FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Can butterfly do this in Customs?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can butterfly do this in Customs?!
    Posted: 02/02/2018 at 9:54am
I sold my bazelart ST to a gentleman in Germany few weeks ago, and just received his email stating:

Hello Mon,
i went to customs and held the blade in my hands for 15 seconds to Identity it as my ordered item, then customs told me that 'butterfly' filed a lawsuit against imports of fake products and now they (customs) have to send it to butterfly Europe. They shall decide of its a fake or if they give it free. I tried to explain that it's a used item, but obviously that didnt interest them very much. Butterfly is able to deny any Import of items with the butterfly Brand on it.
Now i'm pretty insecure if i will ever see the Blade again.
So far
Best regards
Sandro

I sent as a GIFT OPTION

What the heck man
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2018 at 10:01am
It happened with me when I bought a genuine Mizuno TT shoe from a reliable oversea store and Brazil Customs contacted Mizuno Brazil to check it and they declared it a fake product! I lost my shoe..
Rhyzer /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Rhyzer
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2018 at 11:04am
hey mon, do you have the original receipt when you bought the item? Might be the only document to prove the item is genuine, depending on who the seller was. If its available.

FdT
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2018 at 11:19am
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

It happened with me when I bought a genuine Mizuno TT shoe from a reliable oversea store and Brazil Customs contacted Mizuno Brazil to check it and they declared it a fake product! I lost my shoe..

I hope you informed Mizuno Japan HQ about that.
Life is too short for defensive play.

spinnier.com
fb.me/spinnier
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2018 at 11:20am
I don't have the receipt because I got the blade from someone here awhile back

I'm worried that he might file a dispute with PayPal and I lose $150 and my blade

Seller felt more comfortable sending money as purchase/merchandise vs gift

I've never had issues so I was ok
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2018 at 11:30am
But if they are seeing if it's a genuine product

Then they should return it. And I have no doubt it is a genuine product

It played the same as my old bazelart and Timo Boll spark
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2018 at 11:35am
I'm surprised at how German customs was aware of a table tennis brand and even more surprised that they are aware of the counterfeit problem.  I mean, I can understand if they knew about fake Nike shoes or Gucci purses or Fender guitars but Butterfly? Maybe it was the value declared.  I can't confirm but I think I remember someone posting that they were able to get around this by writing that it was a "gift".

Also, when shipping internationally, it's always good to inform the buyer that when it arrives in their country, anything that happens after that is on them.  

I hope everything works out.
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2018 at 11:58am
Customs most likely will focus on an issue if company in question makes a stink about it. So, I suspect Butterfly etc. made enough of a fuss for them to pay attention - probably TT equipment is on a 'list of items to be checked' somewhere.
USATT: ~1900
Donic Defplay - AK47 blue - Dtecs OX
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2018 at 1:28pm
Makes me want to buy Butterfly products even less than before. Not that they care much about that, I am sure...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2018 at 1:31pm
The biggest problems we have in the For Sale section here are with sales overseas and often it is stuff like this where nobody is at fault.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2018 at 2:11pm
This really sucks for both the seller and the buyer.
Granted, Im assuming the item is genuine in this case.
Why shouldnt we be able to sell our used equipment?

Ouch

I can hear the counter argument already....'its to protect the buyer from counterfeits....blah blah blah.'

Keep us posted.

FdT
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2018 at 2:21pm
Tax and custom is buyer’s responsibilities.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2018 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Tax and custom is buyer’s responsibilities.

Of course, AND it is good to remind people of that.  But the question is what happens when stuff gets delayed at borders, lost by mail services in buyer's countries, etc.  Seller should use tracking, insure packages, etc. but even then stuff happens.

I personally avoid overseas transactions in our Buy/Sell section because of all this.  It magnifies the risk and is a hassle.

I have to say that this is the first time I have ever heard of something like this happening.  Is it going to be just Butterfly or all sorts of other goods?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2018 at 3:43pm
One last thing.

DOn't ever agree to use the friends and family option.
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2018 at 3:59pm
yes it is their to pay for but this is about customs seizing items
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2018 at 5:02pm
"yes it is their to pay for but this is about customs seizing items"

I suppose this is a question for a lawyer really.
Obviously calling a lawyer over a $100 may be a bad idea, but it would be nice to know what recourse does one have in these cases. Customs seizing an item just because they can without reimbursement to the owner? WTF?!?

FdT
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2018 at 5:41pm
Under customs paperwork

I declared gift

And "table tennis paddle"

I also had tracking

I feel really bad for my buyer. He has been looking for a bazelart for awhile
arg0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2018 at 5:56pm
Did you use traceable shipping? What does it say about the parcel location?
I suggest to print the current status, in case of a Paypal dispute.
Good luck!
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2018 at 5:58pm
I do not think he will dispute it on PayPal

I feel that this guy is very genuine and I'm honestly sad about this misfortune

But thank you for the advice

MTMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2018 at 6:34pm
Please keep us update. Though I don't have personal investment in your situation, I am very sorry to hear of your situation and also would very much like to know how this ends. 
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2018 at 2:07am
I am really sorry for what happened to you!
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2018 at 2:15am
I have just registered a DBA (Doing Business As ) for "Rolls Royce, USA.  Additionally I have informed US Customs that do to the number of fake cars being imported to the US we are requesting that they confiscate any so called Rolls Royce vehicles being imported.  I further informed them that we would be glad to ship such vehicles back to our facility in order to verify authenticity.

Mark  - Hoping to be driving a very nice new car soon

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2018 at 9:33am
Originally posted by passifid passifid wrote:

yes it is their to pay for but this is about customs seizing items

Yes. But buyers have to pay duties or tarifs charged at their border and so have to assume risk of other things their country's customs might do. I also wrote that this new twist of seizure at the border is an added risk of international buy and sell transactions here that people have to factor in.

I sure hope this is an isolated case.
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2018 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

This really sucks for both the seller and the buyer.
Granted, Im assuming the item is genuine in this case.
Why shouldnt we be able to sell our used equipment?

Ouch

I can hear the counter argument already....'its to protect the buyer from counterfeits....blah blah blah.'

Keep us posted.

FdT

Because we are thieves who would steal potential revenue from poor, destitute Butterfly.
Austin3:16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Austin3:16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2018 at 4:39pm
Just for the record: I am the buyer, finally the blade arrived. 
vanjr View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2018 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Austin3:16 Austin3:16 wrote:

Just for the record: I am the buyer, finally the blade arrived. 

finally some good news on the internet! hope you like the blade.

note to self don't buy butterfly blades
Gambler Hinoki Vector blade; Double inverted.I can't seem to commit....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic