Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Long Pips Rubber ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2018 at 1:16am
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

Based on this, I would recommend trying Dr Evil. It's technically a SP rubber that is approved for usatt hardbat competition. It has some LP like properties when blocking against loop and is an excellent chopping rubber. high balls can be attacked easily. This is a good rubber to try on your way to finding out whether you really want to end up with LP because its very easy to play with.

It's a $10 rubber, so cheap to try. I have it on a blade to do some chopping for fun every so often.

There's a rubber called Dr. Evil ?  Seriously ?  As in the character from Austin Powers ? hehehe

Please tell me it has this on the packaging ...

Edited by Veet - 04/08/2018 at 1:28am
Sponsored Links

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2018 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Veet Veet wrote:

No access to a robot, and I cannot afford to buy one. I'm trying to convince a fellow club-member to practice with me, regularly.

At first, just ask your club-member to loop to you bh and you block (clop-block after you feel comfortable with blocking) back to him (same side). You club-member shall like it. No kidding, my coach forced me to practice this with my teammate for few months.
In term of "Another thing - Now with the LPs on the BH, I'm not playing as much on my FH... Even with balls played plumb to the FH, I now tend to crab, and play on my BH...", watching one of the Song Liu matches, may give you an idea.

Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2018 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Veet Veet wrote:

Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

Based on this, I would recommend trying Dr Evil. It's technically a SP rubber that is approved for usatt hardbat competition. It has some LP like properties when blocking against loop and is an excellent chopping rubber. high balls can be attacked easily. This is a good rubber to try on your way to finding out whether you really want to end up with LP because its very easy to play with.

It's a $10 rubber, so cheap to try. I have it on a blade to do some chopping for fun every so often.

There's a rubber called Dr. Evil ?  Seriously ?  As in the character from Austin Powers ? hehehe

Please tell me it has this on the packaging ...

If Dr Evil and Mini Me were on the packaging, it wouldn't be $10 anymore.

A sheet would cost ......... A Billion Dollars
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2018 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Egghead:

Do you think this light-cured 388D-1 plays better than regular 388D-1?
(benfb swear by it.)
===========

I paid $34.23 for 5 sheets ($6.85 per sheet), the money (via Paypal) was sent to the Agent.
The Agent would then buy the rubber and ship to me.
The final cost is unknown, because I don't know how much the Agent will charge me for his service.
(I was unsuccessful to buy directly from Taobao, it never took me to the check-out, tried for 2 hours.)

=================

Received the Dawei 388D-1 (light cured) rubber today.
It has ITTF logo on the package, and ITTF logo on the rubber.
The agent charged me $21 (shipping/handling/services).

Total cost of 5 sheets:  $34.23+$21.00 = $55.23. Or $11.05 per sheet.

If you just buy 1 sheet, it will be much higher than $11.05.
If you buy 10 sheets, then per sheet will be lower than $11.05.

Edited by skip3119 - 04/26/2018 at 3:48pm
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2018 at 7:43pm

Egghead:

(benfb swear by it.)
===========

I paid $34.23 for 5 sheets ($6.85 per sheet), the money (via Paypal) was sent to the Agent.
The final cost is unknown, because I don't know how much the Agent will charge me for his service.
(I was unsuccessful to buy directly from Taobao, it never took me to the check-out, tried for 2 hours.)

=================

I'm pretty sure the ITTF approval logos are for the version that is not light-cured and that the light-curing is done post-manufacturing.
kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2018 at 6:19am

Egghead:

(benfb swear by it.)
===========

=================

Thanks for the info. Let us know how they play!Big smile
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2018 at 10:08am
Originally posted by kevo kevo wrote:

Egghead:
(benfb swear by it.)
===========
=================

Thanks for the info. Let us know how they play!Big smile
=================
Received the rubber yesterday around 4 PM, put it on.
Played the league beginning at 6:30 PM, yesterday.

Players that I could beat, I still beat them.
The players that I couldn't beat, I still lost to them.

In the end, the skill counts.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2018 at 11:12am
Did the matches closer than before?

Edited by Egghead - 04/27/2018 at 11:13am
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2018 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

Did the matches closer than before?
===================
I have played only 6 players last night.  Couldn't tell if I gained any advantage.

Although I have played regular Dawei 388D-1 for 4 years, I have played this light-cured version
for only one night.  Probably a little bit adjustment is needed before I can realize the advantage.
The friction is certainly lower than the regular version.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2018 at 12:10pm
Egghead:

This is what I bought:
===============
What I bought is "Small pips".
What you mentioned is "Large pips".

Edited by skip3119 - 04/27/2018 at 12:11pm
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2018 at 4:04pm
In normal, "Large pips" LPs are more trickier than "Small pips" LPs.  Dtecs /  Dragon Talon are large pips. Then, the 388D-1 "長膠王" (large pips),  actually is 338d-1 quattro allround edition.

Edited by Egghead - 04/27/2018 at 4:15pm
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2018 at 2:32am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

I use LP, Dawei 388D-1.

During hitting back-and-forth in a game, I lost lots of points when the guy sent me an under-spin ball.
LP is supposed to be less sensitive to spin but not INSENSITVE, lots of my returns go right into the net.

One of my clubmates who chops and blocks with LP recently switched to Dawai Magic Kingdom 388D-1.  It seems to the rest of us that his game picked up about a hundred rating points.  Chops and blocks both seem to have much stronger spin reversal than before and his ability to punch with it is much more dangerous.  The pips seem very slick, like in the old days when true slick LP rubbers were still legal.  It seems like a very potent rubber.

And the packaging (which is mostly in Chinese) has an emblem that says "Light curing certification".  What's that?
Last March I posted several times about a clubmate of mine who had recently switched to the light treated version of Dawei 338D-1.  I wanted to follow up with some additional information.

First, let me review what I was talking about in March.  Dawei has a LP rubber that is ITTF approved called the 338D-1.  The also have a second version that is still called 338D-1, but on the wrapping it says "light cured certification."  That is not the version submitted to ITTF and is not ITTF approved, but you can't see the difference just by looking at the rubbers.  Either version says "338D-1".

My friend started using the "light cured" version of 338D-1 in February and immediately his rating went up about 200 points.  I posted here because was I was observing that his "light cured" LP rubber had very low friction, giving it great spin reversal.

Now flash forward to the present, mid-August.  Another friend has just started playing today with 338D-1.  This friend, who is actually a much better (and very experienced) player, is using the legal version of 338D-1; that is, his version has not been light cured.  What I can report is that the difference between "light cured" and "not light cured" is huge.  The regular version of 338D-1 actually has quite a bit of friction.  It behaves more like medium pips, and almost like short pips.  My friend, who is quite skilled at all types of pips play, found that the regular 338D-1 was not all that great at either chopping or soft blocks.  He described it as "more consistent", which of course means "less weird".  For long pips, this isn't necessarily a good thing.

I asked my friend if he could see the difference looking at his "regular 338D-1, compared to the frictionless 338D-1.  He said he could tell the difference by running his thumb over the pips.  With regular 338D-1 he could fill the friction, while with the light cured version, his thumb just glides over the pips.

This was my first chance to do a side-by-side comparison between "light cured" and regular (legal) versions of 338D-1.  They are very different animals.  Anyway, I just wanted to report on this.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2018 at 11:06am
thx for the update. Did your friend try the "light cured" version of 338D-1?
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2018 at 11:48am
Played cheap LP rubbers for years, now I am trying an expensive one.
Just ordered a sheet of Tibhar Grass D.TecS from TableTennisStore.us.
Don't think it will do any good to my rating. (Bye bye 1700, hello 1600. Already.)

It is the skill that counts. (Not the rubber.)
Still remember a penhold player from CA visiting our club.
He used a cheap LP rubber, CK531A - and beat the daylight out of me.

Hope this Tibhar Grass D.TecS can keep me at 1600 rather than seeing 1500.
(Age has caught up on me finally. I guess.)
==========
Update:  The penhold player who used a cheap rubber (CK531A) and beat me bad -
              his name is Jeff Xiao. I have no idea which club he plays in California.

Edited by skip3119 - 08/16/2018 at 11:55am
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2018 at 3:35pm
For close to the table block/attack style Grass D.tecs OX is by far the best. It was recommended to me by Nurdin Saparbaev, a master from Kyrgyzstan. For chopping - Curl P-H is the most disturbing.

Edited by ChichoFicho - 08/16/2018 at 3:35pm
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2018 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

For close to the table block/attack style Grass D.tecs OX is by far the best. It was recommended to me by Nurdin Saparbaev, a master from Kyrgyzstan. For chopping - Curl P-H is the most disturbing.

At Revspin.net a rubber review website Globe 979 Cost $9 is rated slightly higher than Grass DTecS.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2018 at 2:11am
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

thx for the update. Did your friend try the "light cured" version of 338D-1?
The friend that switch to 338D-1 this week is not using the light cured version.  He's only tried the light cured version once or twice in play, just enough to feel the difference.  Having played against both versions (different players), the difference is huge.
MydasDiablo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MydasDiablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2018 at 5:59pm

Edited by MydasDiablo - 09/29/2019 at 2:18am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic