FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Celluloid Balls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ahilliard View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahilliard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Celluloid Balls
    Posted: 02/08/2018 at 1:06pm
Does anyone have a link to somewhere I can buy good celluloid balls? I'd like to try some as I never have. I think knowing how they play will help me understand the reviews I read when looking at plastic balls. 
Donic Waldner Exclusive AR+

Bluefire M2 FH & BH
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 1:38pm
Try ebay or aliexpress for DHS balls.  A 6 pack of 3* DHS balls will be under $3 or so delivered.  They're also available in orange.

Here's one ebay vendor with white and orange balls:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-6Pcs-Standard-3-stars-DHS-Ping-Pong-Balls-Competition-Good/152568687718

Gotta say though, if you really are just curious, then go for it.  However, if you're the type who's going to whine about how plastic balls are inferior, don't waste your money.  The world has moved to plastic and no amount of whining will change it.
OSP Ultimate II, Xiom Omega V Asia/Omega V Asia
OSP Virtuoso+, Butterfly Tenergy 80/Tenergy 80
Yinhe T-7, Xiom Vega Asia/Xiom Vega Asia
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 2:41pm
i still have some brand new nittaku premiums and dhs 3 star if interested
Stiga Clipper Wood, Viscaria,BBC,
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

Try ebay or aliexpress for DHS balls.  A 6 pack of 3* DHS balls will be under $3 or so delivered.  They're also available in orange.

Here's one ebay vendor with white and orange balls:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-6Pcs-Standard-3-stars-DHS-Ping-Pong-Balls-Competition-Good/152568687718

Gotta say though, if you really are just curious, then go for it.  However, if you're the type who's going to whine about how plastic balls are inferior, don't waste your money.  The world has moved to plastic and no amount of whining will change it.
Agree. Just buy either some Nittaku premium 40+ or the DHS D40+ plastic balls and start playing with it. It’s a waste of time to buy celluloid balls now.
https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 3:40pm
Many people still play with celluloid balls. They are much better than new plastic rubbish balls.Get  as much as you can while they are still available.

Edited by ChichoFicho - 02/08/2018 at 3:40pm
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 10:53pm

If a new world association was started, the pro tour players were asked if they wanted to use plastic or celluloid, I bet they would go back to celluloid.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 7:58am
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

Many people still play with celluloid balls. They are much better than new plastic rubbish balls.Get  as much as you can while they are still available.

Good advice. Unless you actually play some sort of official competition and prefer to win.
penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 9:21am

'...... Unless you actually play some sort of official competition and prefer to win.' - Baal

Correction : You can still choose to use the 'old' celluliod balls in officially sanctioned competitions 
and still win.
But you may have problems getting hold of them....in the near future. LOL
Iloveplayingtabletennis
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 9:54am
Originally posted by penholderxxx penholderxxx wrote:

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">'...... Unless you actually play some sort of official competition and prefer to win.' - Baal</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Correction : You can still choose to use the 'old' celluliod balls in officially sanctioned competitions </span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">and still win.</span>
But you may have problems getting hold of them....in the near future. LOL
Not correct. Individual player(s) don’t get to determine what ball they get to use in official sanctioned events. The ball to be used in any official sanctioned tournament is listed on entry form and is the only ball that is used. After 4 years I highly doubt that there is any sanctioned USATT tournament that is using a celluloid ball.
https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 7:10pm
Gagagagaaaa......

We can still use the 'old' celluloid balls in official competitions. 

Existing rules still allow its use. So any tournament or competition organisers can still choose to use them; even in the ITTF world tours events.

So 'you' as a competition organiser can still choose to use celluloids but 'you' as a player of course has no say in this.
Iloveplayingtabletennis
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 7:31pm
Tournaments in Noth America virtually never use celluloid although they are still approved. (Who knows how much longer but for now ok, in principle).

And so like I said, if you enjoy cool things like winning, it pays to train with the balls that are actually used. If you never play tournaments then that is not an issue. But if you practice all the time with celluloid and then go play a tournament with 40+, may God have mercy on your soul.

As you mentioned, the players don't get to choose the type of balls. A few times I have seen a couple of guys agree to use a Nittaku Premium 40+ when the official ball was some other 40+, but you're not actually supposed to do that.
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2018 at 2:49pm
C'est pire qu'un crime, c'est unу faute.
It is worse than a crime, it is a mistake.
Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord
(2 February 1754 – 17 May 1838)

IT IS A MISTAKE...
President Adham Sharara once confessed they changed to plastic material in hope to slow down the ball. It was a fatal misjudgment. The game went faster, rallies abridged and spectacularity gone as a result..   
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2018 at 6:41pm
And at the time a certain Igorponger praised Sharara at MyTT for this mistake. Of course Sharara claimed at tbe time it was a "worldwide ban on celluloid production" which, as we know now, was (a) not happening and (b) had nothing to do with their sneaking in another increase in ball size. As yet there is no good quantitative data that rallies are shorter, but it wouldn't surprise me. If so does it persist after adopting ABS balls?

Water too far under the bridge now. I have adapted to 40+. But it was a bad thing for the sport. We are still talking about it.
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2018 at 6:44pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2018 at 6:46pm
Why yes. I most certainly do remember it! It is tempting to post it every time he trolls another thread.

Was that before or after Igor's famous comparison of T05 to a "carnal sex-crazed vampiress"?
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2018 at 9:54pm
The difference between playing a match with a celluoid 40mm ball and a poly 40+ ball is like the difference between grass and clay court tennis?
US1260.RC952 . OSP Ultimate II : Target National + Rasant
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 3:54am
For me no. I still win or lose against the same people the same way. I think the difference is a bit less than that. It seems like defenders would disagree with me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic