Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stronger Wood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stronger Wood
    Posted: 02/11/2018 at 9:43pm
Butterfly will soon come out with super wood series priced starting 300$ for a 5-ply
Sponsored Links

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 4:46pm
Very interesting. I wonder whether this super-wood qualifies as "natural wood" for Rule 2.4.2 "At least 85% of the blade by thickness shall be of natural wood". I suppose not, given how it's obtained.

Quoting from the article:
Originally posted by wrote:

The new process used here has two steps. First, natural wood is boiled in a mix of sodium hydroxide and sodium sulphite, which is actually similar to the process made to create wood pulp for paper.

Next, the wood goes through a compression phase to collapse the walls between individual cells. Heat is added to encourage new chemical bonds while the wood continues to be compressed.

Those processes are able to strip out certain polymers to allow the new wood to reform while also keeping other polymers essential to the wood's strength.

The strengthening ultimately comes from large numbers of hydrogen atoms bonding to nanofibres of cellulose, already naturally in the structure of the wood.

On the other hand, you probably won't want to have thick layers of this stuff in your racket anyway, 80% reduction in thickness also means it has a 5x higher mass density.

But I can see the marketing: "the first wood-reinforced all wood blade"; "the non-composite composite blade", "the composite blade with all-wood feeling", etc.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 4:50pm
BTW, I guess this stuff is so dense and has no pores, so that it cannot be glued with hide glue.
If Nittaku picks this up for an Acoustic SuperWood or Violin SuperWood blade, they'll have to use epoxy on these, as well. Big smile
Join the Nexy Clan!
Jasonh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 6:28pm
Sounds like the second veneer of Persson Powerplay.
Fly away!
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 6:39pm
Might be interesting as a extremely hard outer ply for pips or ox
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 7:22pm
"Very interesting. I wonder whether this super-wood qualifies as "natural wood" for Rule 2.4.2 "At least 85% of the blade by thickness shall be of natural wood". I suppose not, given how it's obtained. "

It still wood. So I don't see why they would consider it something else.

It would be interesting to see what the manufacturers do with this. If they pick it up at all. Could it mean a very large sweet spot? Would it be used as the center ply, or as the outer ones?

FdT
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

"Very interesting. I wonder whether this super-wood qualifies as "natural wood" for Rule 2.4.2 "At least 85% of the blade by thickness shall be of natural wood". I suppose not, given how it's obtained. "

It still wood. So I don't see why they would consider it something else.

It is no longer natural. At least, it is not found in nature that way. Super-wood is deeply different down to the molecular level.
The heating/burning treatments that are normally applied to the current plies are physical treatments and generally preserve the wood structure.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 7:48pm
"It is no longer natural. At least, it is not found in nature that way. Super-wood is deeply different down to the molecular level."

Define "natural".

"Next, the wood goes through a compression phase to collapse the walls between individual cells. Heat is added to encourage new chemical bonds while the wood continues to be compressed.

Those processes are able to strip out certain polymers to allow the new wood to reform while also keeping other polymers essential to the wood's strength."

Sorry I still see it as wood, essentially. It is processed, but it still made of the same molecules it was made before the process. The molecules have not been 100% replaced. 

Fdt

Edited by Fulanodetal - 02/12/2018 at 7:48pm
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 8:31pm
Kokutaku and Armstrong have been using compression on Jpens for a long time looks like they just need to add a couple steps.

Edited by jpenmaster - 02/12/2018 at 8:32pm
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic