Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ABS Plastic Balls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2018 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Fabian1890 Fabian1890 wrote:

The D40+‘s bounce is much closer to Celluloid than of the seamless balls which bounce higher than and other ball

I know this but the difference is huge. Nittaku premium has also a lower bounce like cell but it's more pleasant&funnier to play.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Sponsored Links

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2018 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

I've tried so many times but I can't adapt to the shitty ABS balls. Once I got used to XSF for 3 season I feel this D40+ has a strange low bounce, and you have to change dramatically your game. It's easier for rallying but less effective for topspin game.

Sometimes the bounce is that low that it's literally imposible yo land any topspin on the opponents table because it digs on the net or it bottoms out... and if you're able to do it, It's so ridiculously easy to block, and being blocked what it's useless. You don't need to aware the bat angle, dont worry about this, just only the speed of the ball: slow loops are harder to block than powerloops since there's no friction on your topsheet and it's digs on the net.

It's the perfect ball for beginners and not skilled players... A really frustrating experience :(

I'm not sure why you would want to pick on ABS balls specifically. I hate all the plastic balls, which are much easier to block.  I see so many 1100 rated players now who put out their paddles and return even quality loops on the table, just because the balls slow down quicker and spin less with plastic. 

Even if I liked plastic balls, I find it frustrating that they all behave so differently.  You mentioned the high bounce of XSF balls.  I practice my serves to bounce just over the net, but XSF balls bounce higher than, say Nittaku or DHS D40+ balls.  So I have to train for different balls, depending upon what tournament is coming up.

Last week I played with Nittaku balls because that was what they were using in a tournament last weekend.  In a week, I'll be at the NA Teams, so now I need to start training with Joola Prime, which behave differently.

Sadly, all this complaining means nothing.  ITTF really doesn't care and we're stuck with a mess.
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2018 at 7:37pm
I hit regularly with an ex international level player. We generally use NP40+ or DHS D40+. He is over 60 and still spins the crap out of the ABS ball.

His loops and chiquita flick are regularly blocked well off the table by 2K+ players in real game situations. His stroke quality is simply too powerful in speed and spin.

If 1100 players are blocking "quality" loops, then the bar for quality is low.

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2018 at 1:12am
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

I hit regularly with an ex international level player. We generally use NP40+ or DHS D40+. He is over 60 and still spins the crap out of the ABS ball.

His loops and chiquita flick are regularly blocked well off the table by 2K+ players in real game situations. His stroke quality is simply too powerful in speed and spin.

If 1100 players are blocking "quality" loops, then the bar for quality is low.

I wasn't talking about professional loops, which are at a whole different level.  Although with plastic balls, it's hard to see why a 2000+ player can't block a pro loop in drills (it's different in game play).

My point was that with celluloid, an 1100 player couldn't even block a decent 1700 level loop, much less 2000 level, much less 2200+.  With plastic, I regularly see 1100-1300 players at tournaments blocking 1800 loops.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2018 at 2:00am
Same thing happens here. We play national league and events and depending on the event or the local club we have to adapt to every different ball which is a hassle.

Apart from the main 4 different kind of balls (Butterfly, Seamless,Nittaku or ABS) there's also variations coz the same brands something used several different approved ball which makes things even more twisted.

There's Butterfly plastic ball 1st gen, but also "G" or "A" series.

Nittaku Ball but there's the made in China version or the Japanese premium which is different.

Seamed old 1st gen plastic ball which was DHS and an few Euro brands ...

Seamless ball like XSF which is also relabelled by many brands.

ABS like D40 isn now being relabelled by many other brands that co-exist with their seamless version under the same brand name.

It's not enough to know the name of the brand but also to specify which model of the ball: And the worst thing: most of people don't know what are we talking about
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2018 at 3:29am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

I've tried so many times but I can't adapt to the shitty ABS balls. Once I got used to XSF for 3 season I feel this D40+ has a strange low bounce, and you have to change dramatically your game. It's easier for rallying but less effective for topspin game.

Sometimes the bounce is that low that it's literally imposible yo land any topspin on the opponents table because it digs on the net or it bottoms out... and if you're able to do it, It's so ridiculously easy to block, and being blocked what it's useless. You don't need to aware the bat angle, dont worry about this, just only the speed of the ball: slow loops are harder to block than powerloops since there's no friction on your topsheet and it's digs on the net.

It's the perfect ball for beginners and not skilled players... A really frustrating experience :(

Finally someone who gets it.
The problem is the ball loses all its spin on the table surface, except sidespin.
My advice: Try to find tables that have a very non-grippy surface. And beware of new grippy tables. I had a league game with 2 weeks old Tibhar tables and new Gewo Abs balls, and everyone's level degraded by 200 points immediately.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic