Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

World Veterans June 2018 Top players

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
danseemiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Veterans June 2018 Top players
    Posted: 02/12/2018 at 4:59pm
Hi,
 The most exciting tournament to ever come to the U.S.A. is now only 4 months away in Las Vegas
June 18-24.
Here are some of the top international stars who have entered.
Jorgen Persson- Sweden
Chen Weixing-Austria
Jorg Rosskopf-Germany
Istvan Jonyer-Hungary
Dmitri Mazunov-Russia
Georg Bohm-Germany
There are currently 3,791 entries. Deadline March 15.
Tournament schedule:
Monday R/R Singles- 2 advance to the Championship and the bottom 2 to the consolation
Tuesday R/R doubles-2 advance to the Championship and the bottom 2 to the consolation
Wed. off day
Thursday S/E Championship singles and Consolation singles
Friday Doubles S/E   and continuation of the singles championship and consolation
Saturday Round of 16 through to the semifinals and doubles finishes
Sunday June 24   10am-1pm  Finals
DS
RG_Long_Island View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RG_Long_Island Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 5:32pm
he zhiwen?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 6:31pm
Doesn't look like it. He has not entered.
DS
patrickhrdlicka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 7:14pm

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 02/13/2018 at 4:40pm
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

USATT rating: 2k+
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2018 at 2:26pm
he zhe wen will be in westchester doing summer camp this summer 
so im not sure if he's playing
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2018 at 4:11pm
my favourite to win the over 40's is Persson.
The Older I get, The better I was.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2018 at 5:28pm
The competition is amazing. So many skilled players from all over the world. We have entries from 85 countries. The U.S. has the most at 520. Germany is not far behind with 400 and India, Japan and England are sending more than 200 each. Russia is sending a large group. 
Just think -all over the world in tt clubs in the next few months- seniors will be preparing for their Vegas trip and trying to peak for the tourney.
Opening ceremonies on Sunday evening is going to be a great show. 
Dan 

DS
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2018 at 8:20pm
dan 
do you find doubles partners?
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
DonnOlsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2018 at 8:48pm
Hi Danny,

Of the top players, what singles categories are each in?

Also, I think Cheng Yinghua should be in your top players list.

Best.......
Donn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2018 at 10:58pm
Yes I missed my doubles partner one of the best players I've ever known Cheng Ying Hua. We are in the 60 doubles together and Cheng is in the 60 singles and so am I. Kalinic is in the 60-64.Jonyer the 65-69 group. Weixing probably the 40-44. Not sure about the others as we have not received their official entry yet. We know they are attending. 
DS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2018 at 11:00pm
Doubles partners will be selected for you if you do not nominate one. The doubles draw is done very late to make sure everyone is correct. Singles draws will be posted ahead of time so the players know when they start on Monday.
DS
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 8:54pm
looks like an excellent tournament
Stiga Clipper Wood, Viscaria,BBC,
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by danseemiller danseemiller wrote:

Doubles partners will be selected for you if you do not nominate one. The doubles draw is done very late to make sure everyone is correct. Singles draws will be posted ahead of time so the players know when they start on Monday.

Curious how draw for doubles will be done - totally random (within your age/gender, of course), same country of origin, or some other way? I'll probably try to get a doubles partner in advance, but on the other hand there is something about randomness here that intrigues me.
USATT: 1700
Sword 309 - T05fx(1.9) - Dornenglanz OX
osmar92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osmar92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 9:30pm
will  Appelgren participate?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 9:41pm
If you can find a strong partner that is the best course. 
If you can't find one they try to pair up according to level but that cannot be very accurate.
DS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 9:42pm
No Appelgren yet. He did not play in Spain in 2016.
DS
osmar92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osmar92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 10:40am
Can anyone share an experience playing at high altitude in Las Vegas vs sea level. ?
Any tips to get adjusted to the change?
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 10:44am
Originally posted by osmar92 osmar92 wrote:

Can anyone share an experience playing at high altitude in Las Vegas vs sea level. ?

Las Vegas does NOT have high elevation! I have heard this here before and I am not sure where that comes from but the elevation of Las Vegas is 2001 feet or 610 meters. The humidity is very low though which can make a difference.

Edited by Matt Pimple - 02/16/2018 at 10:44am
OSP Ultimate ST; Nittaku DHS H3 Neo 2.1, Dr. Neubauer Rhino+ 1.8

My Feedback
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Las Vegas does NOT have high elevation! I have heard this here before and I am not sure where that comes from but the elevation of Las Vegas is 2001 feet or 610 meters. The humidity is very low though which can make a difference.

I always thought altitude issue is slightly overblown for LV - humidity, floors, tables, and actual balls used probably have similar if not larger impact on player. 

Taking advantage of practice time (planned for Sunday, I believe) should help.

Edited by pgpg - 02/16/2018 at 11:03am
USATT: 1700
Sword 309 - T05fx(1.9) - Dornenglanz OX
osmar92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osmar92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 1:37pm
Altitude defines air parameters hence the ball trajectory gets affected all things being equal. 
Air is less dense, less resistances,  higher speed,different bounce from the table all things be8ng equal.For those who rely on precision over technique might be susceptible to more mistakes.
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 1:57pm

Altitude defines air parameters hence the ball trajectory gets affected all things being equal. 
Air is less dense, less resistances,  higher speed,different bounce from the table all things be8ng equal.

That maybe so but not at an elevation of 610m above sea level.
OSP Ultimate ST; Nittaku DHS H3 Neo 2.1, Dr. Neubauer Rhino+ 1.8

My Feedback

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 2:07pm
Las Vegas is a difficult place to play. Rallies are shorter. Spin is greater and there is less air resistance. It is what I call extreme tt.
2,000 feet above sea level.This makes everything a bit faster. Then you add almost no moisture in the air
and greater friction- huge spin. More spin and speed is a tough combo. There have been more upsets in Vegas than anywhere.
 Long pips players thrive, I'll give you an example. Not too long ago Rosskopf played Chen Weixing at the worlds and pummeled him. I watched it. Then a couple of months later he had to play him again in the U.S. Open semifinals. I wanted to warn him that this might be different. Chen won easily 4-1.
Long ago I got my lesson. The week before the U.S. Open I played Engelbert Huging a chopper from Germany in the semifinals of the Miami Open -humid and a bit slow. I won 21-10 3 games. No contest. The following week I had him in the semifinals of the U.S. Open and lost 3-1. His long pips had so much spin from the dry, desert air I could hardly lift it repeatedly going into the net.

DS
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 2:11pm

Las Vegas is a difficult place to play. Rallies are shorter. Spin is greater and there is less air resistance. It is what I call extreme tt.
2,000 feet above sea level.This makes everything a bit faster. Then you add almost no moisture in the air
and greater friction- huge spin. More spin and speed is a tough combo. There have been more upsets in Vegas than anywhere.
 Long pips players thrive, I'll give you an example. Not too long ago Rosskopf played Chen Weixing at the worlds and pummeled him. I watched it. Then a couple of months later he had to play him again in the U.S. Open semifinals. I wanted to warn him that this might be different. Chen won easily 4-1.
Long ago I got my lesson. The week before the U.S. Open I played Engelbert Huging a chopper from Germany in the semifinals of the Miami Open -humid and a bit slow. I won 21-10 3 games. No contest. The following week I had him in the semifinals of the U.S. Open and lost 3-1. His long pips had so much spin from the dry, desert air I could hardly lift it repeatedly going into the net.

yes...it has happened to me a few times as well, not with players of that level of course but more in the 2200-2500 range
Stiga Clipper Wood, Viscaria,BBC,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 2:14pm
"That maybe so but not at an elevation of 610m above sea level."

It absolutely does make a difference.
Phoenix is 1,086 ft. above sea level so you may not feel the difference as much.
I used to train at Colorado Springs just before the nationals to prepare me for the speed of Vegas TT.
DS
osmar92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osmar92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 6:25pm
So I hope my glass anti spin will thrive  as well )))))
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2018 at 5:29pm

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">"That maybe so but not at an elevation of 610m above sea level."</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">It absolutely does make a difference.</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Phoenix is 1,086 ft. above sea level so you may not feel the difference as much.</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">I used to train at Colorado Springs just before the nationals to prepare me for the speed of Vegas TT.</span>
I won’t be there be but it will be nice that all the tables will be on the mat flooring versus the concrete floor.
https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2018 at 9:07am
How do you know that ALL matches are on the mats???
Joe B     Nittaku S-5
              OSP Virtuoso S

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2018 at 11:30am
Hi Joe,
It is a requirement that all tables are on the mats. Even the practice tables. There will be 175 competition tables and 75 practice.
DS
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2018 at 12:27pm
Hey Danny, I was hoping you would step in and clarify this.    That is good to know. I have had three hip replacements (no, I do not have three legs...one replacement had to be redone) so I am careful to never play on hard surfaces.      This make me want to go now...and so many great players to see.!!   Thanks! 
Joe B     Nittaku S-5
              OSP Virtuoso S

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic