Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ABS Plastic Balls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2018 at 3:06pm
" Very often, it isn't the same for everyone at all.  Changing a feature will immediately reveal who is best positioned to adapt to that change, often quite by nothing more than good fortune based on unrelated choices made years earlier.  I don't advocate moaning as a good response either of course, but I do feel it's important to recognise that the difficulty in adapting isn't equal for everyone and some players may need more support and understanding that others."

I understand what you are saying now, Andy.

When entering a discussion we should remember that there is a rule of argumentation that states that you should give your opponents argument the fairest possible treatment and not the poorest treatment. This is a guideline per se:

http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/CLAS/Centers/ColoradoHistoryDay/Projects/Documents/Rules%20of%20Argument%20How%20to%20Make%20it%20Convincing.pdf

I am pointing this out simply because saying "the spin potential ceiling has been lowered to everyone the same amount", is not the same as saying "suck it up!". 

But your point about people having different degrees of difficulty to adapt is a valid observation. I am not disputing that.

FdT
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2018 at 8:52pm
You have to get more body rotation now. That requires better footwork. That in turn requires better anticipation. I had to make big changes in how I practised to feel comfortable with 40+. It took a year but I switched in 2014. I had to rethink serving strategies too.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2018 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

You have to get more body rotation now. That requires better footwork. That in turn requires better anticipation. I had to make big changes in how I practised to feel comfortable with 40+. It took a year but I switched in 2014. I had to rethink serving strategies too.

Could you elaborate on practice and serving changes?

Mark - Who wants to know !

Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2018 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

Hi Andy, thanks for your thoughtful response.

"It's the same change, but it will have more impact on some than others."

Sure, I guess. Would you care to elaborate on this? I somewhat agree. My point was however, that the spin potential has been lowered, more or less equally for all players (depending on the plastic ball being used).

FdT

The spin potential has indeed lowered equally, but players rely on extreme spin to greater or lesser degrees.   For the former, that could be an over-emphasis on one particular shot that worked well with cell, or building a game on spin reversal.  For the latter, it could be a player who predominantly flat hits.  Spin potential has different value to different players - some can absorb a sudden loss of spin into their games, some will struggle to adapt.

My pet peeve with this (and this isn't aimed at you, because you haven't done this) is people who take a "just get on with it, stop moaning, it's the same for everyone" approach to the world.  Very often, it isn't the same for everyone at all.  Changing a feature will immediately reveal who is best positioned to adapt to that change, often quite by nothing more than good fortune based on unrelated choices made years earlier.  I don't advocate moaning as a good response either of course, but I do feel it's important to recognise that the difficulty in adapting isn't equal for everyone and some players may need more support and understanding that others.

Yeah a peeve of mine too.

If Ma Long plays me, he'll win a million times out of a million.

If we both drink 10 alcoholic beverages each [or even drink to the same level of drunkedness] that benefits me. As there is now more variance. I know have a chance of winning due to him collapsing or unable to continue.

If we both also start playing with a rubber covered stove, it also benefits me. He's better equipped to deal with any chance in the realm of table tennis, but he is also guaranteed to win a regulation game under regulation body condition. Changing something super drastically might only give me a 1 in a million chance of winning, but say, chance Ma Long with the world number 10000 and suddenly my chances of winning might be 30 or 50 times higher, rather than from 0 to 1 in a million [or less]

When I am playing someone weaker, I try to play smart, but also keep it to a standard game as much as possible. Strip away external factors, say fatigue or anything, and I'm the heavy favourite
Likewise, if its the end of a long days tournament, if i'm up against someone better than me, maybe fatigue works in my favour.. even if they are a tad fitter. Because it only takes the momentum in my favour once, to give me a good chance of winning. When you've been playing several events and are both dead, its an equalizing factor - you don't want these if you win naturally, and you want them if you are a weaker player normally.

Yes, the better adapted player may adjust to any situation better, but a better player, even if they are a better adapter/conditioned to fatigue, still would probably rather play when both have warmed up for an hour [i.e. warmed up], but not both have played 6 hours already that day.

When i play someone, even if they are better than me, i prefer a longer warm up, esp. in a tournament. Because even though the variance might benefit me, I'd rather win when we are both at least playing something recognizable rather than who warms up slightly faster..

Edited by Basquests - 02/05/2018 at 10:24pm
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2018 at 11:32pm
Amarillo Slim, a famous gambler, beat a champion using pop bottles.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2018 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Could you elaborate on practice and serving changes?

Mark - Who wants to know !

First, I had to lose some weight.  For me it was pretty important especially since I am not a kid. 

In addition, while that was going on, and ever since, I spent and continue to spend a lot of time working on body rotation on FH and then to incorporate that into more real play.  To that end, I did (and continue to do) a ton of two-two drills of various sorts.  You need a practice partner willing and able to do it which means consistent blocking or countering from side to side, but basically two balls to the FH, two to the BH, etc. as long as you can go.  I am lucky to have a couple of partners who like to train that way.  And from there to Falkenberg drills, once my mobility got to where I could do it for awhile without hurting myself and without my technique degrading to the point that the drill does more harm than good*.  In other words, a lot of drills where I am having to move to get to the ball.  Importantly, you are not trying to hit real hard, at least not necessarily, you are mainly training the choreography.  As you get better at this, then you work to make sure there is really good body rotation on each shot, staying in balance, and not a big backswing.   I made a little plastic target thingy, a concentric circle, that I would place in a corner, about five inches in diameter, and I would try to do this drills and get my balls as close to the target as I could.    I would do these drills at three different distances from the table.

I also spend a lot of time having partners give me short dead and underspin balls that I would banana flick and then get back.  The last part is hard.  Getting back.  Forget that and the whole thing is useless, though.

For serves, the people I play with attack even really good regular pendulum serves unless they lose concentration.  I don't use them much.  So I have developed a wide range of hook serves.   I spent a lot of time getting to where I could hit them long or short with top-side or under-side to the corner or into the body.  It is really important now to have a reliable and effective long serve.  It needs to be really long, not half-long.  I spent a lot of time working to be ready for third balls that would be most likely to come from those serves.  For example, it is highly unlikely that anyone will return a decent long serve short.  The third ball is coming out.  Be ready to hit a controlled but solid third ball off that to either side or the opponent's body.

To be honest, it is not that many different things, but it really emphasizes things you need to be able to do with any 40+ ball. 

* There are probably some younger forumers here snickering and wondering what is the big deal about that.  It probably seems trivial to them.  To them I say, trust me, for players at my age, it is very far from trivial and you need to approach it with some caution.  But it pays huge dividends, even if in real play you would never step around as far with the FH as you do in a Falkenberg drill.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2018 at 5:26pm
" It is really important now to have a reliable and effective long serve.  It needs to be really long, not half-long.  I spent a lot of time working to be ready for third balls that would be most likely to come from those serves.  For example, it is highly unlikely that anyone will return a decent long serve short.  The third ball is coming out.  Be ready to hit a controlled but solid third ball off that to either side or the opponent's body."

Ah, with this I agree 100%!! In the Chiquita banana flick world we live in, medium long serves are dangerous. even if they have tons of spin and are low, good players will be able to flick them aggressively! So yes, investing time in long spiny serves is necessary these days. spiny/no spin, etc. Deceptive serves are also necessary.

FdT
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2018 at 11:56pm
One last thing Mark. One hour of really hard focused practice like that is better than four hours of undisciplined ball whacking. Also if you really do that program, if you try to play matches afterword you will suck. Matches are for different days.

The point of all this is that 40+ balls, whether tbey are ABS or some other material, demand greater athleticsm and body rotation on spin shots, and they punish lazy technique. For that to happen you really need to move well and generate racket speed from compact strokes. A lot of little touch stuff in our sport is less important or effective.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 12:33am

One last thing Mark. One hour of really hard focused practice like that is better than four hours of undisciplined ball whacking. Also if you really do that program, if you try to play matches afterword you will suck. Matches are for different days.

The point of all this is that 40+ balls, whether tbey are ABS or some other material, demand greater athleticsm and body rotation on spin shots, and they punish lazy technique. For that to happen you really need to move well and generate racket speed from compact strokes. A lot of little touch stuff in our sport is less important or effective.

As a person gets older, per more athleticism of above, a player should consider being a pushblocker on their Bh, which will set up a lot of easy 4h attacks.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 1:39am

The good news:
1. I never had any touch so losing its effectiveness does not hurt my game.
2. I do not have lazy technique

The bad news:
1. I have zero athleticism now and prospects are that it is only going to get worse.
2. I have sloth-like technique which I guess gets punished even worse than lazy technique.

Mark - Whose "23&Me" DNA profile shows my ancestry is 50% South American arboreal mammal

Edited by mjamja - 02/07/2018 at 1:51am
MTMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 2:49am
After being away for some years, I played 90 minutes with a former TT buddy.  First time using the balls. I dont' know what others think but I really dislike the new ball in that they felt dead and slow. Missing is the delight of these very precise, light and responsible balls of old.  At least that's what I felt.... sigh. 

So everyone going over to these new balls or do some insist on keeping the 40mm old style balls? 
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 2:58am
Originally posted by MTMT MTMT wrote:

After being away for some years, I played 90 minutes with a former TT buddy.  First time using the balls. I dont' know what others think but I really dislike the new ball in that they felt dead and slow. Missing is the delight of these very precise, light and responsible balls of old.  At least that's what I felt.... sigh. 

So everyone going over to these new balls or do some insist on keeping the 40mm old style balls? 

Our group didn't switch until the DHS D40+ was available at a reasonable price. We still use the 40 stock for multiball.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 5:49am
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

As a person gets older, per more athleticism of above, a player should consider being a pushblocker on their Bh, which will set up a lot of easy 4h attacks.

I'd rather quit.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 7:00am
"So everyone going over to these new balls or do some insist on keeping the 40mm old style balls? "

Get yourself one or two boxes of the Nittaku Premium 40+ balls. At this point they are the ones that feel closest to the old celluloid balls. But there are brand new balls that are approximating the Nittaku balls in quality.

FdT

Edited by Fulanodetal - 02/07/2018 at 7:00am
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2018 at 8:57am

Everyone needs to bear in mind that (1) we don't have ABS balls in the original 40, as opposed to 40+ size

Yasaka Select 1* ABS ball is precisely 40 mm, as opposed to the other ABS balls (40.2 mm on my electronic caliper). 0.2 mm less diameter certainly feels more stable and heavy. It is also more grippy than, say, Xiom Bravo 2*. The latter however boast the absolute form of the Platonic sphere, perfectly round. Waiting to get in possession of some 3* ABS from Yasaka.

How much exactly is the diameter of DHS and Stiga ABS balls?
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2018 at 9:05am

"So everyone going over to these new balls or do some insist on keeping the 40mm old style balls? "
Get yourself one or two boxes of the Nittaku Premium 40+ balls. At this point they are the ones that feel closest to the old celluloid balls. But there are brand new balls that are approximating the Nittaku balls in quality.

I like the DHS D40+ better than the Nittaku Premium 40+.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2018 at 11:20am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Hi Andy, thanks for your thoughtful response.

I however would have to disagree a little bit.

"<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">This misses the point being made by </span><span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">some </span><span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">players.  In the cell days, some players relied on spin more than others, and had built up strategy and entire play styles around that. "</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Please count me in the camp of players who rely on spin more than, say overpowering your opponent. I did build my style around spinny shots. I find nowadays that I can still produce spinny shots and with relatively more spin than most of my opponents. I often get the comment "wow, that's really spinny!". So no I would not think I have missed any point since I am one of those players. I am still capable of producing serious amounts of spin, but thanks to my coach, my footwork has improved and my shot mechanics have improved where now I am able to put more power on my shots with more control as well.</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">"</span><span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">It's the same change, but it will have more impact on some than others."</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Sure, I guess. Would you care to elaborate on this? I somewhat agree. My point was however, that the spin potential has been lowered, more or less equally for all players (depending on the plastic ball being used).</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">FdT</span>

The spin potential has indeed lowered equally, but players rely on extreme spin to greater or lesser degrees.   For the former, that could be an over-emphasis on one particular shot that worked well with cell, or building a game on spin reversal.  For the latter, it could be a player who predominantly flat hits.  Spin potential has different value to different players - some can absorb a sudden loss of spin into their games, some will struggle to adapt.

My pet peeve with this (and this isn't aimed at you, because you haven't done this) is people who take a "just get on with it, stop moaning, it's the same for everyone" approach to the world.  Very often, it isn't the same for everyone at all.  Changing a feature will immediately reveal who is best positioned to adapt to that change, often quite by nothing more than good fortune based on unrelated choices made years earlier.  I don't advocate moaning as a good response either of course, but I do feel it's important to recognise that the difficulty in adapting isn't equal for everyone and some players may need more support and understanding that others.

Well written.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2018 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Everyone needs to bear in mind that (1) we don't have ABS balls in the original 40, as opposed to 40+ size

Yasaka Select 1* ABS ball is precisely 40 mm, as opposed to the other ABS balls (40.2 mm on my electronic caliper). 0.2 mm less diameter certainly feels more stable and heavy. It is also more grippy than, say, Xiom Bravo 2*. The latter however boast the absolute form of the Platonic sphere, perfectly round. Waiting to get in possession of some 3* ABS from Yasaka.

How much exactly is the diameter of DHS and Stiga ABS balls?

Don't expect them to be that small as ITTF will not approve them if they are.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2018 at 2:03pm
I just got in some psc samples. Didn't one of the previous threads discuss those?

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2018 at 5:05am
I've tried those PSC40+ balls, they're quite nice balls. They're not ITTF approved, but better than some of the approved balls.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2018 at 6:44pm
Rather off-topic: I like best the DHS 40+ (from ttnpp) but no competition uses them.

Nittaku Premium 40+ are also fine, and today I tried Gambler 40+
and liked it as well. I am fortunate that at my club the better players
agree to use DHS40+ when hitting with me, as they use Bfy G40+ when playing
each other, and I hate the G40+. Competitions use it though.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2018 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by pitigoi pitigoi wrote:

Rather off-topic: I like best the DHS 40+ (from ttnpp) but no competition uses them.

Nittaku Premium 40+ are also fine, and today I tried Gambler 40+
and liked it as well. I am fortunate that at my club the better players
agree to use DHS40+ when hitting with me, as they use Bfy G40+ when playing
each other, and I hate the G40+. Competitions use it though.
That's interesting.  You realize that DHS has the ball contract for most ITTF professional events, which means that the ball mostly commonly used by professionals in tournament play is the D40+.

I also find it interesting that your club uses the Bty G40+.  I bought a box of those and no one -- not a single player -- will use them more than once.  I relegated them to my practice bucket (for drills and service practice), but recently I've noticed that they don't age well.  They start getting weird bounced as they get old.

Of course, all poly/plastic balls are pretty awful as they get old. Tongue
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2018 at 2:42pm
Future tournaments with one hour driving: all use Joola or Bfy "white plastic balls",
four out of 6 are more precise: "Joola Prime 40+ 3 Star ABS Balls".

For Gambler, it is the P40+ that I found to be about as good as the DHS D40+, which I like the most.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2018 at 4:50pm
l like some of the DHS D40+'s I purchase. Others don't feel right.

I think I finally figured out why some of them wobble strangely in flight sometimes.

This is one of the balls that one of my opponents complained loudly about having to use, instead of his Nittaku Premium.

There's actually a highlight area thicker than a pencil lead where the plastic is THICKER than the rest of the ball.  I put light behind the ball to see it easier - this particular ball has several of them - you can see it on the larger image if you scroll.

And then the there's the obvious notch that was taken out of the ball near the * logo (maybe from an edge?)

Have other folks seen this?

Edited by icontek - 11/07/2018 at 5:22pm
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2018 at 1:08pm
DHS 40d+ GOT UNPLAYABLE IN A HOUR PLAY.

Yes, I have now got information from an Aliaexpress buyer. The DHS 40D+ balls were reported to get out of round shape just after a hour's play. The ball got wobbling in rotation after a hour play.   Yes, it is all because the ABS PLASTIC is known for being a "ductile material", non elastic material.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2018 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

DHS 40d+ GOT UNPLAYABLE IN A HOUR PLAY.

Yes, I have now got information from an Aliaexpress buyer. The DHS 40D+ balls were reported to get out of round shape just after a hour's play. The ball got wobbling in rotation after a hour play.   Yes, it is all because the ABS PLASTIC is known for being a "ductile material", non elastic material.

I'm not sure these are the same thing. I have this used (and a much newer) DHS D40+ that show signs of having a thick "drop" or spot on the plastic wall. 

I don't think this was caused by play.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2018 at 2:15pm
I GOT DETERMINED TO TAKE UP SOME MORE EXPERIMENTS.

Truth to say , I had never encountered any problem of the "balls shape loss,", or suchlike,   just for the reason that I do swap to another ball as soon as the played one getting shiny. I do hate playing with glossy balls.
Some next day I will do some prolonged experiments with DHS balls, by working the ball for a longer while and thus could we see if DHS sphere really got deformed after a while, and how much.    
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2018 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

I GOT DETERMINED TO TAKE UP SOME MORE EXPERIMENTS.

Truth to say , I had never encountered any problem of the "balls shape loss,", or suchlike,   just for the reason that I do swap to another ball as soon as the played one getting shiny. I do hate playing with glossy balls.
Some next day I will do some prolonged experiments with DHS balls, by working the ball for a longer while and thus could we see if DHS sphere really got deformed after a while, and how much.    

To be clear, I don't think the ball is deformed overtime, I think the observable wobble and errata is caused by the thicker splotches of plastic on the interior of the ball.

And DHS balls don't seem to go glossy easily, they stay gritty. That ball in the photo I posted has probably 14-20 hours of matchplay on it. Also, I noticed that the outside grittiness is not uniform. Certain patches on the surface are more rough than others. You can hear it if you rub the ball against a more consistent surface.

Also, here's another splotch on the same ball:

jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2018 at 6:09pm
I've tried so many times but I can't adapt to the shitty ABS balls. Once I got used to XSF for 3 season I feel this D40+ has a strange low bounce, and you have to change dramatically your game. It's easier for rallying but less effective for topspin game.

Sometimes the bounce is that low that it's literally imposible yo land any topspin on the opponents table because it digs on the net or it bottoms out... and if you're able to do it, It's so ridiculously easy to block, and being blocked what it's useless. You don't need to aware the bat angle, dont worry about this, just only the speed of the ball: slow loops are harder to block than powerloops since there's no friction on your topsheet and it's digs on the net.

It's the perfect ball for beginners and not skilled players... A really frustrating experience :(

Edited by jonyer1980 - 11/12/2018 at 6:15pm
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2018 at 6:19pm
The D40+‘s bounce is much closer to Celluloid than of the seamless balls which bounce higher than and other ball
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic