Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help on serve receiving

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rake73 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rake73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help on serve receiving
    Posted: 02/10/2018 at 1:45am
This is my first post and I am new to the forum..I am 44 years old and playing TT for last 32 years..well played that in pockets..from age of 12 to 18 and then left..started again in 2013..now bit bulky but still in top 4-5 players..my major questions are as per priority:

1. I find it a bit difficult the serves which are done by a FH player from right edge of table to my backhand..I know its not a common serve but once a long pimpled guy served this in one of the tournament and I find it difficult..what i see the issue may be, flexibility and non practice to cover that angle..we are typically used to pendulum and serves originated from centre of table..not a edge to edge from FH to BH..some of it was even no spin straight serve but I could,t attack.. Need advises and views please. I will love the same from BH to FH though Smile

2. How to adjust the game if your flexibility is reduced due to age..sometime I feel that I can do better specially when switching from BH to forehand..if pendulum serve is done from extreme left then sometime opponent down the line return to forehand is not reachable..this happens specially when serve is in hitting zone or long..backspin and short serves are difficult to get that kind of down the line placement..can I shift a bit towards center when doing long pendulum.. I play close to table and face challenges with opponents who are also playing close to table as reaction time for me is less..specially with age and bit bulky..My chop, block and forehand smashes are still very good..not a looper but do some roll when hitting low chop at my FH..BH I block and chop with occasional smash..

3. Now a days lot of ball hit my fingers..both thumb and index..what could be possible issue?

Edited by rake73 - 02/10/2018 at 3:50am
Rakesh, Jamshedpur
Sponsored Links

rake73 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rake73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2018 at 1:49am
I use Xiom Starto, FH - Rasant R47 at FH and Stiga Calibra LT sound in BH..changed this setup around 2 months back..earlier used Galaxy - T11+ and FH-Galaxy moon, BH - Hurrican 3 neo and stiga allrond with FH-bluefire M2, BH - Mark-5 Hps
Rakesh, Jamshedpur
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2018 at 7:23pm
rake, until I see a vid of this serve, we really wouldn't know. As with any serve, you would need to be able to know the level of spin, its orientation, the degree of break on the ball, and where/when it will be land... not knowing that will be big trouble regardless.

One forum member to best advise you is HEAVYSPIN, he is easily a large guy, if you have been watching the forums, you will see some vids of him in action. 

I can tell you one simple thing about loss of athletic ability and still making it happen in TT. GET CLOSE TO THE BALL OFF THE BOUNCE... use soft hands and place your shot in a troublesome spot. It doesn't require a lot of athleticism to take one step in or to side, get paddle there, and make a tiny movement with lower arm or wrist or even use grip pressure variation to control ball.

Perhaps you should google matches of Richard Dewitt (a good friend of Heavyspin and a very skilled amature player who is not a very light mobile guy himself). RD is an absolute master of being in position, reading spin, then using a short stroke with impact grip pressure control and variation to place the ball either in a difficult spot, or in an easy spot, but fool you on depth, pace and spin... all of which makes you out of position, off time, wrong bat angle... all that adds up to making you look silly... and that man does it all without running all over the court like his much younger and more athletics opponents. 

Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
rake73 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rake73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2018 at 1:10am
Thanks a lot for reply. Its really helpful. I will surely film and share the video for more specific assessment and advises.

Regards,
Rakesh
Rakesh, Jamshedpur
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2018 at 12:47pm
I forgot to answer your question #3

If you frequently have the ball hit your fingers, you are not effectively judging the spin and landing spot of the ball... and its bounce (from the spin and speed factor). This will improve as you improve.

One way to deal with this is to impact the ball closer to the bounce. You will still need to judge where it will land, but getting closer to the bounce will reduce the distance the ball will move different from what you thought it was, since you are closer to the ball, it will not vary as far.

Will you still be able to play the shots you want doing this? That is for you to judge. If you play passive or passing shots, it shouldn't be a problem. If you are trying to play attacking shots, there are adjustments needed with biomechanics and impact control that are different if you are letting ball come out long and attacking.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2018 at 3:09pm
Practice loads against good servers, but in the mean time, try to hold your bat loose on receipt, and touch the ball back, short or deep, not so the bounce is in the middle third of the opponents court.
The Older I get, The better I was.
rake73 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rake73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2018 at 10:39pm
Thanks for the inputs !!
Rakesh, Jamshedpur
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic