FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

IQ UL replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nutriment6464 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IQ UL replacement
    Posted: 01/10/2018 at 4:11pm
So I've recently picked table tennis again after several years of not playing, and I'm back in love again. I glued a h3 neo on an old galaxy k-4 blade I had for the forehand and used an old IQ UL sheet for the backhand (I think it was not the hardest one sold but just below, can't remember which hardness exactly). While I love this setup the IQ UL has started tearing and I think it's simply past its prime. I was going to order some new sheets from cole but I noticed the rubber is now discontinued. So now I'm not really up-to-date with rubbers and stuff (I usually buy chinese stuff because it's cheaper, but I'm open to euro/jap stuff too, as long as it's not 60+ cad per sheet). What are your recommendations for something that plays like the IQ UL nowadays? I think cole might still have the non-UL version, but I don't know if it plays the same (plus if it's really heavier than that's a no go for me with my already heavy k4+h3 neo). My playstyle is pretty much looping from both sides close to mid distance from the table, but I also love blocking with the IQ UL on the BH.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links

vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 6:23pm
email cole and ask him. he is always helpful.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 7:22pm
I have some scraps but sadly the qc took a nosedive and now discontinued. Not sure what becoming of Dawei. Some other brands too.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 10:41pm
Thanks for the replies guys! What would you suggest as a cheap similar alternative cole?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 10:49pm
I seem to be swing more repeat on defender. Or illumina soft. Not not everybody likes it the same. The Ul sponge was very airy.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 10:49pm
Some of the other ones like ficus 3 that people have uaed aren't available either.

Edited by cole_ely - 01/10/2018 at 10:50pm

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2018 at 11:06pm
Cole's 999 topsheet glued to whatever good sponge on hand has always been a good choice for allround OFF play leaning towards control.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 11:22pm
But the Ul version means they probably want the thinner top, if just for weight.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2018 at 9:31am
Exactly. Does any of you guys know how focus III plays? What's the difference between normal and (snipe?) versions? It doesn't have to be exactly like IQ UL, so I'm open to suggestions. I think I might have a spare air illumina red rubber I bought from cole a while ago laying around somewhere, so I might give this a go meanwhile.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2018 at 9:39am
I don't think you can find any focus3 around, much less the older kind. The focus 1 and 2 were thicker tops as I remember. Tackier.

vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2018 at 12:08pm
I have a brand new, in package sheet of focus snipe. We need a trading house for rubber. That said, coles illumina likely is ypur best option. If your rubber is several years old and not in the package i would buy a new sheet.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2018 at 1:45pm
Haha I would gladly trade if I had anything still in decent condition, but after all those years it not likely. I have a sheet of CJ8000 biotech in 36-38 deg red and a sheet air scirocco that I never tried though (still in package). 

As for the focus III, from what I understand the "snipe" version is the "newer" one right? Maybe that's why you can't find the old one anymore... 
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2018 at 2:16pm
I wouldn't know where to find either.  Zeropong has been out for maybe more than a year.

sspark80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sspark80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2018 at 2:52pm
Megaspin has Focus 3 Snipe; I just checked.  I tried to buy some a couple months ago and they were out of stock, but they have it listed now.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2018 at 4:28pm
I would check before ordering, as zeropong is still out and that's where Gunther gets it too.

vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/13/2018 at 12:00am
The other problem with finding a rare sheet is that you will need to replace it one day. Probably best to stay with something available. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2018 at 10:35am
Quick update, I ended up gluing a focus III snipe sheet I got from aliexpress last week. First of all there's really a lot of control, I find opening long serves on the backhand to be much easier with this sheet. It's softer than my IQ UL, a tad less spinny but it has a lot of control and good enough speed for close to the table punches and drives. I find it lacks a bit of power for mid/far away from the table backhand loops but for now I think it's a fine replacement because I just love how easy it is to control close to the table.

I don't mind practicing my technique with this tiny bit slower setup and find something a bit faster/more powerful when this sheet will die on me. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation guys, I would also recommend this to players looking for a soft sponge euro/jap topsheet with a lot of control for very cheap.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic