Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

blades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: blades
    Posted: 02/14/2018 at 6:54pm
Changing blades and rubbers is worse then crack. Once you taste it you can´t get rid of it.
Sponsored Links

ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2018 at 5:59pm
When they change the ball again we would probably be better off changing TT federation!
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2018 at 5:47pm
What happens when they change the ball? Only change the rubbers still?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2018 at 5:21pm
In contrast, one of the younger guys at our club just bought a brand spanking new Garaydia with Rozena on his BH. He has zero frame of reference for either one of these, so it is much harder for him to isolate what has changed vs what has not.

He’s normally about 50 points ahead of me but hasn’t been playing as much while I’ve been correcting a flaw in my BH technique and training a good bit. So when I beat him pretty thoroughly in a recent club match it’s no surprise to me that he was already mumbling about how his brand new setup may not be right for him. Go figure!
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2018 at 5:07pm
I have certainly been known to EJ a good bit but I agree with your sentiment - mostly. I do think that players should define a base setup that fits and only vary off of that slightly. I differ in that I think that you can vary in both blades and rubber but you have to be scientific about it and manage the variables.

I am currently using a Photino and plan to do so for some time. However, when I first considered the Photino as being “my blade”, I made sure to use it with my standard thickness sheet of T80 which has long been a baseline rubber for me. Once I found that the blade suited me with T80 I was then able to fine tune my rubbers to suit my game (which is currently Yasaka Rising Dragon).

Ironically, it was Rising Dragon that explains why I “mostly agree”. I like tacky tensors and had bought a sheet of YRD way back when. I tried it on the Innerforce blades that I had (including a Liu Shiwen and an Innerforce ZLC). I absolutely hated it on any IF series blades. One of my regular playing partners started calling it “Snoring Dragon” as I had to use 100% max power to even have a chance of hitting a ball by him at mid distance and power is my forte’.   

I got bored waiting for my new tacky tensor sheet to arrive from China and noticed that I still had the same sheet of YRD. On a whim I put it on my Photino.. and it plays great. For the most part all three of these blades are pretty similar having a soft-ish feel and a ZLF composite layer.
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Poseidon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Poseidon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2018 at 4:30pm
What you said is true. But the problem with EJs is not that we don't know right and wrong or true or false. We know loud and clear that sticking to the same setup (even same rubbers) is good for developing skills but we still couldn't resist changing them. Does a drug addict know doing drugs is bad for their health? Yep, they just can't resist. Neither can us!!

持续高烧,熊熊烈火,激情无限。。。
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2018 at 4:02pm
You could of course make a case for using the same rubber (just different sheets), however, the temptation of an EJ to change to a different rubber given multiple opportunities to order replacement sheets might be too great.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2018 at 4:00pm
I would guess that the fact that blades last longer, would make a strong case for the blade being the base around which you build your equipment point of reference.  Most people replace rubber multiple times per year; with blades, if you find a good blade it may last a number of years or even more.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2018 at 12:56pm
Can’t rubbers also act as a stable point of reference, keeping the same across different blades?   Is there a strong case for keeping the same blade but experimenting with rubbers that can’t also be made for keeping the same rubbers but experimenting with blades?
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2018 at 12:32pm
true. but there's no much fun to EJ rubbers. it's just T05 and a handful of T05-clones.
EJ-turned blade collector
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2018 at 8:04am
They key word is ‘find’ the blade they look for. EJ bugs won’t make that possible .
Johnny Erasure View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Erasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2018 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Seriously you EJ's, mess about with your rubbers, but not your blade. Your blade is the stable point of your feel, once you get a blade you feel comfortable with, STICK TO IT ! all good players stick to the same blade.

True!
Blade: JM ZLC
Rubbers: FH Dignics 09C
            BH Dignics 05
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63937&KW=Johnny+Erasure&PID=764628&title=feedback-for-j
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2018 at 4:20pm
Seriously you EJ's, mess about with your rubbers, but not your blade. Your blade is the stable point of your feel, once you get a blade you feel comfortable with, STICK TO IT ! all good players stick to the same blade.
The Older I get, The better I was.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic