Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - LGL: China Will Remain Dominant(English Subbed)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

LGL: China Will Remain Dominant(English Subbed)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LGL: China Will Remain Dominant(English Subbed)
    Posted: 02/14/2018 at 3:40pm

Edited by zeio - 02/14/2018 at 3:42pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
jfolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2018 at 8:00pm
I will admit I don't follow the CNT as closely as many here. What is the status of LGL? For a while it looked like he had vanished completely.
mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2018 at 8:49pm
Thanks for the translation, Zeio. Completely agree with him, especially on Harimoto. It's going to be a good next few years :D
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2018 at 8:57pm
Thank you so much Zeio for dubbing this, its really good to hear a real expert's views.
Fabian1890 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fabian1890 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 2:58am
Thanks a lot for the translation. When did this interview take place?
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 4:01am
Originally posted by Fabian1890 Fabian1890 wrote:

Thanks a lot for the translation. When did this interview take place?

The video was first uploaded on the 22nd, so roughly last week?
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 5:04am
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

I will admit I don't follow the CNT as closely as many here. What is the status of LGL? For a while it looked like he had vanished completely.

Right, he's stayed low-key for the past half year since last June. At the turn of the year, he's picked up his pace again by appearing on a few TV variety shows.

He has officially been transferred(read demoted) to the CTTA, which is considered a civilian institution with no political power, as the 19th vice president.

On Jan 10th, 2018, in a reply to Li Wujun's blessing on LGL's birthday on Weibo, LGL wrote he had officially retired from coaching. On a related note, it's believed Qin Zhijian and Ma Lin are out of the CNT system now.

However, through his networking, he is still well-connected to the table tennis scenes.

Edited by zeio - 02/15/2018 at 5:29am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
pdotec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 8:18am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Right, he's stayed low-key for the past half year since last June. At the turn of the year, he's picked up his pace again by appearing on a few TV variety shows.

He has officially been transferred(read demoted) to the CTTA, which is considered a civilian institution with no political power, as the 19th vice president.

On Jan 10th, 2018, in a reply to Li Wujun's blessing on LGL's birthday on Weibo, LGL wrote he had officially retired from coaching. On a related note, it's believed Qin Zhijian and Ma Lin are out of the CNT system now.

Kong Linghui appears gone too
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 10:34am
Yep, KLH is out for sure.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
pdotec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 12:06pm
So who is making player/team decisions now? 
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 1:32pm
Hmmm, it's interesting that when LGL was talking about Harimoto, I did not pick up on him actually mentioning the name.  Was it just a response to the interviewer or is Harimoto called something else in Mandarin?
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Hmmm, it's interesting that when LGL was talking about Harimoto, I did not pick up on him actually mentioning the name.  Was it just a response to the interviewer or is Harimoto called something else in Mandarin?

I think I heard LGL "cho" a couple of times in that section. Maybe that is how they refer to him.

Sorry, just could not resist the opening. Wink

Mark
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 2:07pm

However, through his networking, he is still well-connected to the table tennis scenes.

Oh nooo, wasn't Qin Zhijian the main coach for Ma Long :(
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 2:38pm
Harimoto Tomokazu is a native chinese boy. And Harimoto's father is treated with most of the mainland Chinese as "malice fugitive and unworthy compatriot and colaborant to benefit to the foes".   Many of chinese athletes disfavour Harimoto's family.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Harimoto Tomokazu is a native chinese boy. And Harimoto's father is treated with most of the mainland Chinese as "malice fugitive and unworthy compatriot and colaborant to benefit to the foes".   Many of chinese athletes disfavour Harimoto's family.

malice fugitive and unworthy compatriot and colaborant to benefit to the foes

Somehow I find this phrase very funny
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 4:19pm

His Japanese name is 張本智和, for which the transliteration is Harimoto Tomokazu. When pronounced in Chinese, it's Zhangben Zhihe.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by pdotec pdotec wrote:

So who is making player/team decisions now? 

The positions of head coach for CNT(formerly LGL), head coach for CNT Men's team(formerly Qin Zhijian) and head coach for CNT Women's team(formerly KLH) are gone.

Wu Jingping is now the head of the coaching staff for the men's team. Members of the coaching staff include Liu Guozheng, Wang Hao et al. Wu Jingping was supposed to have retired after Rio, which he did, but was re-hired some time after that.

Li Jun is the head of the coaching group for the women's team. Members of the coaching staff include Xiao Zhan, Chen Bin et al.

Edited by zeio - 02/15/2018 at 6:43pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
kindof99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2018 at 5:54pm
WTTTC might be a challenge to CNT when Timo Boll and Jun Mazutani will play. Not in this world cup team event (by the way, it seems that no one cares about it AT ALL).
Mytoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mytoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 4:52am
LGL was on a GA of sports event, together with Yao Ming and Lang Ping. It is assumed that this means he in now for real one of the 19 vice presidents. First time on an official event in six months?
He will also be in a tv-show with Ma Long, Ding Ning, Fan Zhendong, Lin Gaoyuan, Wang Manyu, Zhao Lei et al. Run - a new era, Carinval of sport. It should start some time today. He is wearing the CNT-uniform during the tv-show. However, I don't really think this means that he will have anything to do with the team. 

When it comes to Wu, I'm not really sure how much he is willing to travel?

Simon_plays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 5:59am
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

WTTTC might be a challenge to CNT when Timo Boll and Jun Mazutani will play. Not in this world cup team event (by the way, it seems that no one cares about it AT ALL).

It is probably rated as less important than the Olympics, the singles WTTC, team WTTC, singles World Cup, Asian and Euro champs, China Open and German Open and the Tour Grand Finals. So 10th most important tournament. 

And I don't think that the CNT are really too worried about Boll or Mizutani. Boll sadly doesn't have time on his side and I can't think of any good wins Mizutani had against top Chinese players apart from Xu Xin at the Olympics team event.

kakapo View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 7:58am
Damned, Liu Guoliang looks 10 years older since he was banned. Must have been hard for him.
You can't enjoy an easy win.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 9:56am

His Japanese name is 張本智和, for which the transliteration is Harimoto Tomokazu. When pronounced in Chinese, it's Zhangben Zhihe.

Thanks!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 11:36am

He has grown up and developed his game in Japan and his parents moved there from China. 

They would not be so unhappy in China about it if the parents had moved almost anywhere else.  But Japan?????  In China that is a no-no.

As for LGL, over the long run of course he is right.  Nobody cares as much about TT as they do in China.  nobody has so many players and even remotely the same infrastructure.  And aside from Harimoto it isn't obvious that there are all that many players coming up from countries that used to challenge them. 

Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 12:19pm
"As for LGL, over the long run of course he is right.  Nobody cares as much about TT as they do in China.  nobody has so many players and even remotely the same infrastructure.  And aside from Harimoto it isn't obvious that there are all that many players coming up from countries that used to challenge them.  "

China not only has the mass number of players and can count on the infrastructure support from the government, there's also the vast number of coaches. I imagine the top coaches as some sort of brain trust where they keep an eye on any threat coming from the outside (good players).

Not many other countries do this. perhaps Germany, perhaps Hungary, IDK. Did Persson, Waldner, Appelgreen become head coaches? Maybe Persson is a coach, not sure, but Im talking as a group, teaching and developing the new generation of players?!? That's what's missing in the west. Unity.

FdT

Edited by Fulanodetal - 02/16/2018 at 12:19pm
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 12:23pm

FdT
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

"As for LGL, over the long run of course he is right.  Nobody cares as much about TT as they do in China.  nobody has so many players and even remotely the same infrastructure.  And aside from Harimoto it isn't obvious that there are all that many players coming up from countries that used to challenge them.  "

China not only has the mass number of players and can count on the infrastructure support from the government, there's also the vast number of coaches. I imagine the top coaches as some sort of brain trust where they keep an eye on any threat coming from the outside (good players).

Not many other countries do this. perhaps Germany, perhaps Hungary, IDK. Did Persson, Waldner, Appelgreen become head coaches? Maybe Persson is a coach, not sure, but Im talking as a group, teaching and developing the new generation of players?!? That's what's missing in the west. Unity.

FdT

Yes.  When I wrote infrastructure I meant to include the system of coaching that extends to every little village and that finds every kid with talent and provides them a place to play and learn from people who know what they are doing; and also players that force them to get better no matter how good they get.

Other countries have some of this, but to nowhere near the same extent as China.  Sweden where I learned to play was infinitely better than the US for TT.  There was a club for kids near where we lived.  About three blocks.  Imagine that it was like China (it's not but imagine anyway); the entire population of Sweden is about the same as one of China's second-tier big cities (and not Beijing, Shanghai or Chongqing, among others, which each have metropolitan areas more than double the population of Sweden.

It has been quite a few years (8) since I was last in Stockholm but I found a club to play there.  The guys there were telling me that it was a bit demoralizing that the tournaments they played were all the same people they had been seeing since they were kids (all these guys were middle-aged and had obviously been very well-schooled as players) and there really didn't seem to be as many kids coming up.  There as here in the US, there are a lot of other things kids can do with their time now.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 2:13pm
Elaborating on the last post, when my family moved back to the US, I often had to drive 4-7 hours to find good tournaments with even reasonable players (I lived in a small college town in the midwest, but typically had to play tournaments in Chicago or Minneapolis).  Before long my parents were not very willing to do that but fortunately there were a few other responsible adults in my town who were willing to take me with them when they went to tournaments.  In Sweden we took a bus or the subway a few stops to play against the next club.
igorponger View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 4:29pm
THREE KINGS COMING UP.

No doubt,
1) FangZhedong
2) Harimoto
3) Dima
is the "superior triade" to dominate the sport in the next ten years, with many recurring clashes, winning each other with a varying success.

And those three players are far superior to any others, I bet my eye.      
hunkeelin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 5:04pm

THREE KINGS COMING UP.

No doubt,
1) FangZhedong
2) Harimoto
3) Dima
is the "superior triade" to dominate the sport in the next ten years, with many recurring clashes, winning each other with a varying success.

And those three players are far superior to any others, I bet my eye.      

lin gao yuen??????????????????????
Get off my back.
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2018 at 7:12pm
Dima is going only one way in the next 2 years, and it ain't up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic