with a thin brush contact.  The MX-P comes second and the O7 Pro is the least. If you contact the ball in a thick and sponge -engaging stroke, the Omega 7 Pro is spinnier compared to the MX-P and Omega V Pro but if maybe a player with a higher level of skill, the Omega v Pro would be spinnier but I cannot fully conclude. The way you can spin the ball with the Omega 7 Pro is more on deep sponge contact but it is easier to produce spin with the O7Pro comapred with the Omega 5 Pro. Let's just sat, for potential spin, it is probably the Omega 5 Pro that is spinnier but it needs a higher set of skills and the topsheet of the O5Pro is more spin sensitive while the MX-P and Omega 7 Pro are not the spin sensitive. 

Away from the table, the Omega 7 Pro is more powerful compared to the MX-P and Omega V Pro. The Omega V pro feels like it is good only up to mid distance and loses some power at far distance. The MX-P is comfortable at far distance but the seem to have lesser power by a small margin to the Omega 7 Pro. 

I personally prefer the Omega V pro as my forehand rubberr because I can control it and use it like a Chinese rubber the same way I can control the MX-S easily before. I kept the Omega 7 Pro as a backhand rubber and this is out of preference. I am sure a lot of player would use the Omega 7 Pro as a forehand rubber because it is simply an amazing rubber.

Omega VII Euro

At 43 grams cut to a 150x157mm blade, the O7 Euro is even lighter than the Omega 7 Pro version. I will compare this directly with the Omega V Euro version since the O5E is the E7's predecessor. The Omega Euro 7 is slightly softer than the Omega V equivalent. This is after 1-2 days of gluing it to the blade. It feels really soft when I first glued it so I let a day pass to have the hardness checked and it it hardens a little bit after a day passes. The topsheet like that of the Omega 7 Pro is also softer than the O5E. The Omega 5 Euro topsheet feels tackier at first touch compared both to that of the O7P and O7E. The sponge of the O5E feels denser than the O7E and feels heavier. Between the O7P and Omega 7 Euro sponges, the O7E has smaller pores in the sponge.

I have both used the Euro 5 and Euro 7 and the difference is huge on the playstyle and spin output. The Omega 5 Euro seems to be more vicious in terms of a topspin game while the Omega 7 Eruo seems to be a very tamed version. The Omega 7 Euro is not as spin sensitive compared to the Omega V Euro. A friend of mine who is fond of the Omega 7 Euro cannot play with the 5 Euro because it is a very spin sensitive rubber and he feels it is too hard for him. Another friend of mine who I gave the Omega V Euro loves the O5E because he can actually attack with amazing spin and speed with the Omega V euro. So the Omega V euro seems to be not for every playing style. One friend who smashes a lot in the forehand does not like it much but another friend who spins a lot loves it. The Omega 7 Euro seem to attack very well minus the spin sensitivity and also a little bit less spin than the Omega 7 Pro and Omega 5 Euro but like the OMega 7 Pro it is easier to handle even with just intermediate level players. the spin is still great if you compare it to vega pros and and vega euros so spin is not really a problem but it is just a level or 2 lower than the Omega 7 Pro. Intermediate players can play with this rubber at max version and will not find it hard to control or generate spin. The soft topsheet enables them to hit the ball with depth into the topsheet and sponge making them spin the ball a little bit easier. The Omega 7E has a lower throw compared to the Omega 7P and Omega 5P and E versions. I will not call it a mediocre rubber in terms of performance because it is really good especially as a backhand rubber but advanced level players would surely want the Omega 7 Pro instead because  the Omega 7 Pro is a rubber in complete package that has playing characteristics on a better level than that of the Omega 7 Euro except maybe with control. The O7E is good up to middle distance only, far from the table it loses almost half of its power so I definitely recommend this to close to the table attackers and blockers.

People have asked me how is the Omega 7 Pro's catapult and I can say it is very bouncy. It is faster than the MX-P by a small margin so you will have no problem about catapult. Will the Omega 7 Pro be a good replacement for Adidas P7? Yes, definitely it is. It has some characteristics similar to playing the P7 but with the O7P being faster and spinnier. 

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2017 at 5:13am
OMG. Here we go again. Can you please tell us whats the weight?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2017 at 5:31am
i only weighed the rubbers already cut to 150x157mm blades.. Pro is 45 grams and Euro is 43 grams. They are light!
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

melaal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2017 at 6:23am
I like XIOM
Waiting your review

Thanks
808ponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 808ponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2017 at 6:50am
Any idea when they’ll be released generally?
BTY Harimoto Stiga DNA M
polbotinka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polbotinka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2017 at 9:47am
Xiom Omega V Euro is still one of the best BH rubbers out there, but I'm afraid they softened VII which I don't like.

I didn't like Omega V Pro much overall it was OK rubber but I liked Tour more.

Can't wait to see what Omega VII Pro/Euro plays like.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2017 at 9:59am
According to Xiom website (http://www.xiom.co.kr/product/product_detail.aspx?catCode=30&prdCode=1001496) Omega VII Pro is only 45º, softer compared to OV Pro or Vega Pro. Xiom allways messing with their own names.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2017 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by polbotinka polbotinka wrote:

Xiom Omega V Euro is still one of the best BH rubbers out there, but I'm afraid they softened VII which I don't like.

I didn't like Omega V Pro much overall it was OK rubber but I liked Tour more.

Can't wait to see what Omega VII Pro/Euro plays like.

+1  for OmegaV Euro for bh only. I love it

I hope the Omega VII's don't play like Rasanter or Bluestorm

Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
MydasDiablo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MydasDiablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2017 at 5:23pm
After reading the German reviews using google translate: http://www.tt-spin.de/xiom-omega-vii-euro/   http://www.tt-spin.de/xiom-omega-vii-pro/  I was excited about the VII Euro as a super lightweight rubber (given the hardness) with great speed/spin to control ratio. My distributor in the UK then told me Xiom aren't releasing the Euro here until March '18 Unhappy. I think the Pro is coming earlier and I know some distributors in Asia have already got stock in the pipeline. 

Looking forward to your review and hoping one of the forum sellers in Asia will chip in at some point with a plug to buy the rubbers from them.

Edited by MydasDiablo - 12/21/2017 at 5:32pm
Rich L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2017 at 5:52pm
It's very encouraging to see Xiom seeking superior performance in lighter weight rubbers.  Over the last few years, so many premium rubbers have reached and exceeded 70 grams per sheet.  Hopefully, if the Omega VII series meets with success, other manufacturers will begin to follow suit.
Xiom Haybusa Zxi
FH: Xiom Omega IV Elite
BH: Xiom Omega VI Europe
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2017 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Rich L Rich L wrote:

It's very encouraging to see Xiom seeking superior performance in lighter weight rubbers.  Over the last few years, so many premium rubbers have reached and exceeded 70 grams per sheet.  Hopefully, if the Omega VII series meets with success, other manufacturers will begin to follow suit.

That is not how it works. Xiom is not seeking anything. This is just ESN's latest tech. The menu that ESN offers Xiom is reasonably narrow focused.

Rasanters are light as well.

From reports, XV7E is quite softer in feel than XV5E. XV7P may not be spinny enough to suit everyone.

However, I am looking forward to trying them. I love the current gen. Even Aurus Prime is a step up in grip from MX-P.
Rich L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2017 at 6:56pm
I stand corrected, but whatever is behind the move to lighter weight performance rubbers, I'm all for it.  I'm still waiting for a P7 successor to come along that has that same elasticity and catapult effect, yet match P7's 64g weight.
Xiom Haybusa Zxi
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2017 at 7:27pm

but whatever is behind the move to lighter weight performance rubbers

Moving to thinner topsheet and thicker sponge! The sponge is less dense compared to the topsheet hence the lighter weight.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2017 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Moving to thinner topsheet and thicker sponge! The sponge is less dense compared to the topsheet hence the lighter weight.

...and showing the signs of topsheet wearing much faster..
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MydasDiablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2017 at 1:08am
The German chap who does the reviews on TT-Spin reckons Gewo Hype KR Pro 47.5 is the closest thing to P7 he has tried. Read his review here: http://www.tt-spin.de/gewo-hype-kr-pro-47-5/

68g uncut, 46g cut for Max, not as light as P7 but not as heavy as Evos or Omegas. 

Edited by MydasDiablo - 12/22/2017 at 1:10am
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2017 at 1:21am
I have tried the hype kr gewo but it is not close to p7. The OP7 feels softer than p7 but it is very spinny.

Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2017 at 2:08am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

That is not how it works. Xiom is not seeking anything. This is just ESN's latest tech. The menu that ESN offers Xiom is reasonably narrow focused.

From reports, XV7E is quite softer in feel than XV5E. XV7P may not be spinny enough to suit everyone.

However, I am looking forward to trying them. I love the current gen. Even Aurus Prime is a step up in grip from MX-P.

Not really.  I had an uncut Rasanter R50 max at 73g.
That is heavier than an uncut Tenergy 2.1  05/80 by about 3 to 4g

Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MydasDiablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2017 at 2:21am

You are not comparing like for like on sponge hardness or thickness (2.1mm vs 2.3mm), so that's not a fair comparison. It's clear that across the board the new gen ESN thin topsheet rubbers are lighter than Evos and Omegas etc, but then so are Tenergies so you won't gain much by going from Tenergy to them if you are trying to save weight. 

Is it the obscene amount of booster they add to the Evos and the like that causes them to be so heavy? FX-P and EL-P are ridiculously heavy given their sponge hardness. 
Rich L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2017 at 7:25am
Hey Yogi,

Any impressions on the Omega VII rubbers yet?

Xiom Haybusa Zxi
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2017 at 9:16am

I definitely see your point, but AFAIK Xiom is the only brand that chose to use this new topsheet design to reduce the rubber weight. As such it seems fair to expect that the omega VII will have been optimized for the 2.1 max sponge, unlike the other ESN rubbers from the same generation. Ofc the question is whether their weight and performance actually outclasses the other thin topsheet ESN at 2.1 thickness. Time will tell!
melaal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melaal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2017 at 3:41am
Hey Yogi,
Any impressions on the Omega VII rubbers yet?
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2018 at 11:46am
Omega Yogi on any hey impressions the yet VII, rubbers?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
h0n1g View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h0n1g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2018 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

You might wanna try that again.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2018 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by h0n1g h0n1g wrote:

Give us a break - we're all recovering from our New Year eve's hangover!

Edited by slevin - 01/01/2018 at 12:45pm
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2018 at 1:11pm

Originally posted by h0n1g h0n1g wrote:

Give us a break - we're all recovering from our New Year eve's hangover!

Beer
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2018 at 6:41am
updated with Omega 7 Pro review. I will post the Euro review tomorrow. Sorry been very busy with the New year and my tennis elbow has been hurting since a week ago that I even have a hard time typing.

nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2018 at 3:54pm
From my experience, pretty sure the mx-p is spinnier than the O5P on full swings and thin brush topsheet brush kinda loops (though it is a bit harder to pull it off with mx-p), the O5P might feel spinnier on med swings. Either way, any comparisons of the o7p with rasanter 47 or aurus prime.?

However, iv noticed that ppl with full arm Chinese swings feel more comfortable playing with rubbers like the mx-s, O5P etc and can get better results with them than with bouncy stuff like mx-p.

Edited by nv42 - 01/02/2018 at 3:56pm
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2018 at 9:31pm
Sounds interesting to me. I'm thinking the pro for the and the euro for bh maybe?
Barwell fleet, Omega 7 Pro & Fastarc S1
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2018 at 11:12pm
I think that O7P is 45 deg, not 47.
Rich L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2018 at 5:56am
Great review.  How is the catapult effect on the O7P?  Do we have a potential P7 replacement here?
Xiom Haybusa Zxi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic