Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Spin, placement, speed. Which one will you choose?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Spin, placement, speed. Which one will you choose?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spin, placement, speed. Which one will you choose?
    Posted: 01/09/2018 at 5:45pm
Choose one of the following and why. 

1) A magical autopilot racket that will adjust the racket angle for you. E.G your push will never go to the net, your block will never block out of bound. This only works if you know the spin but not the magnitude of the spin of the ball. If you push a top spin ball, your shots still going to pop or go out of bound; the racket is not going to do the prediction work for you. 

2) A magical sneaker that's going to get you into position you want it to be. Basically you can get to a places where your younger/fitter self would've gotten to. However, if your footwork is wrong that sneaker is not going to do the footwork for you. E.G you move backwards when your opponent do a drop shot; the sneaker is not going to move your legs. 

3) a magical contact lenses that's going to 0.8x the speed of your opponent's shot. 

Edited by hunkeelin - 01/09/2018 at 5:49pm
FH: h3 2.2 39
t05: 2.1
viscaria: 93g
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2018 at 8:20pm
I would take the improved eyesight in all conditions, usually TT halls have pretty bad light conditions for TT... mostly too dark/too bright zones, poor background and floor that reflects light to camouflage the ball when it is not longer contrasted by the table...

If I can see the ball well, I will play to whatever level I can. Sometimes, a brand new ball is easier to see, but that magic wears off after the ball goes through a few matches.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2018 at 9:33pm
Yeah. Big halls have a problem that the walls are often quite a ways away from the wall, either on 1 or both sides.

Huge difference in my playing quality between playing at bigger stadiums vs little ones.

Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2018 at 11:15pm

FdT
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 12:23am
Eye sight is not a problem, whether you see the ball or not it doesn't matter. I used to live with a coach call "zhang di" google it in youtube. He plays with 400 degree short sight no glasses/contact lenses and he is 2500usatt. At home, he can't even see a thing. 

I test the theory by closing one of my eyes while playing. (Our eyes need to see things in different angle for depth perception.) I can still play like it's nothing, the only thing that's annoying me is I have to constantly use my eye muscle to close one eye, I suppose I would  be fine if I have an eye patch on instead. Therefore I conclude that we predict the ball base on our own spin, and the view of opponent's racket not the ball itself. 

Edited by hunkeelin - 01/10/2018 at 12:25am
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 2:51am
Originally posted by hunkeelin hunkeelin wrote:

Eye sight is not a problem, whether you see the ball or not it doesn't matter. I used to live with a coach call "zhang di" google it in youtube. He plays with 400 degree short sight no glasses/contact lenses and he is 2500usatt. At home, he can't even see a thing. 

I test the theory by closing one of my eyes while playing. (Our eyes need to see things in different angle for depth perception.) I can still play like it's nothing, the only thing that's annoying me is I have to constantly use my eye muscle to close one eye, I suppose I would  be fine if I have an eye patch on instead. Therefore I conclude that we predict the ball base on our own spin, and the view of opponent's racket not the ball itself. 
I'm sure you meant no harm with this post, but it leaves me grinding my teeth.  A few years ago I developed vision problems that caused, among other things, the loss of depth perception.  That impact on playing table tennis is huge.  I've bee adjusting my technique to rely less on depth perception, but there is simply no way to play well without it.  It's very frustrating because it causes a lot of problems on even the simplest of shots.

Unless you're a long pips pushblocker, I don't see how you can claim that eyes don't mean anything.  In fact, they are the one physical aspect (besides your brain) that is absolutely required for table tennis.
Danthespearton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danthespearton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 3:05am
The first one. Then I can have a higher percentage of shots going in xdxdxd lol
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 4:16am
2. Footwork is all that's important.
(\__/)
(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,
(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 5:04am
I'll opt for the third option since being able to read the spin of the ball and dealing with the speed will more or less eliminate the need of the first two suggestions
4x Hallmark Carbon Extreme
FH: RakzaX, TG3 NEO,
BH: any fast and light rubber
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

I'm sure you meant no harm with this post, but it leaves me grinding my teeth.  A few years ago I developed vision problems that caused, among other things, the loss of depth perception.  That impact on playing table tennis is huge.  I've bee adjusting my technique to rely less on depth perception, but there is simply no way to play well without it.  It's very frustrating because it causes a lot of problems on even the simplest of shots.

Unless you're a long pips pushblocker, I don't see how you can claim that eyes don't mean anything.  In fact, they are the one physical aspect (besides your brain) that is absolutely required for table tennis.

Then I don't know. I think the mentality of losing depth perception as a handicap is more of a problem than the actually losing depth perception. Yes when i close one eyes I need to adjust a little because i got a bigger blind spot but I have no problem finding the ball at high speed(I was surprise at first, i was like "wth.. i didn't even see the ball properly but somehow my hit my racket"). Me and zhang di are both offensive 2 wing player. 

Edited by hunkeelin - 01/10/2018 at 1:04pm
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 1:19pm

Then I don't know. I think the mentality of losing depth perception as a handicap is more of a problem than the actually losing depth perception. Yes when i close one eyes I need to adjust a little because i got a bigger blind spot but I have no problem finding the ball at high speed(I was surprise at first, i was like "wth.. i didn't even see the ball properly but somehow my hit my racket"). Me and zhang di are both offensive 2 wing player. 
I'm an offensive two wing player, so that's not the issue.  In fact, fast balls are usually less of a problem because they're predictable.  Slow balls, balls with heavy side spin, floaters, those are much harder.  In fact, doing drills aren't a problem, but game play is, especially if you're opponent knows you have a depth perception problem and they play to it.

Trust me, there is nothing mental about this problem. In fact, I know a retired professional player with the same vision problem and he's made the same observations.
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 5:35pm
3. because with faster than normal vision, you'd be able to anticipate your opponents shot earlier, and move earlier to where you need to be.

at least that's how I interpret what the OP meant by "0.8 X" the speed of opponents shot. ie "Matrix bullet time"

Perhaps OP needs to clarify.

FdT
coffeeholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coffeeholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 7:05pm
#1, I will become blocking master and follow in the footsteps of Waldner/Niwa. 2 winged loopers will go out of style, ushering an era of chop blocks and lots of misdirection
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha | Yasaka Rakza 7 | Xiom OmegaIV Euro
Rubbers don't offer control. YOU are the control!
GrantB View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrantB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 11:30am
I think you all are missing the point.  Vision is a big issue.  Therefore we should have brightly colored balls.  I suggest about four colors.  The tournament director could choose one to all four based on venue lighting.  Players could then rank their color choice.  The first color to match your opponents choice is the ball color for the match.  Let's say the colors are white, green (bright), pink and orange.  Then you would post p,o,w,g as your choices.  If your opponent had g,w o, p then the ball color is 'o'.  As a senior player I find I lose the ball in the light shining on the table or floor where a hot pink ball would be so much better.  I've colored some and everyone seems to like them better.  

Your serve...    
Grant
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 1:56pm
I miss a bit Orange Balls!!!
lol
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 1:58pm

Choose one of the following and why. 

1) A magical autopilot racket that will adjust the racket angle for you. E.G your push will never go to the net, your block will never block out of bound. This only works if you know the spin but not the magnitude of the spin of the ball. If you push a top spin ball, your shots still going to pop or go out of bound; the racket is not going to do the prediction work for you. 

2) A magical sneaker that's going to get you into position you want it to be. Basically you can get to a places where your younger/fitter self would've gotten to. However, if your footwork is wrong that sneaker is not going to do the footwork for you. E.G you move backwards when your opponent do a drop shot; the sneaker is not going to move your legs. 

3) a magical contact lenses that's going to 0.8x the speed of your opponent's shot. 

#1 = Isn't that just sunbaked LP on both sides

#2 - Isn't that just starting training at age 5 in China

#3 - I think Goggle augmented reality glasses will have this in the next 6 months

Mark - Who with all 3 above might reach 1900 rating.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 6:41pm
4x Hallmark Carbon Extreme
FH: RakzaX, TG3 NEO,
BH: any fast and light rubber
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic