Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ranking Points question.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Ranking Points question.

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member


Joined: 02/24/2006
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Points: 7158
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ranking Points question.
    Posted: 02/05/2018 at 4:27pm
For the team event, like the upcoming Team World Cup, if a team wins the event, do all team members get the ranking points - even those who did not play?

(You can post any ranking points questions in this thread.)


Edited by skip3119 - 02/05/2018 at 5:45pm
Back to Top
Mytoman View Drop Down
Member
Member


Joined: 05/28/2010
Status: Offline
Points: 56
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mytoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2018 at 6:35pm
In the Team World Cup the players gain points in the single matches they play and win, like in other tournaments. More or less the same as gaining points in round robin wins. If you don't play, you don't play. 

The format here is max 4 singles and one double (Olympic system). Only three players on the team, no substitutes for doubles. All singles will count for WR.

Team world ranking is important for WTTC-seeding now. Team WR is still based upon the three best players for 2018. I think the coaches will have to be careful when putting together the team. 


Edited by Mytoman - 02/05/2018 at 6:50pm
Back to Top
VladCeller View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member


Joined: 12/09/2015
Location: die Evil Empire
Status: Offline
Points: 812
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VladCeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2018 at 12:12am
Player number 4 in the team can only play paired? Therefore, no points will be accrued to him at all?
Back to Top
Mytoman View Drop Down
Member
Member


Joined: 05/28/2010
Status: Offline
Points: 56
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mytoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2018 at 12:42am
@VladCeller . There are only three players in one team match in the Olympic system. S, S, D, S, S. All players play max two matches. Player nr 3 plays double and (if needed) one single. Player nr 1 and two plays one single and either double or single. No substitution of players, no number 4.
Back to Top
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 03/22/2015
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 847
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 1:39pm
Something interesting I noticed when looking at rankings.  Feng Tianwei gained 2750 points at the 2016 World Team Table Tennis Championships.  She played more matches because she had to due to the rest of her team being relatively weak.  Singapore actually didn't do well.  China, on the other hand, had a lot of 3-0 matches and of course won the gold.  Yet, if you look at Ding Ning and Liu Shiwen's world ranking results, they only received 1500 and 1250 points respectively from that tournament.  Just seems so wrong to win gold and then get much less points than someone whose team did badly.

And to put this into perspective, 2750 points is 50 points greater than the silver medalist at the Olympics or World Championship singles.


Edited by pongfugrasshopper - 02/08/2018 at 2:06pm
Back to Top
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member


Joined: 02/24/2006
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Points: 7158
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 2:18pm
Agree.  The system is so wrong.

Ding Ning and Liu Shiwen will have to play qualification in the Qatar Open.
That will screw up players happened to get drawn into their groups.
It will be a long time before all players can reach their proper rankings.

Back to Top
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member


Joined: 09/22/2009
Location: CALIFORNIA
Status: Offline
Points: 2140
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Agree.  The system is so wrong.

Ding Ning and Liu Shiwen will have to play qualification in the Qatar Open.
That will screw up players happened to get drawn into their groups.
It will be a long time before all players can reach their proper rankings.

indeed
Stiga Clipper Wood, Viscaria,BBC,
Back to Top
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 06/24/2009
Location: Earth
Status: Offline
Points: 1992
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 3:43pm
Like anything with ITTF, the new ranking is system is an epitome of stupidity and has really no meaning. Just check who is at #1. It's a joke.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
Back to Top
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member


Joined: 02/24/2006
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Points: 7158
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

Like anything with ITTF, the new ranking is system is an epitome of stupidity and has really no meaning. Just check who is at #1. It's a joke.
=====

Back to Top
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 03/22/2015
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 847
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 9:39am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

Something interesting I noticed when looking at rankings.  Feng Tianwei gained 2750 points at the 2016 World Team Table Tennis Championships.  She played more matches because she had to due to the rest of her team being relatively weak.  Singapore actually didn't do well.  China, on the other hand, had a lot of 3-0 matches and of course won the gold.  Yet, if you look at Ding Ning and Liu Shiwen's world ranking results, they only received 1500 and 1250 points respectively from that tournament.  Just seems so wrong to win gold and then get much less points than someone whose team did badly.

And to put this into perspective, 2750 points is 50 points greater than the silver medalist at the Olympics or World Championship singles.

Another beneficiary of the rankings points lottery at the 2016 team championships was Viktoria Pavlovich.  Despite having a losing record (5-7), she gained 1180 points since she got more opportunites to play due to other members of her team losing.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 1.469 seconds.
Mark all posts as read :: Delete cookies set by this forum

Cookies and JavaScript must be enabled on your web browser in order to use this forum


Copyright © 2003-2013 MyTableTennis.NET - All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer