tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

2018 US Nationals - Feedback Wanted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
BRS View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2018 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by dsc13 dsc13 wrote:

Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Benfb mentioned that there are always lots more players than tables. Maybe you could consider having players in the RR groups who are not playing scorekeep for the ones who are? I've been told this is the way table tennis is run down to local level everywhere else in the world.

You would need a bunch of extra tables and chairs, and those cardboard score counters. But I think that a big majority of players would like that change.

That's the way it used to be run in the US also.  However, somewhere in the 1990-2003 time frame this practice died out.  I'm not sure when, because i stopped playing TT during that time.

In "the old days," when you entered a tournament, you would pay a $1 referee fee for every event you entered.  You would then receive $1 for every match you umpired, so theoretically, if you just umpired one match per event (usually the next one after you lost your match), you'd get your money back and every match would have an umpire.  After a while, players decided that the $1 wasn't worth the time, so they'd just leave after they were eliminated and forfeit the fee (almost all tournaments back then were single-elimination also).

Enterprising juniors back then would umpire every match they could, so they could earn an quick and easy dollar, so the adults stopped doing it.  Apparently at some point even juniors decided $1 wasn't worth it either!

I can see that in an SE event, but in the RR format Gordy is suggesting very few people are going to leave unless they are injured. Forget the $1 fee/rebate mess. If you have to wait around between matches anyway umpiring is less boring, and you get the benefit of having your own matches umpired as well.
dsc13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsc13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2018 at 3:27am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

I can see that in an SE event, but in the RR format Gordy is suggesting very few people are going to leave unless they are injured. Forget the $1 fee/rebate mess. If you have to wait around between matches anyway umpiring is less boring, and you get the benefit of having your own matches umpired as well.

I have a suggestion regarding this idea. This idea used to the norm in the USA also. Yet the practice is no longer followed. Find out why the concept died out and address that issue.   Then you might have a chance to bring it back.

emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2018 at 7:17pm
don't want to ask too soon Gordy but when you are ready can you let us know what extra doubles events you would like to add to this nationals? 0r should we wait till we know what the singles format will be like?
Stiga Clipper Wood, Viscaria,BBC,
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2018 at 9:52pm
Anyone on the forums should know that emihet is too damn polite and considerate in private and public for his own good. I know he likes to shake things up like I do, but he can actually spell diplomacy while BH-Man can barely get past 5 letters.

emihet is one of the estimated 25 players in the USA who actually craves doubles events. As much as macho man Singles player Barney Reed is, that guy is secret agent man advocate for doubles... hiz father 100x moar.

Long live doubles competitive matches !!!
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2018 at 8:46pm
is the tentative schedule for the Nationals still due to come in the middle of March?
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2018 at 2:19am
Originally posted by emihet emihet wrote:

don't want to ask too soon Gordy but when you are ready can you let us know what extra doubles events you would like to add to this nationals? 0r should we wait till we know what the singles format will be like?
+100

Sadly, I'm still trying to find a doubles partner for the World Veterans.  My original partner had to back out.
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2018 at 12:10pm
One of the few times that I wish I was just a little older...
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2018 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

+100

Sadly, I'm still trying to find a doubles partner for the World Veterans.  My original partner had to back out.
They will pair you up with someone who will be just a little bit older than your doubles partner at your last tournament! Lol
https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2018 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Vince64 Vince64 wrote:

Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

+100

They will pair you up with someone who will be just a little bit older than your doubles partner at your last tournament! Lol
Playing with a random partner is very difficult.  That's what I'm afraid of at the Worlds.
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2018 at 6:29pm
any word on the tentative schedule???
ranapratap View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranapratap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2018 at 1:44am
thats cool
pratap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic