Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Your best tips on table tennis equipment?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your best tips on table tennis equipment?
    Posted: 03/08/2018 at 2:43am
What are some of the best tips you've received (or given) about table tennis equipment?

It can be anything, for example rubber/blade/accessories recommendation, gluing tips, cleaning tips, etc.

What's your best tip?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Sponsored Links

rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 2:47am
Always get equipment that is 1 step slower than what you think you can handle.
BaiMile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaiMile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 4:45am
Try several pads, choose the one that best fits your style and immediately get rid of the others. Stop changing equipment and start training.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 6:04am
Easy - clean rubbers with plain tap water and attach sticky protective sheets when not playing. Nothing prolongs rubber life more.

Edited by vvk1 - 03/08/2018 at 6:05am
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 7:28am
When you get pissed off and throw your paddle, always throw it down flat (on the rubber). If you throw it leading with the edge it could bounce up and hurt someone.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 8:35am

If your an adult playing 1-3 times per week, under 2000 rating, push too much, put long pips OX on your backhand. Watch your playing level go up.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
BrunodeDanann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrunodeDanann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 8:42am
For me what works is:

Harder blade with medium or medium/soft rubbers, if its too fast go for thinner rubbers.

But it changes for each person, one have to find its own sweet spot of what works.
Harimoto ALC
HUrricane 3
Vega asia
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 9:05am
Reading reviews and listening to opinions of others, either on internet or in person, is no substitute for actually trying it out yourself. 

This can either be interpreted as endorsement of EJing, or a commentary on the usefulness of equipment reviews. May be both.
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 9:38am
1st You have to try few blade/rubber setups, once you find something you really like stick with it for longer time. The less you change your equipment the better player you will be!
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 9:47am
Don´t EJ. 
If you do it, a few years from now you will realize you could have had a nice car instead.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 10:42am
Stay away from Mytt is what I heard, choke full of EJ virus.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 10:49am
try out as much equipment as your better half will allow you Wink
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

try out as much equipment as your better half will allow you Wink

This can be put more formally in two different ways. 

The first:  The right number of blades to own is N + 1, where N is the number you currently own.

The second:  The right number of blades to own is S - 1, where S is the number that causes your partner to leave you.

The solution to this apparent paradox?  Try out the blades of all your clubmates.  Hopefully one of them is a completely degenerate EJ who buys something new every week and then you can try everything.  This i important because trying stuff before you buy it is the most economical equipment advice I can give.  This is because the truth in my experience, sadly, is that TT forums are not always the best way to make a decision about expensive equipment.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 2:40pm
Move your feet and your equipment won't matter.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 2:55pm
Don't put a reserve price when selling your equipment on eBay. Start low and let it find its own level.

Now, what are you selling?
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Move your feet and your equipment won't matter.

Recently I started playing with the idea of not thinking about the spin on the incoming ball or my shot selection and instead just moving to where the ball is as my primary objective and this has felt like a massive improvement in my game. 

Re the original question: Best advice has been to just get something tried and tested and stick with it. New equipment always has a 'Wow, this is interesting' factor but you'll lose all of the feeling that you've spent hours and hours building up. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 4:58pm
Get an idea of the level and the playing style of anyone giving you advice about equipment.  This helps you put it in context.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 5:45pm
Test before you buy.
CroNone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CroNone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 8:20pm
The only 2 things that I found that effected shot ability/quality (after 5 years in & a few years of EJ) is total blade weight and hardness of rubber. Once I had those 2 locked in based on preference, I didn't see huge differences swapping between different manufacturers of equipment.

Edited by CroNone - 03/08/2018 at 10:04pm
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Get an idea of the level and the playing style of anyone giving you advice about equipment.  This helps you put it in context.

Completely agree with this statement. 
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2018 at 10:12am
don't read any equipment reviews or engage in any equipment discussions on this forum.
EJ bug is all because you sit in front of a computer/ipad too long and play too little.
EJ-turned blade collector
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2018 at 3:36pm
Best advice I was given...by an ex pro from europe some years ago:

"try this: Hurricane 3 National Blue sponge on your FH."

We were discussing Hurricane 3 and how I was not impressed with the regular H3 that sells for 20$.
He sold me a sheet of Nat H3 BS for 90$ CAN. And I am using that brand ever since.

FdT
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2018 at 3:47pm
the most important is the marriage...not the rubber and not the blade, finding a great marriage between the two; according to your level and style, that is the key, and it requires knowledge and understanding of equipment and stroke technique

Edited by emihet - 03/09/2018 at 3:48pm
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2018 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by emihet emihet wrote:

the most important is the marriage...not the rubber and not the blade, finding a great marriage between the two; according to your level and style, that is the key, and it requires knowledge and understanding of equipment and stroke technique

Best answer yet!
808ponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 808ponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2018 at 12:07am
“Use your rubber.”
In order to get most spin you need to get the ball to sink into rubber. This would involve both technique and rubber choice (hardness,tackiness,thickness).
BTY Harimoto Stiga DNA M
bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2018 at 5:07am
the first couple years you play you dont have a style. practice everything.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic