Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tibhar Genius - I love where it started.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tibhar Genius - I love where it started.
    Posted: 01/21/2018 at 10:06pm
Hello Kind Folks-

I'm an emerging intermediate, offense-oriented allrounder and have tried quite a bit of gear in the past six months.

My favorite racket to date is a Tibhar Stratus Powerwood with a Tibar Genius 2.0 on FH.  I loved the Genius at first!  After about six hours, it broke-in and has become something less controllable. I still like it; it's still my go-to racket, but I wish it would play like it did in the first few matches.  Genius is a fairly hard rubber (47.5 sponge) and that would put in a category where it is more prone to change over time.

So...I'm looking for a rubber that will play (long term) like the Tibhar Genius before it is broken in.  My guess is that the topsheet (mostly) has softened up on the Genius after a few hours. I'm thinking that, based on better speed numbers, that either the slighltly faster rated Tibhar Aurus or Aurus Select might play like a new Genius AFTER either is broken in..?

Please let me know what you think!

Edited by 6stringer - 01/21/2018 at 10:55pm
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
Sponsored Links

Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2018 at 3:11am
Some controll oriented players in Thai national competition use blue fire m2 on both side, apart from agressive set up in most players.

Edited by Crowsfeather - 01/22/2018 at 3:12am
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2018 at 7:17am
Mxs
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2018 at 10:34am
I don't know what you mean by you lose control after breaking the rubber in, but the most similar rubbers to Tibhar Genius are Andro Hexer and Donic Baracuda. Hexer has softer topsheet, Baracuda harder topsheet. They all have same sponge. But to me, Genius is the best of them and a very controlable rubber. In fact, I play Genius on BH instead of Baracuda because of better control. So it's hard to understand what you mean when you say you lack control. Maybe you should just get something softer. Aurus has a signifcantly lower trajectory btw.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2018 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by 6stringer 6stringer wrote:

Hello Kind Folks-

I'm an emerging intermediate, offense-oriented allrounder and have tried quite a bit of gear in the past six months.

My favorite racket to date is a Tibhar Stratus Powerwood with a Tibar Genius 2.0 on FH.  I loved the Genius at first!  After about six hours, it broke-in and has become something less controllable. I still like it; it's still my go-to racket, but I wish it would play like it did in the first few matches.  Genius is a fairly hard rubber (47.5 sponge) and that would put in a category where it is more prone to change over time.

So...I'm looking for a rubber that will play (long term) like the Tibhar Genius before it is broken in.  My guess is that the topsheet (mostly) has softened up on the Genius after a few hours. I'm thinking that, based on better speed numbers, that either the slighltly faster rated Tibhar Aurus or Aurus Select might play like a new Genius AFTER either is broken in..?

Please let me know what you think!

MX-S or MX-P.  That kind of use of the topsheet doesn't last that long in most rubbers but it lasts the longest in those 2 AFAIK.  Better to just fix your looping technique.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2018 at 1:22pm
I as always, would suggest you try fastarc-g1, which is from the same generation
Tyler45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyler45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2018 at 1:35pm
or fastarc c-1 which is a bit softer than g-1. have switched from evolution el-s 1 month ago.

it is light (i save 3 gr per side compared to evolution el-s) and imho the spin is the same. i find it quite predictable and have got used to easily. i also play on an all wood blade. 
6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2018 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

I don't know what you mean by you lose control after breaking the rubber in, but the most similar rubbers to Tibhar Genius are Andro Hexer and Donic Baracuda. Hexer has softer topsheet, Baracuda harder topsheet. They all have same sponge. But to me, Genius is the best of them and a very controlable rubber. In fact, I play Genius on BH instead of Baracuda because of better control. So it's hard to understand what you mean when you say you lack control. Maybe you should just get something softer. Aurus has a significantly lower trajectory btw.

Post break-in...Let me just say that I've had a more difficult time getting smashes/hard shots on the table. Genius definitely became something different after the first few hours although the short game/soft shots don't seem much different. It could be more catapult when/because the sponge is more engaged? I don't know...it be could just as easily be the sponge gets softer.  I haven't played with such a hard sponge (47.5) before so I didn't know what to expect.  BTW- I don't like the Genius Sound on the Stratus Powerwood very much; apparently Tibhar doesn't either (it has been discontinued).

Edited by 6stringer - 01/22/2018 at 8:53pm
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2018 at 7:09pm
Sorry, but I'm pretty much sure that the root of your problem is a technique issue.
To me the rubber never played differently over the course of its life.
6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2018 at 8:58pm

Sorry, but I'm pretty much sure that the root of your problem is a technique issue.
To me the rubber never played differently over the course of its life.

I'm sure you're absolutely right!  Rubber never changes over time, especially hard rubber and you're obviously an authority on both equipment and my game.  Thanks for your insight- it's been so helpful!

Edited by 6stringer - 01/22/2018 at 9:04pm
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2018 at 10:07pm
I'm not sure as to how to respond to that.
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2018 at 12:09am
I love Genius and its spin capability. I also like some rubbers which would be capable replacement for Genius. These rubbers are Andro Hexer HD, Tibhar 5Q and 1Q (less spin more speed), Acuda S2, FastArc G1 and let's not forget T05 which beats all the other rubbers I've mentioned in durability and spin potential (I know some will disagree he he). Just sharing my experience and thoughts, whatever its worth.
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2018 at 4:39am
Give Aurus Prime a try, it's really good for high level and developing players alike!! Plays like MXP but has more soak and is just great for open rallies and touchy shots like flicks :) Good luck
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2018 at 10:18am

Just "you are welcome"
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2018 at 10:27am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Just "you are welcome"

... Obviously not.
Try reading his post again. It's way too hyperbolic to not be suspicious of irony.
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2018 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Give Aurus Prime a try, it's really good for high level and developing players alike!! Plays like MXP but has more soak and is just great for open rallies and touchy shots like flicks :) Good luck

Sorry for intruding on someone else thread but how durable is AP? How long till the booster wears off and the rubber starts playing differently? And does it shrink on re-glueing like MX-P?

Thanks
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2018 at 8:19pm

What do you mean by "has more soak"?  I am not familiar with that terminology in reference to TT rubbers.

Mark
6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2018 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Knuckle Ball Knuckle Ball wrote:

I love Genius and its spin capability. I also like some rubbers which would be capable replacement for Genius. These rubbers are Andro Hexer HD, Tibhar 5Q and 1Q (less spin more speed), Acuda S2, FastArc G1 and let's not forget T05 which beats all the other rubbers I've mentioned in durability and spin potential (I know some will disagree he he). Just sharing my experience and thoughts, whatever its worth.

I especially love how much spin I can generate on serve with Genius.  Genius and Vega Europe are highest on that scale of all those I've tried.  Another one high on my radar is Donic Acuda Blue P2.

I see you're using a Joola Rossi Emotion!  That blade is on my short list! That would another thread (there's already a 17 page thead on the Rossi Emotion).  Rossi Emotion with Tenergy 05 seems really interesting.

For this thread, I think I'm looking for a Genius with a harder topsheet to pair up with my Tibhar Stratus Powerwood.  Genius with very slightly harder sponge could also fit the bill but that would be more difficult to find.

Edited by 6stringer - 01/25/2018 at 6:35pm
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2018 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

What do you mean by "has more soak"?  I am not familiar with that terminology in reference to TT rubbers.

Mark

Bascially you get the feeling that the ball stays on the rubber longer and yu dont have to be super precise with your stroke and can execute it with a bigger margin for error. A brand new mx-p or a t05 catapult the ball as soon as it comes in contact with it, hence a little mistake on the timing or contacting the ball a bit more 'harder' than required can send the ball flying out.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2018 at 9:52pm
MX-P is too much for me right now.  Give me six months...

A guy in our club has a two Tibar Stratus PowerWoods.  One with MX-P on both sides and one with FX-P...he's lethal with both rackets but I think even better with FX-P at this point.  He got the MX-P later and I think that racket helped him get even more control with the FX-P racket.

Edited by 6stringer - 01/23/2018 at 10:35pm
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
6stringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2018 at 9:57pm

Man... I've been researching Aurus Select.  On paper, Aurus Prime seems too fast for me on this blade.  Considering my bad-to-deplorable technique and all, I could have a hard time with Aurus Prime catapult (even on a semi-fast blade).  However, I have mastered my famous "backhand push off the table" shot and this could make me one of the best in the region at that one. Big smile

Your post gets the gears turning (no pun intended).  It definitely makes me want to try Aurus Prime at some point.
Advanced Intermediate
St. Louis, MO - USA
Nittaku Acoustic
FH - Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH - Rakza 7
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2018 at 3:26am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Mark
Hi,

The feeling is that the ball soaks into the sponge more and you get more mechanical spin from the sponge, it's an acquired taste/preference compared to T05/MXP but I really love it for my backhand.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2018 at 4:04am
Perhaps "has more bite"?
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2018 at 4:06am
Originally posted by 6stringer 6stringer wrote:

Man... I've been researching Aurus Select.  On paper, Aurus Prime seems too fast for me on this blade.  Considering my bad-to-deplorable technique and all, I could have a hard time with Aurus Prime catapult (even on a semi-fast blade).  However, I have mastered my famous "backhand push off the table" shot and this could make me one of the best in the region at that one. Big smile

Your post gets the gears turning (no pun intended).  It definitely makes me want to try Aurus Prime at some point.
If you can get Aurus Prime from inamiken for like $30 then you should defo try it...

It isn't as fast as MXP and for more is more controllable and linear than 05... Not sure if I prefer this feeling for my FH as I like a very spinny arcy rubber but it's so good for BH, can basically counter anything off the bounce unlike 05 which requires angle and more feeling against spinny shots
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2019 at 3:32pm
Has anyone heard before for Tibhar Genius Supreme? It seems like a rubber for Indian market.

Edited by Ray - 12/15/2019 at 3:33pm
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic