Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Can you call a let when you're not 100% sure?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Simon_plays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you call a let when you're not 100% sure?
    Posted: 03/08/2018 at 2:45pm
When umpiring a match, is it an option to call a let on a point that you're not quite sure about?

For example, if you're not quite sure if the ball skimmed the edge or the side of the table, is it a valid option to just call a let? 

This happens quite often in training matches when there's no umpire but I haven't seen it happen in league play. However, a lot of the time I feel that the umpire makes a decision one way or the other without being quite sure themselves. Is there something in the rules about this?
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

When umpiring a match, is it an option to call a let on a point that you're not quite sure about?
No

For example, if you're not quite sure if the ball skimmed the edge or the side of the table, is it a valid option to just call a let?
No

This happens quite often in training matches when there's no umpire but I haven't seen it happen in league play. However, a lot of the time I feel that the umpire makes a decision one way or the other without being quite sure themselves. Is there something in the rules about this? No. It's simply a guidance to umpires

However, at low level matches, commonsense rules.

>60yo, losing weight 30 pounds to go

Yinhe pro feeling + T05/T05

When all else fails, there is always delusion.
Simon_plays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2018 at 7:22pm
Seems a shame that there's not a 'If the umpire isn't sure as to who won the point he can call a let' rule hidden away somewhere. 
obesechopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2018 at 7:45pm
My rule is, I can call let anytime I lose the point

Naturally, this does not apply to my opponent either. 

Edited by obesechopper - 03/09/2018 at 7:45pm
guillem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2018 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

My rule is, I can call let anytime I lose the point

Naturally, this does not apply to my opponent either. 

LOLLOLLOL

These damned choppers... 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic