Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Pips- Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short Pips- Recommendations
    Posted: 02/08/2018 at 7:09pm
Hi,

I would appreciate your recommendation with the following:

I have been using SP (Raystorm and Flarestorm) in my BH for couple of years and Donic Baxter F1-A 2.0 in the last 2 years. 
I guess I got used to this rubber (In terms of control and accuracy) BUT I don't find my game "interfering" or "complicating" the opponents as before..mostly because of lack of Spin and bad Sink.

I'm planning now to try a new SP rubber and very confused due to the vast variety.
Can you please give some tips? 

Regards,

Lin
Sponsored Links

speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 8:20pm
If you count on a SP to win points for you, it's not going to happen.  I played with SP for the last 12 years and at least 15 years collectively. I can tell you that it's harder and harder to win points with SP or even LP.  It's not because the ball is bigger and heavier.  It's because everyone has better technical skills than it used to be.

However, if you ask me which SP are my favorites, then I would say Nittaku Morristo SP, Spectol 21, or Butterfly Impartial XB.

Good luck,
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2018 at 8:57pm
May be you want to look at medium pips, My clubmates play with Juic masterspin special and Gambler gxm and I saw them having good sync.
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 12:17am
Hammond FA Speed. It is fast, it gives opponents tons of trouble and it is spinny.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
Lin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by speedy speedy wrote:

If you count on a SP to win points for you, it's not going to happen.  I played with SP for the last 12 years and at least 15 years collectively. I can tell you that it's harder and harder to win points with SP or even LP.  It's not because the ball is bigger and heavier.  It's because everyone has better technical skills than it used to be.

However, if you ask me which SP are my favorites, then I would say Nittaku Morristo SP, Spectol 21, or Butterfly Impartial XB.

Good luck,

THANKS!

Which one do you think will be easier to switch from Donic Baxter? 
Can you point out the differences between the rubbers you have mentioned?

BR
Lin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 4:23pm
Thanks guys!

I read in another website several recommendation in regards to Spectol Red and Spinpips Red, mainly today, when playing with the 40+. 

What do you think? 
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 5:01pm
I use Spectol Red on my BH.  I switched to it from 802-40.  I find Spectol Red is faster than 802-40.  I also find that with Spectol Red it is easier to vary the amount of spin I return on the ball.  Very easy to spin, drive, or return dead balls against topspin drive. 

Mark
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 5:13pm
I have tried more than 40 different pips. Hammond FA Speed is faster than any of the Spectols, causes more trouble to the opponent and is spinnier when you brush the ball. 
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

I use Spectol Red on my BH.  I switched to it from 802-40.  I find Spectol Red is faster than 802-40.  I also find that with Spectol Red it is easier to vary the amount of spin I return on the ball.  Very easy to spin, drive, or return dead balls against topspin drive. 

Mark

spectol blue is better han the red because red is only to give dead balls but a skilled oponnetnt will make you miss more ball than the points you get.

also depends what you want to do.block hit? the more dangerous is a pip the higher the skill and practice you need to worth playing

at mid high level players wont sink the ball with passive blocking you need to add speed for bh you need a low spin pip but for fh is better to try moristo and beautry the later makes easy to return spinny loops

Edited by bbkon - 02/09/2018 at 6:53pm
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2018 at 9:47pm
New SP on the market... Valor Premier with sponge. The best hardbat rubber with sponge! I tried it for chopping and it is excellent. Drove my coach crazy when I attacked. Cheers!
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

book4all View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote book4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2018 at 12:21am
Valor Premier has been available 7+ years ago. What is the "new" about, this time?
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2018 at 8:28am
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

I have tried more than 40 different pips. Hammond FA Speed is faster than any of the Spectols, causes more trouble to the opponent and is spinnier when you brush the ball. 

No no no. This Nittaku rubber must be out of any conversations connected with table tennis.
It has extremely fragile sponge and Ficho can't glue it to his paddle from decades. But still continues to offers it to the people. Angry
Ficho tell us the truth, please. Big smile
Lin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2018 at 8:44am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Mark

spectol blue is better han the red because red is only to give dead balls but a skilled oponnetnt will make you miss more ball than the points you get.

also depends what you want to do.block hit? the more dangerous is a pip the higher the skill and practice you need to worth playing

at mid high level players wont sink the ball with passive blocking you need to add speed for bh you need a low spin pip but for fh is better to try moristo and beautry the later makes easy to return spinny loops

As mentioned, I'm looking for a Spinier and faster rubber, but with a relative good control to replace my Donic Baxter in my BH. 
I'm playing next to the table and mostly using the pips to "slow" the game and for active blocking.  

Would you still recommend the Spectol Blue? 1.7-1.9? 
Are you familiar with the Spinpips rubber? 

thanks
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2018 at 8:48am
802-40
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
Lin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2018 at 10:12am

A lot of players here and in other forums recommend to use the 802-40 when trying SP for the first time (because its resemblance to inverted rubber..)

In my case, I have already used (and got used) to Butterfly and Donic SP rubbers and would like to improve the effect, while using SP tactics..

Do you still think that 802-40 is the most suitable rubber for me?

Thanks! 

kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2018 at 11:56am
802-40 is the best regarding spins. With thin sponge, it can be used for defending like Wu Yang. With thicker sponge, you can topspin , block , hitting with FH or BH. We can do everything with it.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2018 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Lin Lin wrote:

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Mark

As mentioned, I'm looking for a Spinier and faster rubber, but with a relative good control to replace my Donic Baxter in my BH. 
I'm playing next to the table and mostly using the pips to "slow" the game and for active blocking.  

Would you still recommend the Spectol Blue? 1.7-1.9? 
Are you familiar with the Spinpips rubber? 

thanks

you need skill to play with spectol blue but all the proplayers using 802 40 are using victas 102 because plastic ball has turned 802 40 in obsolete gear..some good pips player in japan use rakza po but using sp in FH has different needs like stability.

if you re gonna spin and hit moristo and flarestorm 2 are the best but with 1.8mm waran is also good to slow down
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2018 at 2:27pm
Speedy P.O. is pretty good
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2018 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by book4all book4all wrote:

Valor Premier has been available 7+ years ago. What is the "new" about, this time?
The addition of sponge is new.
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

slaplink_pat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaplink_pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2018 at 11:57pm
I've recently used Xiom Vega SPO and I'm definitely impressed with it. I used to play with 802, 802-40, Raystorm and Clippa for periods of times and lot other SPs but very shortly. It has a very lively sponge which gives it very fast top end speed. Flat counter hitting is really nice and gives that speedy direct dead ball effect and still generates enough spin in underspin pushes and brushed strokes. 
Blade: Xiom AZX
FH: Xiom Omega VII China Guang
BH: DHS PF4

Blade: Donic Alligator Combi
FH: TIbhar MXP
BH: Spinlord Zeitgeist
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 5:28am
Originally posted by slaplink_pat slaplink_pat wrote:

I've recently used Xiom Vega SPO and I'm definitely impressed with it. I used to play with 802, 802-40, Raystorm and Clippa for periods of times and lot other SPs but very shortly. It has a very lively sponge which gives it very fast top end speed. Flat counter hitting is really nice and gives that speedy direct dead ball effect and still generates enough spin in underspin pushes and brushed strokes. 

Yes, good SP rubber but it dépends if you need more speed or more spin because it is very difficult to have both with a SP rubber. I have tried maybe tried 50 SP rubbers and regarding spins, 802-40 is really a good choice if you don't need a bomb. 
I remember also the spectol OX which I used with a defensive yinhe 1mm sponge. Haha, this was a choping weapon. The opponents couldn't believe it was a SP rubber, the ball was more cut than with a tackiness C.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic