Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can someone compare Nexy Karis M to Xiom Vega Pro?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can someone compare Nexy Karis M to Xiom Vega Pro?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can someone compare Nexy Karis M to Xiom Vega Pro?
    Posted: 01/19/2018 at 4:08am
Thanks
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2018 at 12:41pm
Karis M is slower and in many ways more control oriented - some people find it too slow but its overwhelming feature is extreme linearity and control on all shots, both flat and spin.  Therefore, almost all outputs are highly correlated to the inputs.  It lacks catapult but this just means you can loop with more open paddles when you want more speed given how linear it is.

Vega Pro is the usual tensor - it is definitely faster than Karis M on most strokes and spinnier for most basic techniques.  But it definitely doesn't have the same level of control because it does have a larger catapult.

If you are trying to overwhelm your opponent with spin and speed, Karis M is not for you. Pick Vega Pro.

If you want to remain extremely consistent against all kinds of shots and don't mind generating your own spin and speed when necessary, take Karis M.

I suspect given your aversion to MX-S, you won't like Karis M.  But Karis M is not as heavy as MX-S, but it is heavier than its power output would predict if you think in terms of tensors.

Edited by NextLevel - 01/19/2018 at 12:42pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2018 at 2:59am
Rambo could loop with Karis M, but NL articulates the properties very well. Karis M takes a LOT good bat speed and control of impact to make overwhelming spin. It handles incoming topspin so well, you want to counter topspin whatever comes at you... and you can land it. The best property I see gets the most points and is the least sexiest of any... the ability to land the ball on the table.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2018 at 12:27pm
" you want to counter topspin whatever comes at you... and you can land it. " Amen!

Using Karis M now for 6 months I find its speed more then adequate but also have worked on my forehand form primarily doing regular shadow work.    Given the physical properties of the new plastic ball placing emphasis on generating overwhelming spin appears counter productive. I noticed recently that I as using more topspin/no spin serves to quickly generate a rally as my counter topspin game has significantly improved and until I read your reply to NL I had not connected that to Karis M.
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2018 at 1:18pm
They are both non tacky, post speed glue rubbers.  They are both appropriate for a spinny offensive game.  But other than that it's pretty much apples and oranges IMO.  I'm with NL: linearity vs catapult is one of the more striking differences.  

Also, I find Karis M quite a bit softer than VP.  (Maybe M+ is closer to VP in hardness?  Not sure, I haven't tried M+.)

With that in mind I'm curious about what makes you interested in comparing them.  Is it because VP is also sometimes described as having good "control" (and moderate spin sensitivity) for a spinny offensive rubber? (I see where people are coming from when they say such things about VP.  It's speed, for one thing, doesn't get out of hand when the catapult kicks in.  But other aspects of its behavior change *a lot* with the catapult..)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic