Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tibhar Speedy Soft XD review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tibhar Speedy Soft XD review
    Posted: 02/02/2018 at 4:13pm
I am inverted rubber user on both sides but I am the one in our club who helps others train against long pimples and other non-inverted material. Although short pip players are very rare in our league I thought it would be useful to prepare my teammates against such opponents and as a found out, playing against short pips are a great means to practise timing and playing against a rhythm different that we usually encounter.

In the past I have played with plain Tibhar Speed Soft, I had the opportunity to hit with Xiom Vega SPO and I owned a TSP Spectol. I can compare the XD to these.

As I said above, I play with inverted but I an adapt quickly to other coverings. Of the above, I found the classical TSP Spectol absolutely horrible. I had it in max but - regardless of the thickness - this  experience was enough for me to advise anyone against it who is looking to buy a short pimple covering nowadays.

Contrary to that, the original Speedy Soft was a very refreshing experience. I was able to do with it everything I normally do with inverted, I hardly needed any adaptation. This was about two years ago with the celluloid ball. What I liked most was the very good control in every aspect of the game. The bloke whose I tried said there were trickier short pips around but he loved it because of its control.

Then I had a team mate who had a XIOM Vega SPO. It is a very hard rubber with the usual XIOM black sponge. It is for those who hit hard from the very first moment on and who do not try to float the ball or manipulate the spin in any way, think Matthias Karlsson's forehand. I could play with it but it would not be as pleasurable experience as with the Tibhar XD.

So I bought a sheet of max and put it on a 5-ply allwood blade with  DHS nr 15 wb glue. We tested it mostly with the DHS D40+ from TTNPP.

Right from the first hit I could feel that it is really a soft rubber, considerably softer than the above mentioned XIOM. It works very well with the plastic ball but it is not for the hard hitters. In terms of control I found it to be very good and anyone I have given it to has observed the same and they enjoyed playing with it. It is springy, though, and you need to have good technique to use it to its full potential so it is definitely not for beginners.

On counters it does not do anything dangerous, we could go on as if we were using inverted. After some adjustments, I was able to handle loops with relative ease. After a couple hours of practice I am sure you can learn to spray incoming balls around comfortably.

The quality that stands out is taking the spin off spinny loops. I am convinced that it is suicidal to send spinny loops to the XD. If you do a chopblock on such balls, the ball will suddenly sink about one meter from the table, making it impossible for the opponent to reloop wih power. In such situations the ball returned by the opponent will be a very attackable ball and using the XD it is possible to totally disrupt the rhythm by placing the ball on the two sides of the table. One of my practice partners said the spin from chopblocks is unpredictable.

The only way to beat this short pip is to loop medium to fast paced loops on the XD from within 1,5 meters of the table. If your opponent tends to go beyond that, he risks losing the rally.

If I compare it to the XIOM Vega SP:

Speed: Vega SP is definitely faster
Hardness: Vega SP is harder by a lot
Control: the Tibhar wins by miles
Trickiness: the Tibhar is noticeably more disturbing if spin comes in

The only downside to the Tibhar is the sponge: it is very fragile. If you buy this, be sure to put in on one blade and only remove it when it is completely worn down. According to the package, it is made in Japan. The sponge is yellow and it is nothing like the sponge of the Xiom of other european tensors. Maybe if your blade is lacquered heavily by the factory, you will not tear it but a lot of attention needs to be paid when taking it off a blade.

Compared to the TSP Spectol,  the Tibhar is a lot faster but better in every way in my view / from my perspective as someone who plays inverted.

To summarise, the Speedy Soft XD is a soft, springy rather fast attacking short pip rubber that is very pleasurable to play with. It is not for beginners, you need to be able to do every technique with inverted if you want to use it effectively. Still, in spite of its relatively high speed, it is not a power hitters rubber. I would only use it on the backhand.

A very good rubber from Tibhar.

Edited by Hans Regenkurt - 02/02/2018 at 4:14pm
Sponsored Links

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2018 at 1:11am
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

I am inverted rubber user on both sides but I am the one in our club who helps others train against long pimples and other non-inverted material. Although short pip players are very rare in our league I thought it would be useful to prepare my teammates against such opponents and as a found out, playing against short pips are a great means to practise timing and playing against a rhythm different that we usually encounter.

In the past I have played with plain Tibhar Speed Soft, I had the opportunity to hit with Xiom Vega SPO and I owned a TSP Spectol. I can compare the XD to these.

As I said above, I play with inverted but I an adapt quickly to other coverings. Of the above, I found the classical TSP Spectol absolutely horrible. I had it in max but - regardless of the thickness - this  experience was enough for me to advise anyone against it who is looking to buy a short pimple covering nowadays.

Contrary to that, the original Speedy Soft was a very refreshing experience. I was able to do with it everything I normally do with inverted, I hardly needed any adaptation. This was about two years ago with the celluloid ball. What I liked most was the very good control in every aspect of the game. The bloke whose I tried said there were trickier short pips around but he loved it because of its control.

Then I had a team mate who had a XIOM Vega SPO. It is a very hard rubber with the usual XIOM black sponge. It is for those who hit hard from the very first moment on and who do not try to float the ball or manipulate the spin in any way, think Matthias Karlsson's forehand. I could play with it but it would not be as pleasurable experience as with the Tibhar XD.

So I bought a sheet of max and put it on a 5-ply allwood blade with  DHS nr 15 wb glue. We tested it mostly with the DHS D40+ from TTNPP.

Right from the first hit I could feel that it is really a soft rubber, considerably softer than the above mentioned XIOM. It works very well with the plastic ball but it is not for the hard hitters. In terms of control I found it to be very good and anyone I have given it to has observed the same and they enjoyed playing with it. It is springy, though, and you need to have good technique to use it to its full potential so it is definitely not for beginners.

On counters it does not do anything dangerous, we could go on as if we were using inverted. After some adjustments, I was able to handle loops with relative ease. After a couple hours of practice I am sure you can learn to spray incoming balls around comfortably.

The quality that stands out is taking the spin off spinny loops. I am convinced that it is suicidal to send spinny loops to the XD. If you do a chopblock on such balls, the ball will suddenly sink about one meter from the table, making it impossible for the opponent to reloop wih power. In such situations the ball returned by the opponent will be a very attackable ball and using the XD it is possible to totally disrupt the rhythm by placing the ball on the two sides of the table. One of my practice partners said the spin from chopblocks is unpredictable.

The only way to beat this short pip is to loop medium to fast paced loops on the XD from within 1,5 meters of the table. If your opponent tends to go beyond that, he risks losing the rally.

If I compare it to the XIOM Vega SP:

Speed: Vega SP is definitely faster
Hardness: Vega SP is harder by a lot
Control: the Tibhar wins by miles
Trickiness: the Tibhar is noticeably more disturbing if spin comes in

The only downside to the Tibhar is the sponge: it is very fragile. If you buy this, be sure to put in on one blade and only remove it when it is completely worn down. According to the package, it is made in Japan. The sponge is yellow and it is nothing like the sponge of the Xiom of other european tensors. Maybe if your blade is lacquered heavily by the factory, you will not tear it but a lot of attention needs to be paid when taking it off a blade.

Compared to the TSP Spectol,  the Tibhar is a lot faster but better in every way in my view / from my perspective as someone who plays inverted.

To summarise, the Speedy Soft XD is a soft, springy rather fast attacking short pip rubber that is very pleasurable to play with. It is not for beginners, you need to be able to do every technique with inverted if you want to use it effectively. Still, in spite of its relatively high speed, it is not a power hitters rubber. I would only use it on the backhand.

A very good rubber from Tibhar.

sounds like xd ignore the spin of the incoming loop like beautry and beautry sponge is also brittle. how is the arc of xd? it would be helpful to compare it to moristo waran and 102
Johnny1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2018 at 4:02am
any photo of XD?

1. is it horizontal pips?
2. what is the pips shape?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2018 at 4:50pm
Here is the pic:
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2018 at 4:51pm
And of the sponge:

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2018 at 4:56pm
It was too much on the Clipper, 2.0 seems to be amply enough on faster blades.
Johnny1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2018 at 7:41pm

Here is the pic:

thanks sir.
it stated made in jp. is it not a tensor pips?
how about pips shape?
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2018 at 11:02pm

It was too much on the Clipper, 2.0 seems to be amply enough on faster blades.

why you would use it only for backhand? you forgot to    
rate the spin and if you can open serves
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 1:51pm
@Johnny1996: I do not know whether it is a tensor. If I go by my experiences with TSP Spectol and plain Speedy Soft, compared to those, it is a lot faster and springier, with a lot more speed reserve.

@bbkon: I would use it only on the backhand because the sponge is too soft to start lifting the ball as quickly as I like. There is a slight pause and the the spring effect kicks in. In this short pause I find that balls tend to fall off. I did not have that with the regular Speedy Soft. And overall, I find it too soft for the forehand.

I am putting it on the Sanwei Flextra to see if it behaves better.

Edited by Hans Regenkurt - 02/07/2018 at 1:59pm
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 2:09pm
thanks for the review
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
andzejgolot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andzejgolot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2021 at 5:09pm
very offensive pips, good feeling,  very bad control in blocking 
1,8 is too much and blocking Has very high throw so overshooting is not my favorite part.
Perfect for spin variation so maybe IT is easier to use on slower blade with thin sponge  because it is  very good in  chopping from table to classic defending 2-3 metres away
The sponge is fragile and too easy to destroy

Edited by andzejgolot - 11/12/2021 at 5:13pm
nikos_S View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikos_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2021 at 5:08am
Hi,
Can you make some comparison with Tibhar Speedy soft? I play with it in my backhand and I like it.
I want to buy a new one for my second paddle but I don't want to buy the same.
I'm thinking of XD (but not XD Dtecs).
I want to play table tennis and not to confuse the opponent (of course, if I could do both would be greatSmile)
I bought and tried Palio Power dragon (too hard) and Dr Neubauer Nugget (slow, hard to control top spins).
I also have 802-40. It's quick and spinny but it's close to the inverted and the opponents do not have any difficulty to play against it.

mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2021 at 11:38pm

What other pips  have you tried lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andzejgolot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2021 at 5:10pm
Speedy Soft XD is short pips to defend from distance and punch balls like Li Qian so for me IT is not funny to use if you wants another tensor attacking rakza PO buy Rakza PO. I find very good and easy in chopping adding more help to spin balls and empty balls . I played MMaze so IT is soft off blade with high throw and had feeling like first 20 minutes was difficult  to Control but right now its like tenergy 05 to loopers. Too easy to handle 
And I hate IT 

Edited by andzejgolot - 12/13/2021 at 5:11pm
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2021 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by andzejgolot andzejgolot wrote:

Speedy Soft XD is short pips to defend from distance and punch balls like Li Qian so for me IT is not funny to use if you wants another tensor attacking rakza PO buy Rakza PO. I find very good and easy in chopping adding more help to spin balls and empty balls . I played MMaze so IT is soft off blade with high throw and had feeling like first 20 minutes was difficult  to Control but right now its like tenergy 05 to loopers. Too easy to handle 
And I hate IT 

How is the dtecs version?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andzejgolot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2021 at 4:02pm
d tecs is more punching and the ball, stiffier pips
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic