tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

6 player tournament

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yentakaren View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yentakaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 player tournament
    Posted: 01/09/2018 at 8:47pm
We are a senior citizen mobile home park and are setting up a ping pong tournament. We have it set up in Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. The Advanced section has 6 players and we can't figure out how we would do it with 6 players. We know how to do it with 4, 8, etc. How can we set it up and come out with it being fair (i.e. all the players play the same amount of time)? This will probably my only question.
YK
vanjr View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2018 at 8:50pm
Everyone plays each other (round robin).
Sword Yokahama Yue or Gambler Fire Dragon FLC or AVX J power or ?. Double inverted. Red on one side and black on the other. I can't seem to commit....
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yentakaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2018 at 9:13pm
What if two or 3 people have the same score?
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yentakaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2018 at 9:20pm
Is this a good template for the 6 player ping pong tournament?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/700732023240723308/

YK
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2018 at 9:24pm
If you do not have the time or tables for all the matches in a 6 person round robin you can split it up.  2 groups of 3.  Each player plays 2 matches in their RR group.  The winners of each group then have a match to determine overall winner.

For reference 6 man RR has 15 matches that need to be played.

For the split RR groups you play 6 RR matches (3 per group) + 1 finals match = 7 total matches

If you go with split RR groups it would be good to put the two best players in separate groups if you clearly know who they are or have ratings to go by.

Mark

mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2018 at 9:35pm
That is a good round robin plan for 6 players.

Be sure you record the scores in each match because that is how you calculate tie-breakers in case two or more players have the same won lost record.

If 2 players tie, then the winner of the match between them is the overall winner.

If 3 or more players tie you take all the matches the tied players played with each other.  Then calculate the games won % (games won/(games won+games lost)) for each player.  Highest percentage wins.

Mark
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2018 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

If you do not have the time or tables for all the matches in a 6 person round robin you can split it up.  2 groups of 3.  Each player plays 2 matches in their RR group.  The winners of each group then have a match to determine overall winner.

For the split RR groups you play 6 RR matches (3 per group) + 1 finals match = 7 total matches

If you go with split RR groups it would be good to put the two best players in separate groups if you clearly know who they are or have ratings to go by.

Mark

giving possibly the best answer and teaching at the same time, wow!

Edited by fatt - 01/09/2018 at 9:40pm
rl gear
( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•)
my feedback
vanjr View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Mark

giving possibly the best answer and teaching at the same time, wow!

Yeah, but he ugly.
Sword Yokahama Yue or Gambler Fire Dragon FLC or AVX J power or ?. Double inverted. Red on one side and black on the other. I can't seem to commit....
alphapong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 11:15pm

If you are not sure who your 2 best players are, you could advance 2 from each RR group.

Your semi matches would be Group A 1st vs Group B 2nd and Group A 2nd vs Group B 1st.
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 12:43am
Originally posted by alphapong alphapong wrote:

If you are not sure who your 2 best players are, you could advance 2 from each RR group.

Your semi matches would be Group A 1st vs Group B 2nd and Group A 2nd vs Group B 1st.

Oh you copied that from vince64 lol j/k
rl gear
( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•)
my feedback
TT newbie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 1:50am
Originally posted by alphapong alphapong wrote:

Yes, this is the right thing, always 2 players of each group must qualify. And always groups of 3 players maximum, no matter the amount of players.
Example: if there are 8 players, there should be 2 groups of 3 players and 1 group of 2 players (both players automatically qualify but they must play to determine who will be 1st of the group).
And then eliminatory draw will be like:

1A
BYE
2B
2C

2A
1C
BYE
1B

I have draw system for 2 until 16 groups. 
With 2 groups players go directly into semifinals after RR.
With 3 and 4 groups players go to quarterfinals.
From 5 to 8 groups they go to Round of 16.
And from 9 to 16 groups they go to Round of 32.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 1:56am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

This is the worst system possible. Takes too much time.
vanjr View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 8:18am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Pardon me, it us the best system ever. It allows players to get the most matches AND takes this most time. This is a table tennis board, Mr. Newbie.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 8:53am

Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Pardon me, it us the best system ever. It allows players to get the most matches AND takes this most time. This is a table tennis board, Mr. Newbie.
I see you never organized a full tournament in one day with multiples categories and having only 1 table available for a 6 players group.
Here where I organize it, tournament usually starts around 10 a.m. and there´s a break for lunch. If I put 6 players to play each other in one table, around 3 p.m. everybody is blaming me for it taking so long.
But if you have multiples tables available it´s not bad at all, I´d say it´s even more fair.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic