Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bat, racket or paddle - what do you call it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bat, racket or paddle - what do you call it?
    Posted: 01/14/2018 at 4:43pm
I've always wondered where the different terminology comes from. As far as I know, most people in my region (South Australia) call them table tennis bats.

What do you call them in your region?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Sponsored Links

siestakey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siestakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2018 at 5:21pm
   Blade !
Siesta Key
W968
Omega Tour 7 i
Medax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2018 at 5:44pm
In my local league we call it a bat (UK).

When I am buying new equipment for myself, I call the middle bit (wood or composite) the blade and the whole thing a bat.

I've never called it a paddle though, is that more an American term?

Being curious I wondered what Wikipedia said....

"The ITTF uses the term "racket",[27] though "bat" is common in Britain, and "paddle" in the U.S. and Canada."
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2018 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Medax Medax wrote:

"The ITTF uses the term "racket",[27] though "bat" is common in Britain, and "paddle" in the U.S. and Canada."

Interesting... makes you wonder why the ITTF would choose a terms that's not the common term used in the biggest english-speaking countries.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2018 at 6:17pm
Paddle

Edited by mon22 - 01/14/2018 at 6:18pm
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2018 at 7:03pm
As far as I have been able to figure out:

Blade: the wooden part, usually constructed from several layers of wood and sometimes with carbon layers or other composites.

Racket/paddle: The blade plus the two rubbers glued to the blade. The complete assembly.

Nobody has really come out and defined the terms clearly.

FdT
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2018 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

As far as I have been able to figure out:

Blade: the wooden part, usually constructed from several layers of wood and sometimes with carbon layers or other composites.

Racket/paddle: The blade plus the two rubbers glued to the blade. The complete assembly.

Nobody has really come out and defined the terms clearly.

FdT

Yes I agree with that, but what do you call it in your region, a bat, racket or paddle?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2018 at 7:56pm
Denmark: bat

Just to increase the confusion - translated, the blade is called "bat-wood', irrespective of its nature (all-wood or composite). 

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 01/14/2018 at 7:57pm
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2018 at 8:38pm
Wood without rubber = blade
Wood with rubber = bat

I always felt the shape reassembled a racket but then if you think about it one potentially characterizing trait of a racket is the strings which tt doesn't have.

Region is New Zealand.
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2018 at 10:53pm
"Yes I agree with that, but what do you call it in your region, a bat, racket or paddle?"

"Racket". In Canada I have never heard anybody talking about a "bat" while talking about tt. "Bats" are used in baseball and Cricket. "Paddle" and "racket" are used interchangeably. 

FdT

Edited by Fulanodetal - 01/14/2018 at 10:54pm
Chicobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2018 at 11:08pm
Mainly paddle. Some international students call them bats. I think racket is the rarest form, usually implying tennis, badminton, or racketball/squash.

Southern USA
Stiga Genesis x2 on Nexy Rubicon
Galaxy Moon/Air Illumina Alpha on Andro Temper Tech Off-
USATT 1620...Learning to play vs long pips
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2018 at 4:50am
Where I grew up it is called "matka".

Edit: ok fine, racket.

Edited by Lightzy - 01/15/2018 at 4:51am
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2018 at 7:00am
In India, some call it a bat and some call it a racket. Cricket and badmiton are the two dominant sports in India. All those people who are gravitated towards Cricket call it a bat while the ones who like badminton more call it racket.

Since cricket is also a common and appreciated sport in countries like UK, Australia and New Zealand, they prefer to use the word "bat".
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
slaplink_pat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaplink_pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2018 at 7:18am
racket - Philippines
Blade: Xiom AZX
FH: Xiom Omega VII China Guang
BH: DHS PF4

Blade: Donic Alligator Combi
FH: TIbhar MXP
BH: Spinlord Zeitgeist
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2018 at 8:17pm
In my country the usual term is bat, but I have heard somebody called it as frame, but this is rare. Racket is more used for badminton, tennis and squash. The term paddle makes me think to an oar to paddle a canoe Big smile
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2018 at 8:48pm
I taught PE for 28 years. The way I always helped my students get it was ...if it has strings it is a racket, so we have tennis rackets and badminton rackets and squash rackets.  If no strings then it is a paddle (solid) so table tennis paddle and there is a game called paddleball where you hit a tennis ball with a solid, no strings, paddle. Sometime in paddleball there are holes drilled through the wood paddle to make it lighter but it should still be called a paddle because no strings.   The term bat comes from baseball and cricket and is incorrect but often used in table tennis.  
  One final example in racketball why do they call it a "racket"  The critical component is the strings.Wink
Joe B   BBC Hinoki/carbon
            BBC Hinoki

shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2018 at 1:37am
Racquet
col6628 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote col6628 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2018 at 6:35am
blade, with rubbers on bat
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2018 at 7:57am
It's a bat, but trying to find the right one is a racket.
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2018 at 1:40pm
if someone usually asks me at tournament... They usually say:
"What blade do you use" or "What racket you play with" Nobody ever asked me what BAT or PADDLE do you use...

That being sad here is different websites, and how they call them:
megaspin.com (Racket) blade w/rubbers
paddlepalace.com (Paddle) blade w/rubbers
butterflyonline.com (Racket) blade w/rubbers
tabletennis11.com (Racket) blade w/rubbers
stigatabletennis.com (Bat) blade w/rubbers
tibhar.de (Bat) blade w/rubbers

I rather just like to stick to BLADE as referring to wood and RUBBER

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic